Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Help with T-top seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with T-top seal replacement

i was just wondering how much it would cost to have my seals changed and where would i even take it too...i have tried several body shops in my area and they wont do it any help is appericated
Old 09-21-2000, 10:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Several companies sell the T-top weather striping replacements. Try Classic Industries, Next Generation or Ames Performance. It will run you about $200 for everything you need. Then check the tech articles on this web site for the instructions on how to actually do it yourself. I did it and the only advice I have is don't be cheap with the adhesive. Put too much and wipe the excess. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 09-21-2000, 01:26 PM

even more important than the adhesive, is the sealant. Put as much of it on as you can. I changed my weatherstripping once and put very little on, and my car leaked. I had to redo the entire process (which meant buying another weatherstripping kit). The second time I did it I used a whole tube of bathroom silicone sealant. I put a large amount under the metal t-top spacer and then put more between the t-top spacer and the actual weatherstripping. Now my car is super water tight with no leaks. Remember, you can't really put too much on.....
Old 09-22-2000, 10:37 AM

Car: '87+'02 Z28
Engine: 454 LSX
Transmission: T-56, Viper output shaft
Axle/Gears: Strage 12-bolt 3.73:1
I just re-sealed my t-tops, and I strongly suggest that you do not use silicone! It works great for a while, but will eventually lose a seal. I have done this job several times (on different camaro's) and what I use is a 3M Multipurpose Automotive Seam & Joint Sealer (dries to a rubbery texture and it's a bright white in color)- use this to attach the T-bar/plate to the chassy(make sure you remove this, clean it up and/or replace it if it's rusty, water can work its way under this and soak into the headliner, so don't skip this step! Also use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (it comes in a black and yellow color - I would get the black) to apply the weather stripping. Where the weatherstripping attaches to the body with screws (the 4 corners) make sure that these areas have a good tight seal! My car for example has a huge gap in these areas, and I had to use a harder sealant 3M Seam & Joint sealer #08505-(I think this is the correct number, I will let you know if it's a diff. #) to build up this area. A word of advice, be patient, apply thin coats of this joint sealer and let it dry, then apply again.If you want, e-mail me: nleotcs@hotmail.com