Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Please help , cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help , cluster lights

Howdy, new member here but have read a lot of posts. I have an '86 Firebird I am working on and I'm at a loss. The cluster lights (orange back lighting, gear shift lights, climate control lights) come on when you turn the key on. If you just turn the parking lights or headligts on with the key off no dash lights come on but if I turn the key on even if the headlight switch is off the cluster lights come on. I've checked the wires for splicing etc cant find any hacking ???? Any idea's , thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Re: Please help , cluster lights

Originally Posted by tnrednneck
Howdy, new member here but have read a lot of posts. I have an '86 Firebird I am working on and I'm at a loss. The cluster lights (orange back lighting, gear shift lights, climate control lights) come on when you turn the key on. If you just turn the parking lights or headligts on with the key off no dash lights come on but if I turn the key on even if the headlight switch is off the cluster lights come on. I've checked the wires for splicing etc cant find any hacking ???? Any idea's , thanks in advance
It sure sounds like some hacking has gone on. They obviously work. They are just being powered by a different source. Maybe the splice is hidden in behind the dash area somewhere. Here is a diagram so you can check around for power where it should be.
Attached Thumbnails Please help , cluster lights-ip-lighting.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Pontiac TA
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Please help , cluster lights

It sounds like someone might have disconnected the interior hi-lo switch and rewired to ignition power wire by fuse box. The interior hi-lo switch is above the headlight switch. I believe ignition switch power is pink w/black stripe heavy gauge wire.