Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

New Parking Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Parking Light Mod

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'm trying, like so many others, to get the bright parking lights like on new Corvette's, F-Body's, etc. Basically my proposed setup is to have the high beam filament in the dual filament bulb to be constantly on whenever the parking lights are turned on, and when the turn signal lever is switched, for the high beam filament to blink on and off. I'm having a little trouble devising a wiring diagram to accomplish this and if anyone can provide some insight into how this should be wired, it would be appreciated. If anyone has a better, easier, or more cost-effective way to get the brightest possible parking lights, such as bulbs, etc. please let me know.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:19 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro "SC-350"
Engine: Mild 350 4-bolt
Transmission: 700R4 w/ TCI Stall
why bother???
Old 01-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying. When you hit your turn signal you want the high beams to blink? Also do you have a bird or a camaro?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Its been done I believe... do a search for Daytime Running Lights or DRLs.

There was a schematic floating around here somewhere, but I don't have it.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:43 AM

Yeah, that's right Inwo, to have the bright filament in the parking lamp to blink..Also, I have a Camaro. I have the schematic for DRL's and it's looking like that's the only way to do it, however, it's complicated with a circuit board and is beyond my skill level and I dont really feel it's worth all the effort.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro, 2015 Audi A4
Engine: V8
Transmission: 700R4
perhaps some clarification is in order. You've all seen the bright parking lights on the new corvettes and fbodies, it makes them look pretty cool. What he's trying to accomplish is making his parking lights as bright as those on the new cars. He wants to do this by putting in a high beam sealed beam bulb into the parking light, but he's having trouble because our parking lights are also our front turn signals so they have to blink, he's having trouble wiring them to blink and he wants to know how he can get the high beam bulb he's putting in his parking lights/turn signals to blink.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:08 PM

Yea, that's almost spot-on what I want to do. Maybe when I said "high beam" that was confusing. What I meant by high beam was the brighter filament in the dual filament bulbs that is turned on and blinks when the turn signal switch is flipped. But, like you said, ontogenesis, it will be easier to use a single filament bulb in place of the standard 1157 bulb. My only concern is that I've seen the dual filament bulbs in 27/8W, 35/5W, and even 50/15W from MacEwen. The reason I was still considering trying to use a dual filament bulb is because I'm not sure of what the wattage ratings are on other single filament bulbs, and I wanted to use the brighter filament in the dual filament bulbs to be on constantly, and blink whenever the turn signal lever is flipped.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 irocz
Engine: 350tip
Transmission: 700r4
Why not mod the bulb and plug from a 4th gen to fit in the thirdgen parking lamps?
Old 01-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
I can't figure why any1 would want DRL's?!
Old 01-06-2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
same here! as I posted earlier....
Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Okay gents. Here's the thing. He asked a question, a specific question. Follow along with me here...

This is a helpful post and is on topic:
Its been done I believe... do a search for Daytime Running Lights or DRLs.
This is neither:
why bother???
THIS is a helpful post and again, is on topic:
Why not mod the bulb and plug from a 4th gen to fit in the thirdgen parking lamps?
Sadly, this is not:
Okay, quiz time! From an original non-helpful poster comes another, YES ANOTHER, astounding bit of hyperbole:
same here! as I posted earlier....
Which is it? Helpful and on-topic? Or Non-helpful and off the topic of the post? 3... 2... 1...

If you said Non-helpful and pretty much a waste of time (hell, you may even have gone so far as to say "post *****" which is good too) - give yourself a cookie. If you said "Helpful and on-topic" then you should call up Ripleys Believe It Or Not and show them how you get along in day to day living with your head in your ***. I mean, damn, you even refer to your original non-helpful off-topic post! Aieeeeeee!

It's a fairly simple thing really. If you wanna bullsh!t - go to nethirdgen.org. If you wanna talk technical and have helpful insights, please post here, but stay on topic.

Friggin signal to noise ratio is killing me.

My bit of "on topic" here is just to say, be careful going to higher wattage bulbs as they get pretty hot and you can melt the housing. Ask me how I know. If you can't do the wiring of that schematic that is floating around here somewhere ask one of the guys that posted in that post that HAS done it to help you out. Offer a case of beer or something. You'd be surprised what people would do to help out a fellow thirdgenner. Not to mention a case of beer is pretty sweet too.

Steve
Part of the "board SPECOPS" team
Old 01-06-2003, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
You ever think we might be trying to talk him out of it without being obvious??
Old 01-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Oh! ****, now that you mention it, no I didn't think of that! See, I was reading his post and when he said "I'm having a little trouble devising a wiring diagram to accomplish this and if anyone can provide some insight into how this should be wired, it would be appreciated. If anyone has a better, easier, or more cost-effective way to get the brightest possible parking lights, such as bulbs, etc. please let me know." I thought that meant he wanted help doing it. I didn't read deeply enough into his post to realize that he really wanted to be talked out of it. I also have my "Use ESP when reading posts to find out what members really want" turned off in my user control panel. I need to pay more attention.

:hail: Thanks for setting me straight. :rockon: This is probably why I don't understand women either.

Take it easy,
Steve
Old 01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I aslo looked into doing htis on my91z28. The first thing that needs to be done is eaither get new lenses that are clear and glossy or sand and buf your old ones.
I read somewhere that if you reverse the leads going into the bulb that it will make the bulb brighter. basically the + is no - and vise versa. Not sure if it is true or not just my 2 cents.
How about those new LED bulbs
Old 01-06-2003, 05:41 PM

Just a little info to make up for my "off topic" posts earlier....I know that if you grind of the lower prong, on the base of the bulb, it will go in the other way and the bright filament will stay on and ther dim one would blink with the turn signal...

Sorry, no pics of the procedure...
Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
scauffiel, please, dear sir...let me buy you a beer. Hell, I'll buy you a brewery.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Yeah, right on.. I didn't want to be talked out of it. Like I said, I want the bright parking lights when the parking lights are turned on by way of the headlight switch. I don't want DRL's. The only reason I wanted to refer to the DRL wiring diagram in the first place is that maybe I could have modified it to operate by way of the headlight switch rather than whenever the ignition is turned on. To scauffiel, what wattage were you running whenever you melted your housings? I will look tomorrow for the bulb and plug from a 4th gen, and the feasability of modifying it to fit in a 3rd gen. I did remove, clean, buff, and polish my original housings, and they look good as new. I never thought of the LED lights, where can I get them? I did file off the lower prong and the bright filament comes on now, however the light bulb wont stay in the socket now, and I dont believe the dimmer filament will be visible whenever it's blinking.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I think this will work the way you're wanting using 3 relays. Don't trust it fully though since I drew it out. Someone with some actual wiring knowledge may want to look over/correct it but, to me, it seems right...
Attached Thumbnails New Parking Light Mod-drl.gif  

Last edited by deadbird; 01-06-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:39 PM

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Like I said, I'm not the most expierienced when it comes to automotive wiring, but I your guys expeirience. So if anyone else wants to look over the diagram, just to double check, go for it. Any other suggestions? I'm going to accumulate parts and perform this mod whenever I upgrade the headlights to H4.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
deadbird, seems like that would work. I'll have to find a copy of the DRL diagram I've got somewhere. its a little more complicated than that but only uses 2 relays.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:14 AM

Hey Texas, what are those rims you have on your photoshop sig pic?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI w/ l98 cam
Transmission: T5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45 posi disc 9 bolt
Originally posted by fast83camaro
Just a little info to make up for my "off topic" posts earlier....I know that if you grind of the lower prong, on the base of the bulb, it will go in the other way and the bright filament will stay on and ther dim one would blink with the turn signal...

Sorry, no pics of the procedure...
are you saying if you grind off the lower prong on the bottom of the 1157 bulb when you have your parking lights on the brighter filament will be on (therefor being brighter than normal) and then when you put the turn signal on the the light will go dim to indicate the turn?

if that is what you are saying i will have to try that i have been wanting to do this for a while but i couldnt figure out how i could pull it off but that sounds very easy.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears
rather than grinding the little nub on the bulb and risking it not holding in the socket well, you could snip the two wires, reverse them and solder+heatshrink it. This way you can replace the bulb easily in the future. Although maybe for testing to see if you want to do it, you can mess with the bulb first.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by fast83camaro
I know that if you grind of the lower prong, on the base of the bulb, it will go in the other way and the bright filament will stay on and ther dim one would blink with the turn signal...
That is... just.... well, right but, wrong for the question asked.

If you 'filp' the bulb, the 'low' (less bright) element will light when you use your turn signal. Making it much less visable during the day.With the marker lamps on, the 'high' (brighter) element will be lit. When you use your signal, the 'high' will stay lit. The 'low' obviously do not have the intensity to overcome the 'high' elements brightness.

(yes, I know it's an old post back from the dead)
Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Wow. Resurrection.

Either way the first thing I was going to suggest was just to reverse the wires going to the housing. That'll switch it so the bright (previously blinker) comes on when the running light used to and the running light will come on when you hit the blinkers.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by iansane
Wow. Resurrection.

Either way the first thing I was going to suggest was just to reverse the wires going to the housing. That'll switch it so the bright (previously blinker) comes on when the running light used to and the running light will come on when you hit the blinkers.
the thread wasnt that old...

but on my iroc there are 3 wires going to the parking light. two black one green. which ones should i switch.

also i did that little thing were i grinded down the little prong on the bulb and it did make the high filiment come on for the parking lights but the blinker didnt work. when i put the left turn signal on the light just stayed bright and inside the car the green left arrow stayed on it didnt blink. any suggestions on why it is doing that?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by maroon88iroc
any suggestions on why it is doing that? [/B]
If you 'filp' the bulb, the 'low' (less bright) element will light when you use your turn signal. Making it much less visable during the day.

With the marker lamps on, the 'high' (brighter) element will be lit.

When you use your signal, the 'high' will stay lit.

The 'low' obviously does not have the intensity to overcome the 'high' elements brightness.
The marker light does not turn off when you use the signal.

The low element also probably doesn't draw enough juice to make the flasher relay work properly (similar to having a burnt out bulb).

If DRL's were as simple as just flipping the bulb (or wires which does the same thing).. I wouldn't have went through the trouble of making the above, apparently unneeded, diagram.
GM probably wouldn't have went through the trouble of making a module specific for that purpose either.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

so even if i switch the wires to the parking light it still wont work properly correct? i might have to take a look at the drl's
Old 01-25-2006, 07:41 PM

Car: Red on Red 89 RS
Engine: LO3 305 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt / 2.73
You can wire that up with 1 relay and a resistor instead of that huge 3 relay mess.

My turn filament is lit with parking lights, when the blinker is activated it shuts the light off and on. The low watt filament is not used.

Last edited by jimp2001; 01-25-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

jimp2001 that is exactly what i want to do to mine. thanks for the info. can you explain to me how you wired it up and what relays and resistors you used?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
TGO Supporter

The 3 relay 'mess' is for the turn lamps to be lit w/o having the marker lights on (which also lights the rear markers). Or, as the original poster was asking for, DRL lights.

If you can do that with one relay... by all means, show me up.

If some $1 junkyard relays and exrtra grabbed wiring is still lto expensive... by all means... grind the bulb and flip it.

I thought I was trying to help.... apparently not.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Originally posted by deadbird
If some $1 junkyard relays and exrtra grabbed wiring is still lto expensive... by all means... grind the bulb and flip it.

I was under the impression that when the signal lights blink, the marker lights turn off. Sorry. And to me, the original poster didn't specify DRL's, just the bright parking lights associated with DRL's.

I need to get around to the DRL mod, although it's almost habit to flip the parking lights on whenever I get in the car.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:18 AM

Car: '87 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700r4
Originally posted by jimp2001
You can wire that up with 1 relay and a resistor instead of that huge 3 relay mess.

My turn filament is lit with parking lights, when the blinker is activated it shuts the light off and on. The low watt filament is not used.
I want to try this! What size resistor would I need to use? Does the resistor go before or after the relay?
Old 01-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by deadbird
The 3 relay 'mess' is for the turn lamps to be lit w/o having the marker lights on (which also lights the rear markers). Or, as the original poster was asking for, DRL lights.

If you can do that with one relay... by all means, show me up.

are you talking to me? i really appreciate the diagram but i would rather do it with the one relay and resistor b/c i have my parking lights on all the time anyways so thats not a problem and the wiring would be much easier. and the flip the bulb thing didnt work for me i dont know if i did it wrong or what...
Old 01-26-2006, 10:27 PM
TGO Supporter

I was adressing jimp2001 obviously.

I wasn't trying to come off as the -ss I apparently did in the above, re-reading it tongiht. But, a 1 relay diagram would still be good to see. I know how it would work but, for others, it would be nice.

I don't know how to explain the flipping the bulb thing any more simple except, I'm sure you been behind a car that had one brake light on (bright) and one not (dim) at night.

The one side (dim) lit with the brake (the car is stopping)... the other stayed bright.

This is a car with the bulb in backwards. Same things works with the front signals.

The easist solution is not always the best.

I'll stay out of it from here.