Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

after i polish my plenum could i spray clear coat on it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after i polish my plenum could i spray clear coat on it?

just wondering if that would help protect the shine a little bit more thought i could run to the hardware and pick some up that way it would hold its shine and i could just wipe it down and maybe wax it or something anyone tried this? seems like it would work just wondering. thanks for any info

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter, march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it)
best 1/4 mile run of 14.44@ 96.53
this run is before the new exhaust system
Old 02-26-2001, 04:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: Built 383 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27:1 Posi
Actually, if you don't polish, and then clear, the result will be the same. I've done wheels like this, and it's funny. The clear won't stick as well to polished surfaces, and when it does cover, it looks duller. But if you just clear coat it, it looks shinier than if you left it alone.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
http://www.spinfrenzy.com/stingerssx...easures.html#4
Old 02-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stingerssx:
Actually, if you don't polish, and then clear, the result will be the same

</font>
The surface you are comparing must not be high polished then.

Hooking88formula, you will find most "off the shelf" clear coats will turn out horribly. Your best bet would be to just maintain the shine with Windex and paper towels and maybe buff out once every blue moon with MOTHERS.

The other alternative, which would be the right way, would be to have it powdercoated. This would maintain 85% of the high polished look with 100% durability. If you are not familiar with powdercoating, it is a process where powder is shot on a surface then later baked. Very very durable. It would probably be $20-$30 for a plenum. Shop around

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL,MSD boost-master,Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,custom chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor, Bosch in-line pump(w/stock pump), SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,short shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:58 PM

hey thanks formula yeah after i wrote that i got to thinking bout it the heat from the motor probably would turn the clear coat a nasty *** color or something also well the extension is done so far taking the plenum and the runners off tuesday to do those!! plenum extension looks great though hard to beleive that u can get something that rough looking turn out so shiny?? one question though being i bought a brand new extension will the old faded plenum turn out the same shineness?

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter, march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it)
Old 02-27-2001, 11:50 AM
Banned

I didn't remove my runners to polish them with MOTHERS. If you do remove them though, you may as well polish them the same way you did the plenum.

As for your other question. Once you get done polishing the plenum and plenum extension. They will look EXACTLY the same. I just did this 2 weeks ago for a friend. Once the plenum's old "cast" finish is removed, it will sparkle like a crystal. Don't forget to view the pieces you're polishing under several different lights and angles. This is to assure you are removing ALL of the cast. If you see little dark patches all over it (which would be left over cast), sand again until they are gone.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited February 27, 2001).]
Old 02-27-2001, 03:42 PM

i can start over once its polished right? i do have a few dark spots in it but they still shine but if i can start over i will. yeah iam going to do the runners to cause i think it will help set it off. are the head covers polishable also? i got to lookin at them today so i think that would help set it off to. i will finish it all next week my gf hit a deer with our gtp so that is in getting fixed when we get it back i will finish it and it goes in for paint next week also!

------------------
Old 02-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Banned

Yes, once it's polished you can do it over anytime. The dark spots are just cast not removed and will need to be removed for a PERFECT finish. It is a lot of work removing cast. One of the many things I dread in life.

The valve covers are aluminum I believe. I personally have never tried polishing them. Try polishing in a "out of sight" area as a test on the valve covers. If everything looks ok you should be able to get it looking like the plenum. If you have a/c still I would not waste my time on the passenger side valve cover, as it is completely covered up anyhow.

After you're done polishing, the alternator is going to stand out. May as well remove that and use the same process. Or save yourself a lot of work and buy a chrome one

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL,MSD boost-master,Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,custom chip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor, Bosch in-line pump(w/stock pump), SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,short shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.
Old 02-27-2001, 11:54 PM

thanks formula i think i might as well start on it now! it actually goes rather quick after u get past the 80 grit then it slows when u are at the 400 but everything else is a breeze!! the wd40 works excellent for wet sanding i tell u it looks good now but i will make it better! hey u got any pics of your engine compartment? would love to see it. i will share mine after i get everything done..

------------------