Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

how-to polish intake(maybe wheels too) my method.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
how-to polish intake(maybe wheels too) my method.

hello everyone i read the post on here well sticky about polishing wheels and decided to give it a shot on my intake.
so i thought id write up this to tell how i done it and steps involved and what it loks like.
ill post a pic and link at the end not great it was late and was heading in for tonight when i took them il scan 35 mms when they come back.

ok 1st off tools used or needed,

1. a buffer,die grinder or dremel w/ the felt cones for buffing, would work i guess, or on a drill. I used a big electric grinder/polisher.
Also some of them lil sand paper rolls or cones for the dremel or die grinder.
2.Sand paper, I used some 80, 220, and 400 wet.
3.rubbing compound, May substitue polishing compound not sure?
4. mag and aluminum polish, I used eagle ones kind. I couldn't get mothers.
5.optional stuff, A tool cleaning disk or wire brush as i call it. Mounts to a drill, looks like a sponge but it's hard and works better then a wire brush. I think they are paint/rust removal disks is what they are called.
Last but not least, alot of time and a 6 pack or 12 pack of yur favorite adult beverage in this case, bud light.

I began yesterday by tryin to sand it smooth w/ a d/a and 80 grit paper. I soon found it hard to get a d/a in between the plenums and underhood w/ it up. I then switched and cut some pieces of 80 grit to fit my smallest die grinder disk holder. I think its 2 inches not sure tho. I glues them to it w/ feathering disk adhesive used for applying paper to d/a's
The die grinder worked good. The smoother grinding disks worked and so did the gasket remove disks too. They did however leave swirlys in it or black stuff from the gasket removal ones. So I stuck w/ the 80 grit paper on it. Then i found that the drill w/ the removal disk thing on it worked the best of all.
So you might be able to skip the rough stuff and use the drill w/ the rust /paint remover thing on it and get the intake smooth. Once it was all smoothed the edges were still rough so I'd recomend the lil sand paper rolls or even better the cone shaped sand paper rolls to get in there good w/. Once done I used 220 paper dry and sanded it all down good. Then wet sanded it al w/ 400 grit. Took out my bufer and applied a good amount of rubing compound and buffed hard w/ buffer til the compound was gone.
Then i applied some mag and alum. polish, took otu the buffer and buffed that til it turned black then kept buffin , buffed as much as i could to get all the mag polish off.
Then i took the extra step and applied another coat of mag polish and doen it all by hand as directed on the container of polish.
Turned out quit well I was very pleased w/ it.
You can see the pics on my site heres the link and im attaching one here as well.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/509905/6
Attached Thumbnails how-to polish intake(maybe wheels too) my method.-cmpfip.jpg