Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel pouring out of my charcoal line

Old 09-03-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 1LE Disc LSD
Fuel pouring out of my charcoal line

My car is a 1985 tpi 305 camaro.

I removed everything emission wise from my car because i live in florida and we dont have emission control. I got a "custom" chip so i dont have a check engine light for this.

Anyways my issue is once my car gets warm its starts dumping fuel out the charcoal line, it has the pressure of what looks like a water fountain. When i loosen my gas cap i hear pressure releasing.

Today i got my car towed to the body shop and it was towed with the rear in the air and it started pouring gas out the charcoal line.

Ive read a million threads on here and i see things involving vented gas caps and other things but has anyone ever had fuel actually come out the hard line?

I want to just cap it off put i dont understand tank pressure at all.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The charcoal line leads to nothing its just open in the engine bay.

Last edited by TBRays98; 09-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Fuel pouring out of my charcoal line

Fuel pump ever replaced? Possible that the return line and CCP line at the fuel tank are reversed. This has the engine compartment CCP line running to the bottom of the fuel tank.

RBob.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
Fuel pump ever replaced? Possible that the return line and CCP line at the fuel tank are reversed. This has the engine compartment CCP line running to the bottom of the fuel tank.

RBob.
Thanks for the reply Rbob
The lines are on correct and the sending unit and pump are brand new. Could that white vent thing coming off the sending unit being clogged cause this? Do you know if that vent sucks air in or lets air out?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Fourth Gen '94 camaro
Engine: 350 Gen II
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Well i had that happen once on my '74 corvette when i let the tank become pressurized. I ran a return to the tank with a non vented cap. Once i filled the tank and made a sharp right turn sure enough raw fuel came out the canister right next to the exh header pipe - scary experience. For some reason the float check vlv didnt stop liquid flow out the tank vent.

Now my '94 camaro gets pressurized all the time and in the hot summer time it blows pretty hard out the filler neck when i take the cap off. Well the '94 has to pass smog and the gas cap has to seal so that system was made to run pressurized. So im guessing the FI cars need a check vlv or float check vlv in the tank vent to charcoal canister line to prevent this. My '94 sending unit has 4 lines attached and 1 would be supply from fuel pump and a 2nd return line from the injectors and a 3rd line to vent the tank and that was a little overpress vlv that hangs down by itself. 4th line has to go to the charcoal canister and that has to be a vent for the tank also but i dont see that canister line going any further. U should only get vapor to that canister due to a check vlv or the plumbing design.

My guess is the over press vent is clogged and the tank is getting way over-pressurized. Also could be your gas cap as many gas caps has built in over-pressure relief protection but i admit i really dont know if yours does or doesnt.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by TBRays98
Thanks for the reply Rbob
The lines are on correct and the sending unit and pump are brand new. Could that white vent thing coming off the sending unit being clogged cause this? Do you know if that vent sucks air in or lets air out?
The mushroom vent above the axle does both. It's main purpose is to allow air into the tank as fuel is consumed. But will also relieve pressure if it gets too high.

RBob.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Cardo thanks for the insight. Same Rbob, im going to head to the scrap yard and find a new vent. Ill let everyone know the results but it wont be for awhile since my car is getting painted.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM

At this point until you can find out what is going on I'd cap off the vent line in the engine compartment. Fuel is extremely volatile and it will ruin your day if it lights off.

Or, put the CCP canister back in. I've re-installed them on several vehicles over the years.

RBob.