Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

engine bay painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine bay painting

I know its a 6er, but I was wondering if any one could give me any suggestions on painting the engine bay with the motor and everything in place. Im planing on changing the color from red to black. plus the paint in the bay is looking alittle nasty. thanks

------------------
92 Camaro 3.1 V6 (Red)
-Hypertech Chip
-Dynomax Exhaust
-Taylor Spiral Spark Plug Wires
-2.5 Harwood Lift-Off Cowl Hood
-B&M Megashifter
-B&M Shift Improver
-15x8 Crager 5-Star Chrome Rims
-JSP Apache Wing
-Yellow Weapons-R Intake Filter
-Custom Cold Air Intake
-KYB Shocks & Struts
-Borla Exhaust Tips
-MSD Coil
-Air Lift 1000 Load Assist Springs
-EnergySuspension Swaybar Bushings and Links
Old 03-22-2001, 10:05 PM

it cant be done with the engine in there. well it could if you lived down the street from me and we called you a *******. but no one in their right mind would paint an engine bay with a motor in there sorry man dont mean to dissapoint you.

------------------
Jarrad
1990 IROC-Z L98 350 TPI
TH-700R4
G92- 7.5" 10 Bolt 3.23gears
Bright Red Hardtop/ Grey Custom Interior
5,507 IROC's Hardtops/Ttops; 2,415 5.7L IROC's Produced in 1990

DAILY DRIVER: 1991 S10 2.5L/5SPD WITH CAMARO RIMS
Old 03-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

I agree with Rare Roc. The only way to do it with the engine in there is get paint all over the engine or miss a lot of spots and have trouble cleaning it and making it so the paint will not stick.

------------------
Mike Kenny
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305 TBI
My Website
Administrator at Auto-Clubs.net
My Baby
Old 03-22-2001, 11:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
If you're really up for tackling this with the engine in,,, it can be done w/out namecalling,, especially w/a v6

If you are comfortable w/unhooking most of you inner fender mounted accessories (labeling things you disconnect) and a few other assorted things engine related and can be w/out the car for the time it takes you to do this,, it's not so bad.

First off you want to start with a clean engine bay,, starting with a few good baths w/degreaser at the pressure wash. If you aren't close to a car wash,,, degreaser (power clean or a similar product will work) a small scrub brush and a garden hose will work.

After all is clean (or as good as you can get it,,, start to disassemble.

After you are done with disassembly,,, clean the area to be painted with a silicone/wax remover to clean missed areas.

Go out and invest in some scoth brite bads (available at many auto parts stores,,, made by 3M) and go to town on the paint under the hood.

Using an air gun or tack cloth (or windex & paper towels) clean all the scuffed areas of loose paint.

Wipe back down with silicone/wax remover (also available at parts stores)

Mask & paper off anything you don't want painted and (plastic comes in bigger sizes to cover things like the engine) lay some color.

Priming (IMO) isn't exactly necissary here because it is just under the hood and things like weather & road debris do not effect the paint here like it would on the rest of the car.

Although not a simple task on our cars,, painting under the hood can be done if you have the time and patience.

ps,,, someone has posted pics of thier older car that they painted (engine and engine bay)while the motor is in the car,,, it's super clean an very sweet looking.

------------------
My Firebird It Lives Again!!
Your Car Here?
Part Diagrams