Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

For those who want to Wet Sand.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: TH350
For those who want to Wet Sand.

My car is getting ready to paint pretty soon, but I thought I'd share this with you guy's. I will be doing this right after I paint the car, cause I know how good it turns out.

All I did was wet sand with 1000 to 2000 (to let you know, my car had very bad oxidization all over everything, nose, hood, roof, deck lid, etc, every place the sun could directly hit. This is why I'm re-painting the car, doing it myself. I'll keep full records of how I do it also.) As I said, the nose was peeling its clearcoat pretty badly. No problem, I just sanded all of this off to the base coat (be very careful if you do this, you might sand down to the primer if you dont watch it. I did on some spots, but I'm not worried cause I know its getting painted soon.) Which you dont do normally do, but that is what I did. Usually you wetsand to get rid of orange peel and minor scratches, which works great I might add, but I'm impressed to what it did to my hosed paint job. The nose looks shiney now, which it never did before.

After you wetsand, the car will look like total$hit, but after you buff and polish, it will look 10 times better than before. Oh, and the Wax I used, well I've had it for about 5 yrs. and never used it. It worked pretty good I thought.

These pics were taken at 7PM so the light is not that great, but I'll take more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails For those who want to Wet Sand.-mvc-094s.jpg  
Old 05-21-2002, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

The nose, no Camaro symbol. You can see how bad the hood still is.
Attached Thumbnails For those who want to Wet Sand.-mvc-091s.jpg  
Old 05-21-2002, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. Looks good! Do you have a DA sander and a rotary buffer or is that a... excuse the term.... hand job? I have no tools, myself.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

The wetsanding was done by hand, I really should have used the DA sander, but I was just messing around. I have a buffer also, which I think you would have to use on this type of job. hand jobbing the wax would probably not turn out right.