Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Found my door smashed in this morning @#$%^!!&&**

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
Found my door smashed in this morning @#$%^!!&&**

Some **** who lives in my apartment complex smashed my driver's side door in this morning and left before I got there. I saw it when i walked up to the car to drive to college. The good news is that he left all his paint on the door, and he has the only yellowish beige truck around here. I already reported it as a hit and run to the cops and they told me to call them once the guy gets back today.

I want to know what my legal options are. I could go nuts and burn the bastard's truck to the ground or break all his windows but it won't solve a thing.

What if he denies it because I wasn't there to see it happen? You know he could have ten different alibis that he didn't do it. If he refuses to admit guilt, would my uninsured motorist coverage pay for fixing the damage? I would do this only as a last resort because I don't want to screw up my premiums.

I want to make sure I nail his @$$ and get money from him to fix it up or get his insurance company to pay or something. Just something as long as it gets restored to its original condition. I swear it pissed me off so bad today, I could have bitten the little ****'s head off. This is the THIRD time this has happened, and the first time I knew who it was. Bad luck? I don't know, but these roads are full of morons. Please help me out with this guys - I know a lot of you have probably been in the same position before too. Thanks

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Freshly converted to 5 speed
Gutted airboxes
180 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel (gotta luv it)
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler (puke)
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor
Ported plenum
Throttle body bypass
Kills: '94 Z28, Olds Aurora V8, bunch of Mustangs, T-birds, ricers, and others who assumed a 13 year-old car would be too slow.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:40 PM

Car: 89rs
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
I don't know about any of the legal issues, but I would inspect is truck for ANY damage, evidence etc that he indeed hit you. If you do take him to court, you can get a lot of money, but your insurrance company will have to back you up 100% with lawyers and junk. I just wanted to comment and say that is ****ing bull****. The least you can do is let the air out of his tires so you dont cause any damage, but he'll **** his pants when he sees it - along with having to pump them all up again. Least you could do for him being so inconsidereate. If he doesnt have insurrance (which is a good reason to run away) hes ****ed. Or should be at least.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:26 PM

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES (and not those kind) but of the damage of your car and of the damage on his truck (if any found) and right the date and sign the back with date and have a friend family sign as wellso you have someone backing you and yes 100% on the insur co is a must, and if you don't get move and burn his truck down

------------------
1989 Trans Am GTA - Flame Red Metallic, L98 5.7L TPI, TH700-R4, T-Tops, dual cats, 9-bolt rear, 3.27
- K&N Air Filter
- Dynomax muffler

1992 Camaro RS - Hawaiian Orchid, LO3 5.0L TBI, T-5, T-Tops, 3.08, L69 Dual Snorkel - Sold
- K&N Air Filter
Old 10-01-2001, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 (gonna buy the farm)
I would think of the idea of smashing his windows in as the last resort. If you get nothing else, smashing his windows won't solve anything, but it would make things even. I think if you use Drakar's idea, and get pictures of his truck, if it has damage, then that should be sufficient. Take that to your insur. co., and follow their lead.

------------------
Joshua Johnston
1991 Z-28

350, T-5, K&N, Ported Vortec heads, Edelbrock RPM, Holley 750 D.P., HEI, 11.07:1 CR, Comp Cams Roller-.510"/.520"-282*/288* dur., Shorty Headers, Dual 2.5 Exhaust,Dynomax Bullet Mufflers, T&R Motorsports custom air intake
Old 10-01-2001, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

your insurance should cover it as vandalism, unless you have liability only...
Old 10-01-2001, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't even bother buying gasoline to burn his truck down....just get an old t-shirt and tear it in 1/2 (long ways) stick it down his fuel filler neck, light it, and run like hell. THAT'S IF IT IS CLEAR HE DID IT AND DOESN'T FESS UP TO IT!!! *** , I miss the Corps....LOL...my M.O.S. was demolition

------------------
Alex A. (aka chevyboy)
1992 Z-28 L98/1LE. Heritage Edition. SLP runners, gutted cats, SLP 3" cat-back & muffler. 3" flo-tech cut-out, SLP TB foil, K&N filter @ TB, 3.23 posi rear.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:59 PM

Third time its happened... WOW seems to me like people are just jealous. If you attack his truck hes gonna know it was you. I say just wait for him at his work in a ski mask and kick his behind!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:36 PM
Banned

Get insurance quote to fix the door- but instead buy a whole new door and paint it to match So much cheaper, hahaha.

Then use that extra few hundred bucks to get that 6 inch exhaust tip you've always wanted! haha jk
Old 10-04-2001, 07:30 PM

Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
I nailed his @$$! I called the cops and they told me they'd send an officer over once the guy who hit me got back from work. At around 7PM I took a walk around the parking lot to see if he was back. Found his truck hidden away at the furthest lot he could find. I casually walked over, looked the front right corner for any damage and sure enough there it was. Fresh scuff marks on the chrome bumper and missing paint that he left on my door. I called the cops to send an officer over and together we went to his apartment. The dude lost his ****, and fessed up right away. The **** doesn't speak any English so i had to deal with him thru an interpreter. Who knows what that kid was telling him. But anyway, the accident didn't classify as a hit and run 'cuz it happened on private property, so the cop filled out an accident report and left us alone to settle the matter. The SOB became ****y once the cop left and insisted that he would get my car fixed by his body guy. I told right away that i would have the car fixed where and when I chose. He started balking at that and said he would just let his insurance handle it. SOB didn't file a claim for 2 days straight so i just called up his insurance company and filed a claim in his behalf anyway. Their adjuster is gonna call me in a few days to come and have a look at the damage. As far as the cost of fixing the damage is concerned. The local Chevy dealership quoted me $1995 for a new door and renfinishing. Another place quoted $2404 for the same thing.

I know the adjuster is gonna be **** about this whole thing. He'll want to know how much it would cost to have only the doorskin replaced. BTW, the accident really FUBARed my hinges. They were slightly worn out but now the door rests on the rocker panel. Some people have also told me that the insurance co. might decide to give me give me a new car if that's cheaper. I dunno how though. I don't remember 5 speed '88 IROCs going for $2000.

Any tips on how I should deal with the claims adjuster? They'll obviously want to get off as cheaply as possible. I did take pictures of the damage as soon as I found out, but I haven't taken any pictures of the damage on his truck.

------------------
'88 IROC 305 TPI
Freshly converted to 5 speed
Gutted airboxes
180 degree T-stat
Advanced base TPS voltage
Relocated IAT sensor
Momo steering wheel (gotta luv it)
Ram-air setup coming soon
Flowmaster muffler (puke)
Taylor SpiroPro wires
Accel cap and rotor
Ported plenum
Throttle body bypass
Kills: '94 Z28, Olds Aurora V8, bunch of Mustangs, T-birds, ricers, and others who assumed a 13 year-old car would be too slow.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:56 PM

You should take the core plugs for his tires and when he tries to air them up, all the air will just come back out. As far as the claims adjuster I don't know.

------------------
BOMB BIN LADEN I see dead Afghans in dead Fords on the side of the desert path.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Kik him in the nuts, and tell him that INS knowes where he lives.....

then, bitch, never give up on this claims adjuster, i think that you have legal right to bitch dotn you??? not sure, but if you can, never give up....
and if he complains.... oh well, in the end, your the victim, of an attack by him... he should be reprimended...

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
Edelbrock Catback, Custom Alarm. Fourth Gen Console. i have six cupholders. all for starbucks!
Go|)Created The Earth, And Then Turned Up The Bass.
Here's My Audio Install!

"Honda's FOR ME TO POOP ON!" -Triumph...
Old 10-05-2001, 12:42 AM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
Actually you SHOULD get a nice deal out of it. Insurance companies DON'T go for the cheapest. They like raising prices and they never leave people to take them to court over a simple repair like this. Especially on an older car. I had my car totalled from the inside damage alone!!! I bought the car back from insurance and fixed it up, it's better than before and I had enough money to replace my whole stereo system with better parts. Of course that was my insurance company and now they don't cover me if it gets broken in again because I'm considered high risk (live in city, stereo system, red camaro, blah blah).
In your case I would just get his money the legal way and leave it at that. If anything happens to your car in the near future you WILL have to kick his *** ....legally....in a boxing match.....outside .
At least you found who did this to your car. My car was broken into twice in a month and I had no idea who it was. I almost kicked my OWN door in the second time. I lost my voice I was so pissed. Don't let him get the better of you, just act cool and everything will work itself out for the better.

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 10-05-2001, 10:42 AM
Banned

I had a horrible horrible dream last night, I went to my car and found all my tires stolen and my gfx ripped off the car and the stereo ripped out and the hatch glass stolen. It was a horrible dream.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:00 AM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4
you had that dream, and that was your 666 post.

------------------
No License, No z28, No Hope.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:05 AM

I dont know about them giving you money for a new car but i think you should bring the more expensive estimate to his insurance company, get the money for it, and get the cheaper job done, then you get the rest of the money for yourself to do what you please with. I got my fender smashed, and the guys insurance company sent me a check in the mail, no questions asked.

------------------
87' Camaro Z28
305 TPI
Stage 2 hypertech chip
160 degree thermostat
Custom ram air w/K&N's
air foil
shift kit
aluminum driveshaft
posi
VST gas ryder gas shocks
3" flowmasters
Vortex cherry bomb high flow muffler
Old 10-05-2001, 02:08 PM

Well i do know if the damage on the car cost more then the book value of the car they will try to get out of fixxing it. You should go to Kelly Blue Book.com (can't remember site do a search on yahoo) and get the book value of your car. This way at least you have some idea of the range there working in. Also It is beeter for you to have the car at the repair shop when the adjuster comes to look at it, They will try to take advantage of you, the guys at the shops have been dealing with them all there lifes and know how to handel them. Hope this helps. Also Dont trash his car at your complex, follow him to work and do it there, then theres no ties to you.
Old 10-05-2001, 06:14 PM

Car: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Transmission: rowing through 6 gears
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 88firebird305:
You should go to Kelly Blue Book.com (can't remember site do a search on yahoo) and get the book value of your car. </font>
www.kbb.com