Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Painting the Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn
Painting the Airbox

I need to repaint the airbox on my 305 TPI motor (you know the box that the air filters are in).

My question is what is the best way to re-paint it? What paint should I use to get a nice shine?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel
Re: Painting the Airbox

Well, how hot do the airboxes get on TPI motors? I would imagine they stay pretty cool. If they dont get real hot, I would not use engine enamel.

Usually, if I paint something rattle can, I prefer duplicolor. They have great nozzles, and better quality paint.

You will want to start with a duplicolor primer. Grey or black or whatever will work best. They have filler primer, sandable primer, high-build primer, and regular automotive primer. What you pick will depend on how much scratches there are. The sandable primer, you can sand it dry with some 1000 grit or something, and get a good smoothe surface before you lay the base. I would recommend a few thick coats of primer. Lay it on at medium range, not where it runs, but not where it is thin. After a few coats and drying (sometings a heat gun will dry the coats faster, but use it cautiously because it can melt the plastic and burn the paint or leave bubbles) use the 1000 to block out any orange peel, or imperfections. Sometimes, after sanding the primer, I find it useful to lay another very thin coat of primer, to smooth out the sanding marks. Let it all dry.

Now you need to pick lacquer or enamel. I have had good luck with the lacquer. Get a can of gloss black acrylic lacquer, and clear coat acrylic lacquer. Or enamel if you prefer.

Now, lay down the black base coat. I prefer not to lay it on real thick, I kinda mist it untill the whole thing is even color. Then do another coat for good measure. Let the black dry. With aerosol, by misting it on instead of laying it on thick, you can avoid orange peel.

For the clear coat, you want to really hose it on. And use alot of coats like 4 or 5 if you can, or more if you are getting good results. I like to think I am spraying it on to the point -just before- it would start to run. Orange peel is perfectly fine. It will gain a really glossy appearence, it will just be textured from the orange peel.

Let it cure in a warm area for a whole day or more. When it is rock solid, you can use some 1500 or 2000 grit to wetsand the clear very gentle. Like on a car paint job. After wetsanding, use some buffing compound and buff it to a perfect shine. Apply glaze or a good wax as a finish.

Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

I painted mine! Smooth gloss black. I actually had my painter do it for me while I had some other stuff done, but he said no biggie, and just prepped it like any other body panel. I did go through and sand off all the little casting flaws and anything else that was sticking up at all.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

You could try polishing the plastic like people with 'birds do to their tail lights. It'd probably work. Dunno whether it would be stronger than paint though, or if it would scratch up easier.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 z28
Engine: 305 v8 5.0L
Transmission: T5 5SPD
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I don't know, but that glossy black on the airbox is sexy