Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Installing stripes/decals perfectly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing stripes/decals perfectly?

My IROC came with the "decal delete" package, but I'm going to put on a set of '89 decals and stripes.

The question is: should I attempt this or have it done? It HAS to look factory. Any tips if I do it myself?
Old 02-07-2003, 10:16 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
When I was a supervisor for a trucking outfit here in town, they also sold Featherlite trailers. The owner got tired of sending all the semi's up to featherlite to get the emormous graphics package installed, so he sent me up there for a 1 full day crash course in their specalized paint and grafics department. BADAZZ work taking place in there fellas, most of the CART, NASCAR, MOTO-X, numerous music stars coaches all get the custom paint/graphics so these boys know their shiiiit. Anyways, to do a "factory" or better than factory job takes alot of measuring of the "dry" layout, taping (masking tape) of the decals in place-dry, then depending how good you are, you can peel the backing off and start squeeging the decal down or spray lots of water on the cars surface as this will give you plenty of time to slide it around into position if it does'nt go in the just the right spot. I just used a windex bottle, filled most the way with water, a few drops of JOY dishwashing soap, and a couple cap fulls of rubbing alcohol. The little bit of JOY soap helped it slide around a little easier and the rubbing alcohol helped the water to dissipate quicker once the decal is in the right spot. You might have to let it sit for 5-10min, before removing the top side paper off the decals as they sometimes tend to pull of the graphics with it. I had a soft & hard sqeege-they were about the size of a credit card, wax pencil for marking on the vehicle and the decal for a reference point so once I started laying them down I could make sure they were goping in the right place and not off to one side or the other, a 3M needle pin to poke a hole in any air pockets that might arise-you'll get them 4 sure, happens to the best. Rest assured the sun or a heat gun will help flatten them out. Experience is the biggest thing, I've probably forgot alot of stuff. It's easy once you've done it awhile, but when I first started, man I took forever-had to make sure everything was perfect. Proudest work by far was a 38' Budweiser trailer. Lots of rivets,hinges, etc... to work around and man is that damn eagle ever big on the rear doors.