Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

Can't decide between HSR or LT1 Intake for IROC-Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Can't decide between HSR or LT1 Intake for IROC-Z

Need some help deciding between the Holley Stealth Ram or the LT1 Intake conversion for my 89 IROC-Z drifting project. Car is currently a mostly stock L98 w/ MAF TPI. I'm going to be building a new motor for the car soon, will be using a 357ci 87+ hydro roller 4 bolt main Gen1 SBC w/ the 113 Corvette aluminum heads. Distributor is a small cap w/ remote coil. I want to run something that will make more top end power than TPI, so I know its going to involve an Intake change and a cam/valvetrain change. The two intake choices I'm considering right now are the HSR and the modified LT1. I've found the HSR locally for $450, around the same price the converted LT1 intake will be from the website, so the price is not what I'm worried about right now. Whichever one I end up with, a BBK 52mm throttlebody will be in front, and I'll choose the cam/valvetrain based on the intake. I know I'll need a custom PROM either way. My goal is 350whp with a 6000RPM redline, would like to get as close to that as possible. Meeting the goal would be awesome but I dunno if those heads will flow enough. I had originally decided on a HSR because I didnt trust the remote T-stat, but now I'm second guessing myself because I want to be able to run a strut tower bar (which won't clear the HSR). What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350ci SBC
Transmission: 700R4
If its a drifter...Id go with the HSR...more low end torque to pull the car into and out of the cornors while in a drift.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Maybe you can get the top of the HSR plenum milled to make a stb fit. I'm going to run an LT1 intake on mine because I got a good price on one already modified.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70
HSR would be the better choice for the 6000rpm redline but not sure how important a strut tower bar would be for a drifting car, either way make sure you have a wonderbar.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the input guys. The strut bar is definately something I want for this car, if I do end up with the HSR I would need to have something custom made, or as mentioned modify the HSR somehow to make more clearance (I know another member has already done this). Anyone else have any input?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
How much room is needed for clearance? I milled the fins off a HSR for somebody before. This might be enough room.

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Car...SRandTurbo.jpg
Old 06-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
I also had very good success fitting it under a UNCUT f bird hood by milling 5/16" off the top of the base. Much more and your into the fuel rail mounts.
I also still have the top fins.

I would venture to guess shave the top, mill the top of the base and that will give alittle over 1/2"-5/8"

If you want I will measure the height of mine from the base to the flat part of the top and you can compare to a TPI and see STB clearance.

that will get the HSR to a total height of 9 1/2- 9 5/8" or so. the TPI intake looks around 9 - 9 1/8". So if you have 3/4-1" clearance now you should be fine.

Last edited by V6sucker; 06-24-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Awesome ideas, thanks for the help guys. Solving the height problem and allowing the use of a TPI strut bar would rock, I know alot of people have asked about this in the past. I can take a picture of my TPI with a BMR strut bar to show clearance. From all the designs out there I think the BMR strut bar is the best chance to fit because its flat right above the intake plennum (not tubular all the way across) more clearance that way.

Man if I could use a strut bar with the HSR, then my choice here would come down to performance differences of each intake, and if the LT1 intake remote t-stat is reliable in a racing application (for some reason, feel kinda uneasy about that).
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

just stick a tape measure on the top of the intake that is on it now and measure the distance to the lowest part of the stut bar over the intake.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 369 Likes on 298 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
try and get some measurements on TPI vs HSR clearance... i think its only alittle bit taller...but dont quote me. i bet you could have someone modify a strut bar or actually fab one up without too much problems. look into a 3-4 inch cowl hood if necessary to allow for the bar to clear up and over the HSR

i bet you could easily shave down the HSR. mill the top down 1/2 inch or so and it would be GREAT. lol i seen them shave down intakes before

LT1 intake will produce a flat torque curve, but less peak torque overall than the HSR. but i guess in a drift car, if you get the car in the right gear and speed, it wont really matter. both intake choices are good choices. they make very good power. and its close between the two.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
try and get some measurements on TPI vs HSR clearance... i think its only alittle bit taller...but dont quote me. i bet you could have someone modify a strut bar or actually fab one up without too much problems. look into a 3-4 inch cowl hood if necessary to allow for the bar to clear up and over the HSR

i bet you could easily shave down the HSR. mill the top down 1/2 inch or so and it would be GREAT. lol i seen them shave down intakes before

LT1 intake will produce a flat torque curve, but less peak torque overall than the HSR. but i guess in a drift car, if you get the car in the right gear and speed, it wont really matter. both intake choices are good choices. they make very good power. and its close between the two.
the top fins are 5/16 or so to get completely smooth.
I had about that (5/16") milled from the top of the base.

other then that I put up the numbers he needs.
he just needs o take a ruler or some other measureing device and check the clearance he has now with the TPI intake, and if it is within the numbers I have given above he should be just fine with the STB he has now. Otherwise yes it would neeed to be a custom one..