Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Advice on Tu-Tone Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Tu-Tone Paint Job

Hi friends! I am new here, so if this is in the wrong place, apologies! I have a 92 RS that I am trying to keep in good condition as I really enjoy it and am sentimental about because it's my first car. Anyway, I no longer drive it in the winter, but am beginning to get some surface rust under the wheel wells and such. I'm having a body shop work on it for me. While I'm at it, I had thoughts about going tu-tone. Now, the car is white, and I haven't been able to find many pictures of white tu-tone. The shop has a blue-green pearlescent laying around that got me really excited! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, but I was hoping for some opinions. Would the color contrast be too stark, too over-the-top? Also, I have the stock spoiler, and although I haven't seen any pictures of anyone doing it, I thought it might be neat to do the spoiler in the same pearlescent?

Anyway, thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Advice on Tu-Tone Paint Job

I'm guessing you're referring to a two tone paint job. It's completely up to you but I've never been a big fan of any two tone paint jobs on any car
Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Camaro
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4

Agree with Tyler. Only 2-tone paint jobs that seem to work are on cars with defined separation in the body molds - like for example, 55-57 Chevy's. 82-92 Camaros do not have those separations so it would be difficult to determine where one color ends and where the other begins. But, even still, it would like pretty odd.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

One that I designed years ago, but never used was following the 1979 Camaro RS theme. On a white car, The hood and top of the fenders were black or grey, went just below the side door windows and then wrapped up on the B pillar and roof. The two colors could be separated by a red or orange pinstriping. Here's a '79 and my photoshop from many years ago.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Tu-Tone Paint Job-rs.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Camaro
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
One that I designed years ago, but never used was following the 1979 Camaro RS theme. On a white car, The hood and top of the fenders were black or grey, went just below the side door windows and then wrapped up on the B pillar and roof. The two colors could be separated by a red or orange pinstriping. Here's a '79 and my photoshop from many years ago.

That is one of the few nicest designs with 2-tone that I have seen. making it work so that it doesn't invade the rear hatch area is stylish and fits with body lines. Also, I think the major color should be lighter than the 2nd top color. Opposite would look odd.