Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Does anyone make them (custom or otherwise)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
Re: Does anyone make them (custom or otherwise)

[quote=Classic1;5576452]

...hope the enthusiasts will enjoy seeing new products come to market based
on the interest expressed on thirdgen.org.

Any further questions, please feel free to contact me here at
thirdgen.org.

Ray Yager - Merchandising Director

Classic Industries

Sir, I find it very cool that a vendor such as Classic Industries (with whom I've done quite a bit of business with (1st, 3rd, and 4th Gen F-Bodies) has taken the time to be represented on TGO. these cars may start to "take off" in collectability very soon, but me and others here at TGO have been 3rd Gen lovers for years. And for years, we have been plagued by the limitations of our 16x8 wheels that are made specifically to fit the geometry of our front suspension - Firebird owners in particular have been shut out. let me cut to the chase: what is most needed are 88-92 Firebird Formula wheels in 17x9.
  • There is NO aftermarket wheel that comes close to looking as "right" on a 3rd Gen Firebird as those 16x8 inch Formula wheels.
  • There are very limited tire sizes available for 16" wheels.
  • There is NO tire manufacturer making attractive, aggressive-looking, Z-rated tires in 245/50/16 anymore.
  • There is a VERY LIMITED number of aftermarket brake kits that will fit under OUR 16" wheels.
  • There are almost NO non-stock wheels that will fit our cars without the use of tire spacers, and again, there is NO non-stock wheel that looks as good on a Third Gen as a stock 3rd Gen wheel.
A 17x9 inch, stock appearing wheel (like the 17" Snowflake wheels your company makes) would open up a WORLD of opportunities for us.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA

*edit* 17" Cross-Lace wheels (Trans Am / GTA) would be great too, and I think Trans Am people would buy them. but make no mistake, there are a lot of Formulas here and NOTHING looks better than a Formula wheel on a Firebird Formula.

also, guys... I hope we didn't scare Classic1 off with the flood of requests. firstly, there were a lot of good ideas for products made (the interior trim bits and pieces.) but for everybody who wants some one-off, whacky spoiler made, or 2nd Gen-style ground effects, there has to be a hundred of us who would rather die than put any of that stuff on our car.

also, if we're going to tell a vender what we want - we should be serious enough to commit to buy - provided that it is a quality product. personally, I am committed to buying a set of four 17x9" Formula replica wheels if they're available. the more people here that can state that they are committed to buy the products they want, one would have to think that would increase the likelihood that the vendor will make the investment in developing those products.

I think larger diameter (17") factory appearing wheels, that fit without the use of spacers would knock down a lot of barriers for us.

as far as the SAP-type stuff, I'm kind of with that guy who wants a new hood in wondering where CI saw a public interest in that product - outside of the recent public interest in 2nd Gen 'Birds in general... personally, if it's an IROC, TA, or Formula (or a Camaro RS even) I don't think 3rd Gens need exterior "dressing up."

*edit*

product idea: reproduction Firebird center consoles - maybe with improved materials such as carbon fiber, leather, faux leather, other polymers, rather than the stock Tupperware material.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

I would like a clone of the 16" cross laced wheels but in 17"... something that looks spot on, but just a bit bigger, that would really be nice... I agree on that one...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Linson
also, guys... I hope we didn't scare Classic1 off with the flood of requests....
Thanks to all of you who have commented. Lots of good ideas. Some are easier to pull off than others. But we are listening and appreciate your comments. Will work with our suppliers and see what we can do about some of your product suggestions. Feel free to PM me here with further comments and questions.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 305 TBI

Does anybody know if the Z20 ducktail spoiler would fit on a camaro? I would really like to have it on my camaro, i PMed Classic1 few days ago but since he can't be bothered to answer i thought i would ask here, thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Yes it will fit BUT, you would have to remove all three existing spoiler pieces... The hatch panel was exactly the same (sans the holes for mounting) for the Firebird and Camaro...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DeWALT
Does anybody know if the Z20 ducktail spoiler would fit on a camaro? I would really like to have it on my camaro, i PMed Classic1 few days ago but since he can't be bothered to answer i thought i would ask here, thanks.
Originally Posted by okfoz
Yes it will fit BUT, you would have to remove all three existing spoiler pieces... The hatch panel was exactly the same (sans the holes for mounting) for the Firebird and Camaro...
Hi Dewalt,

Thank you for the interest in the Z20 rear wing. okfoz is correct. The body lines are the same for Firebird and Camaro in the area where the spoiler mounts. To mount on a Camaro, you may need to drill and/or fill holes to fit it, but it will fit fine other than that and it will match the contours of the decklid just fine.

Firebird owners should note that the spoiler is designed to mount into the existing rear spoiler holes on base model Firebirds. Many base model Firebird owners will be able to simply unbolt their stock spoiler and bolt this spoiler on in its place with only minor modifications needed.

Also, please note: We make every effort to answer private messages here in a timely manner on weekdays between the hours of 8am and 5pm PST. Your question came in at 5:15 pm (after business hours) on Friday and we answered Monday morning at 8:15 am. So, it wasn't that we couldn't be bothered to answer your inquiry, it was just that we were not on duty again until this morning. Additionally, we do have a toll free customer service line that is available on Saturdays 10am - 3pm PST should you find that you need answers on a weekend.

Good luck with your project. We'd like to see pictures of this wing installed on your car if you do decide to purchase one. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM us here.