Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Aluminum Oxidation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Camaro
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Aluminum Oxidation

Thought I'd throw out an option here for those looking for another way to clean oxidized aluminum parts , intake manifolds, brackets, Runners, etc. Not recommended for polished or clear coated finishes. There is a product available called 'Kick' made by TRT. I purchased this locally at a store that specializes in automotive cleaning supplies and paint.

I've tried a few different ways to apply - the instructions say to dilute 1/1 with water - but I find it works best by using full strength applying with a clean cloth. Liberally dampen the cloth and wipe the oxidized area for a few seconds then use a paper towel to dry. Do this several times in stubborn areas that have a black oxidized spots. Be sure to wear gloves!! This stuff will take the scales off an alligator, lol. Do not leave the solution on too long , otherwise it will discolor the aluminum.

If you can't find locally, they are located in Venice, Florida www.msitrt.com . Not pitching their product - don't work or have relatives there. The stuff just works great and can certainly be an alternative to bead blasting.

Comparsion of treated and untreated
Old 01-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Aluminum Oxidation

Interesting!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

They seem kind of tight lipped about their MSDS. Can't help but suspect that the product is just another wheel acid, no different from a dozen others on the shelf at any parts store.

FWIW.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
They seem kind of tight lipped about their MSDS. Can't help but suspect that the product is just another wheel acid, no different from a dozen others on the shelf at any parts store.

FWIW.
No chemical or solution can really take the place of a good bead blast but, to an extent, wheel acids do work well if you have the time and are careful about not to over do the application. Some parts though, like the exhaust manifold shields, they need to be media blasted.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: '84 Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

FWIW.
Yeah. Out of curiosity searched for MSDS, too. What a joke. Nothing special about their product. I agree.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Interesting that the ones knocking this product didn't notice the label on the front of the container that says "Super Strength Spoke and Wheel Acid"?

Was I supposed to say that it's nothing special? The purpose of this was to show results compared media blasting. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Settle down Beavis. No one is offended, except maybe you? You mentioned a specific product and use. However, for this purpose there are plenty of other wheel cleaners on the shelf that will likely do the same job, and may be a bit more accessible than a gallon of obscure mystery cleaner.

This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. What's the problem?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: '84 Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Yeah. When I commented I didn't think I might offend. I'm sorry about that. Was more interested in the MSDS, which are typically available for most every product. Just sent me in the suspicious direction instead of thinking about the point of the post.

Good to see it worked well. Make sure to give the parts a good rinse when done so that the acid becomes neutralized and doesn't stay in the metal.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Settle down Beavis. No one is offended, except maybe you? You mentioned a specific product and use. However, for this purpose there are plenty of other wheel cleaners on the shelf that will likely do the same job, and may be a bit more accessible than a gallon of obscure mystery cleaner.

This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. What's the problem?
No problem snooky, except that when I searched these forums on anything related to aluminum oxidation ( not wheel cleaner), it pretty much came up blank. So, I thought it would have been useful to ad a tip on this along with a photo. All the wheel cleaner posts refer to the tires not aluminum.

If you feel that there are other products just as good, if not better, then discuss it. Nothing is more annoying than for a person to start a thread only having to read from another poster that this product is nothing special without providing some info/brand/manufacturer recommendations.

Discuss away, I'm all ears!

Last edited by x55Cam; 01-13-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: smiley
Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by x55Cam
when I searched these forums
You mean something like this post where I suggested wheel cleaner, from 17 years ago?

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...html#post18877

Try an engine cleaner... if that doesn't work use a stainless steel wire brush or in extreme cases Eagle 1 Rough cast aluminum wheel cleaner... The wheel cleaner will attack the plastics and metals, be sure to wash it all off completely after about 30 seconds. Anythign it touches may turn white, but it'll get the runners and plenum cleaner than anything else out there.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Here's another specific product recommendation from a scant 8 years ago.

The plenum and runners won't look right painted. If you want the stock look, degrease them. If they're really bad, Eagle One makes a etching wheel cleaner for rough cast aluminum wheels. It's basically an acid, so you don't want to get it on anything painted, you don't want to breathe it or get it on your skin.
And another less specific recommendation from about a year ago.

Personally I'd start with the least invasive cleaning method possible. Something like a cleaner or degreaser that's safe for aluminum. Like Windex, Classic Dawn dish detergent and water, carb cleaner, etc. More aggressive staining can sometimes be removed with etching wheel cleaner for natural cast aluminum wheels. Just remember it's an acid, and you're cleaning the surface by chemically attacking the surface.
Now don't take all of this the wrong way. I don't honestly expect anyone to search for a thread from 2001 to avoid a dupe. My first reply to this thread was geared more towards the manufacturer or vendor of TRT/Kick, for hiding their MSDS. For real, WHO does that anyway? And I don't mean to discourage anyone from posting on the forum. Just don't be shocked that there's really nothing new under the thirdgen sun. I'm not even trying to slam the door on you, just illustrating that I've been talking about cleaning aluminum parts, on this forum, for a long time.

Carry on.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Here's another specific product recommendation from a scant 8 years ago.

And another less specific recommendation from about a year ago.

Now don't take all of this the wrong way. I don't honestly expect anyone to search for a thread from 2001 to avoid a dupe. My first reply to this thread was geared more towards the manufacturer or vendor of TRT/Kick, for hiding their MSDS. For real, WHO does that anyway? And I don't mean to discourage anyone from posting on the forum. Just don't be shocked that there's really nothing new under the thirdgen sun. I'm not even trying to slam the door on you, just illustrating that I've been talking about cleaning aluminum parts, on this forum, for a long time.

Carry on.
That's cool Drew, thanks. I always make an attempt to search first as thee are many helpful points and tips on these message boards. When I search these forums I usually go 'title' and used key words like aluminum and oxidation. Searching the 'entire post' method brings up too many to sift thru because oxidation was referred to too many times with 'paint'. Your post didn't come up in my search.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless trying to retain the matte finish, I prefer to polish the aluminum.
This does a couple of things. It looks better IMO, and when done correctly, it prevents future oxidation. The best part, it can be done without toxic chemicals.