Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

COTM & COTY - here's a thought.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.50 35 Spline
Re: COTM & COTY - here's a thought.....

Originally Posted by BizJetTech
Agree or disagree, in the end it's all good, thanks for sharing your thoughts
For sure that is what it is all about.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

Originally Posted by chazman
There was some chatter a while ago, about having a half dozen or so trusted members form a panel to choose certain cars for certain awards. It's an interesting thought, but no idea how to implement something like that.
I like that idea, too. I'll give it a 3rd vote. Again, I love the COTM and COTY, and I think it would be awesome to have a judging panel for additional awards as well.

Best original, best modified, best engine bay, best restored, best interior, best suspension, best blah blah blah, you get the picture

Last edited by dagwood; 12-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I like firebrdo88’s idea of putting the voting on the main page or if it could always be at the top of “New Threads”

If more people did vote instead of the same group of around 50-80 people it might be less predictable results and appear less biased.

I always thought it was a little weird that it was in “Auto Appearance And Detailing” because there are deserving cars that win where the detailing isn’t the primary concern. There are awesome cars that win with dirty interiors (what I’d consider dirty), door jams, and engine bays but are awesome performance cars that are finished and super bad a$$. Not everyone with a top thirdgen cares about detailing that much. Classically detailing is an important part of “car shows” so I get it, but maybe what makes these online contests more interesting is that a subjectively cool Thirdgen that would be shunned at “car show” can win. Having a panel of judges might detract from what COTM is and take away from the variety we get. I see a lot of car shows where the winner is the highest value flawlessly restored “old, rare car” but sometimes not the “coolest” car that people are actually more interested in.

I like the idea that you can think someone’s car is cool, for whatever reason and nominate it. Folks might start to think about what the “judges” would think and only nominate classic show-winners.

I don’t think it’s bad the way it is, but nothing wrong with discussion. I wouldn’t oppose a change or a panel for COTY, but I also think it’s fine the way it is too.

The trivia idea is cool too, but that’s a lot of work for someone to commit to..

Last edited by 88IROCvertZ; 12-20-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by dagwood
I like that idea, too. I'll give it a 3rd vote. Again, I love the COTM and COTY, and I think it would be awesome to have a judging panel for additional awards as well.

Best original, best modified, best engine bay, best restored, best interior, best suspension, best blah blah blah, you get the picture
Exactly.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88IROCvertZ
I like firebrdo88’s idea of putting the voting on the main page or if it could always be at the top of “New Threads”

If more people did vote instead of the same group of around 50-80 people it might be less predictable results and appear less biased.

I always thought it was a little weird that it was in “Auto Appearance And Detailing” because there are deserving cars that win where the detailing isn’t the primary concern. There are awesome cars that win with dirty interiors (what I’d consider dirty), door jams, and engine bays but are awesome performance cars that are finished and super bad a$$. Not everyone with a top thirdgen cares about detailing that much. Classically derailing is an important part of “car shows” so I get it, but maybe what makes these online contests more interesting is that a subjectively cool Thirdgen that would be shunned at “car show” can win. Having a panel of judges might detract from what COTM is and take away from the variety we get. I see a lot of car shows where the winner is the highest value flawlessly restored “old, rare car” but sometimes not the “coolest” car that people are actually more interested in.

I like the idea that you can think someone’s car is cool, for whatever reason and nominate it. Folks might start to think about what the “judges” would think and only nominate classic show-winners.

I don’t think it’s bad the way it is, but nothing wrong with discussion. I wouldn’t oppose a change or a panel for COTY, but I also think it’s fine the way it is too.

The trivia idea is cool too, but that’s a lot of work for someone to commit to..
Yup, but if you are going to move forward on something like that, you'd hope the panel is car savvy enough to recognize that hard to pindown "cool factor".
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 223 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0

So what about leaving the COTM & COTY just as it is and adding
COTM-J (Car of the Month - Judged) & COTY-J (Car of the Year - Judged) events......or something like this??
Old 12-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

COTM-J (Car of the Month - Judged) & COTY-J (Car of the Year - Judged) events......or something like this??
Nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

I would say yes to that for sure. A popular vote by everyone is still great for everyone to be involved
Old 12-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I'll be honest, I'd rather win an open vote of my peers than be selected by a panel.

BUT.....not saying I'm against the idea. I just enjoy the process and the cars more than the outcome.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:06 PM

I would NOT want to see the monthly vote by members to change.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Abubaca
I'll be honest, I'd rather win an open vote of my peers than be selected by a panel.

BUT.....not saying I'm against the idea. I just enjoy the process and the cars more than the outcome.
I agree with that as well. I wouldn't want something new to water down what we already have. With that said, it would be interesting to have a trusted, knowlegeable panel put some of our cars in the spotlight in a different way.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

All for it.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

I agree with that as well. I wouldn't want something new to water down what we already have. With that said, it would be interesting to have a trusted, knowlegeable panel put some of our cars in the spotlight in a different way.
I agree 100 %
Old 12-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

It crossed my mind that it might be interesting to have a popular vote and a panel of judges that score the cars and come up with a score system and their own rankings.. It could be like Rotten Tomato’s where you have the Critic’s score and the Average Viewer score.

Its interesting how some movies get a low score with critics and score high among non critics..
Old 12-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

How do we decide on judges? Is it a rotating panel? Just asking how it would be done if it was started..
Old 12-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

How do we decide on judges? Is it a rotating panel? Just asking how it would be done if it was started..
My suggestion would be to elect the judges for a set period of time, based on qualifications, knowledge of 3rd gens,
prior judging experience, etc, etc
Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

I guess members could select them and they'd decide if they want the job. I could also see them rendering their verdict as a "group" rather than individually. to keep from getting singled out. They'd also probably need to get on an email or text group to discuss cars in private.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

I guess members could select them and they'd decide if they want the job. I could also see them rendering their verdict as a "group" rather than individually. to keep from getting singled out. They'd also probably need to get on an email or text group to discuss cars in private.
More good ideas....
Old 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

I’d say there should be a uniform score sheet

-Paint
-Originality
-Wheels
-interior
-engine bay
-value
-rarity / pedigree
-overall presentation
-bonus custom fit and finish
.... etc etc

There should be a scoring system and the judges would have to compile them via email and maybe the high score wins..

Judges could put in some notes as well and they could be anonymously compiled in an outcome report..

This would be less focused on the stories/popularity and more on the car as it sits..

i.e. for originality almost no car would be a 10 except for original tires, exhaust, etc.. A low mile original car with a Flowmaster and an interstate battery would be a 9 and points deducted from there.. a custom car could make up points in presentation and anything above a 7 in fit and finish gets 4 bonus points to make up for a low originality score.. Could do half points too..

just a spitball..

Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Could do hypothetical scoring on last year’s COTM winners to see if it seems fair..
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

I'm not sure why you guys are against this idea......can you imagine the annual MCACN event being judged solely by a "People's Choice" award ?? or the huge Pebble Beach car show having only a popular vote winner ??
COTM and COTY is not a car show. In fact, it would be a dismal failure as a car show.

There are awesome cars that win with dirty interiors (what I’d consider dirty), door jams, and engine bays but are awesome performance cars that are finished and super bad a$$. Not everyone with a top thirdgen cares about detailing that much. Classically detailing is an important part of “car shows” so I get it, but maybe what makes these online contests more interesting is that a subjectively cool Thirdgen that would be shunned at “car show” can win.
^^ This guy is smart ^^
Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28
Engine: 370hp 350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: G92 3:45 Posi

How about inviting the last years COTM winners to judge the following year?
Old 12-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper Z

How about inviting the last years COTM winners to judge the following year?
Hmmmm....
Old 12-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Ok. I didn't read all the posts above because, well, I didn't want to! So, my suggestion can be a mix of the first so many posts I did read. Why not create a thread for each year, or each model, i.e IROC-Z only, Z28 only, Berlinetta only, 1982 Z28 only, etc. The options are almost limitless. Allow the members to post ONE favorite pic of THEIR OWN car in that thread. After the thread reaches a threshold of cars posted, another thread gets set up for members to choose which ones they like out of the listing, similar to the nomination process. From there a poll gets set up for the finalists in that thread. Right now, the current COTM is by nomination only. This will allow those with cars we seldom, or never see, to post a pic of their car in hopes to win.

Now, if this was already suggested, I apologize, but I did start this post stating I didn't read all of the posts above mine.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA

Having looked at this a couple times over, I'd like to weigh in with my opinion(s) as follows:

1. Anyone is free to start a poll outside of COTM at any time.
2. That said, I do tend to be mostly in agreement with those who have questioned exactly what it is we're trying to fix.
[
If a general desire to have more polls to vote in, and propel more cars into the narrow spotlight at one time is the motive here, please allow me to use the UFC as an analogy. Any UFC fans here? I consider the time between about 2005 to about 2012-13 or so to be the heyday of the UFC (at least for me). I knew who the fighters were, and I knew a little about the fighters. I bought nearly every Pay Per View because I was genuinely interested in the fights. Rashad Evans, Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Thiago Silva, Karo Parisyan, Randy Couture, just to name a few...those were my guys. And I was happy to shell out 50 bucks and throw a BBQ and watch these guys fight. And the fights mattered. Now...there's like a thousand fighters to keep track of, most having contrived personalities, if any at all, and other than way too many watered down pay per views that aren't worth the price of admission, there are free fights on TV three (3) times a week. Its not special or even that interesting anymore. Point being, we should at least give some serious reflection on what it is we're trying to do before potentially watering the site down with multiple contests and polls ].
3. A couple of the ideas floated on here for categories sound like fine ideas, however...
4. I think some of you might be overestimating the potential longevity of such polls, i.e. are we going to have "Engine Compartment of the Month" every month? As it is, I think an extraordinary engine compartment (or other feature) can go a long way in propelling a car into COTM / COTY.
5. I think some of you might be overestimating the stamina that people might have as far as running and judging multiple polls.
6. Who's to say that the COTM Winners would be inclined be admins for the purpose of COTY or COTM? And who's to say that their judgement is more sound than that of the collective 60 or so people who generally participate?
7. I appreciate the time that someone took to contemplate and then articulate a preliminary judging criteria, but I'd have to say that to my eye, at a glance, those criteria seem to favor stock, unmodified cars.
8. While anyone is free to start any poll outside of COTM at any time, one idea that I do stand against is that of a separate COTM judged by a panel of "judges". This would lead to the possibility of two (2) COTM Winners - a "people's choice" winner and a "judged" winner. So, which is more legitimate? We don't need that.
9. Speaking from experience, I must warn you not to overestimate your own endurance as it pertains to facilitating a program along the lines of COTM on a very sustained basis.
10. If anyone has a strong desire to give of there time and become more actively involved [with COTM], I can try to help make that happen. I don't know how JT would feel about it, but I'm not against it.

Last edited by Linson; 01-03-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

I’d say there should be a uniform score sheet

-Paint
-Originality
-Wheels
-interior
-engine bay
-value
-rarity / pedigree
-overall presentation
-bonus custom fit and finish
.... etc etc

There should be a scoring system and the judges would have to compile them via email and maybe the high score wins..

Judges could put in some notes as well and they could be anonymously compiled in an outcome report..

This would be less focused on the stories/popularity and more on the car as it sits..

i.e. for originality almost no car would be a 10 except for original tires, exhaust, etc.. A low mile original car with a Flowmaster and an interstate battery would be a 9 and points deducted from there.. a custom car could make up points in presentation and anything above a 7 in fit and finish gets 4 bonus points to make up for a low originality score.. Could do half points too..

just a spitball..

While I did mention this in my overall take on the direction of this thread, I want to reiterate that this is not a bad list of criteria at all. I would say that these are things that people should really consider before casting a vote.
But...you know, taking the vote away from the members would take away a lot of the fun factor, and put additional pressure on the hypothetical panel of judges.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Ok. I didn't read all the posts above because, well, I didn't want to! So, my suggestion can be a mix of the first so many posts I did read. Why not create a thread for each year, or each model, i.e IROC-Z only, Z28 only, Berlinetta only, 1982 Z28 only, etc. The options are almost limitless. Allow the members to post ONE favorite pic of THEIR OWN car in that thread. After the thread reaches a threshold of cars posted, another thread gets set up for members to choose which ones they like out of the listing, similar to the nomination process. From there a poll gets set up for the finalists in that thread. Right now, the current COTM is by nomination only. This will allow those with cars we seldom, or never see, to post a pic of their car in hopes to win.

Now, if this was already suggested, I apologize, but I did start this post stating I didn't read all of the posts above mine.
We did an entire year of that a couple (two or three) years ago. I'm not necessarily opposed to doing it again if the idea is popular.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Linson
Having looked at this a couple times over, I'd like to weigh in with my opinion(s) as follows:

1. Anyone is free to start a poll outside of COTM at any time.
2. That said, I do tend to be mostly in agreement with those who have questioned exactly what it is we're trying to fix.
[
If a general desire to have more polls to vote in, and propel more cars into the narrow spotlight at one time is the motive here, please allow me to use the UFC as an analogy. Any UFC fans here? I consider the time between about 2005 to about 2012-13 or so to be the heyday of the UFC (at least for me). I knew who the fighters were, and I knew a little about the fighters. I bought nearly every Pay Per View because I was genuinely interested in the fights. Rashad Evans, Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Frankie Edgar, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, Thiago Silva, Karo Parisyan, Randy Couture, just to name a few...those were my guys. And I was happy to shell out 50 bucks and throw a BBQ and watch these guys fight. And the fights mattered. Now...there's like a thousand fighters to keep track of, most having contrived personalities, if any at all, and other than way too many watered down pay per views that aren't worth the price of admission, there are free fights on TV three (3) times a week. Its not special or even that interesting anymore. Point being, we should at least give some serious reflection on what it is we're trying to do before potentially watering the site down with multiple contests and polls ].
3. A couple of the ideas floated on here for categories sound like fine ideas, however...
4. I think some of you might be overestimating the potential longevity of such polls, i.e. are we going to have "Engine Compartment of the Month" every month? As it is, I think an extraordinary engine compartment (or other feature) can go a long way in propelling a car into COTM / COTY.
5. I think some of you might be overestimating the stamina that people might have as far as running and judging multiple polls.
6. Who's to say that the COTM Winners would be inclined be admins for the purpose of COTY or COTM? And who's to say that their judgement is more sound than that of the collective 60 or so people who generally participate?
7. I appreciate the time that someone took to contemplate and then articulate a preliminary judging criteria, but I'd have to say that to my eye, at a glance, those criteria seem to favor stock, unmodified cars.
8. While anyone is free to start any poll outside of COTM at any time, one idea that I do stand against is that of a separate COTM judged by a panel of "judges". This would lead to the possibility of two (2) COTM Winners - a "people's choice" winner and a "judged" winner. So, which is more legitimate? We don't need that.
9. Speaking from experience, I must warn you not to overestimate your own endurance as it pertains to facilitating a program along the lines of COTM on a very sustained basis.
10. If anyone has a strong desire to give of there time and become more actively involved [with COTM], I can try to help make that happen. I don't know how JT would feel about it, but I'm not against it.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:45 PM

Here's my take away after having contributed to the thread, and then after having read Linson's comments:

--Obviously....any of us can start something and run with it.
--While many of us, myself included have constructive potential changes, there's no clear cut problem that has been identified. -I thought that after digesting, I agree with. Certainly none that we all agree would be the one issue to address.
--Linson has done a good job for many years, and doesn't seem interested in leading the charge on some new format or idea. (I don't blame him) ...which brings us back to the first point.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

I am amazed at how many people dont actually READ what I originally wrote.....I started this thread and it somehow took a life of
it's own (as MANY threads do).....I NEVER made reference to a "PROBLEM"....IMO, there is NO problem....I simply suggested
making a change (and later suggested making an "addition") NEVER, did I say there was any sort of "PROBLEM" and I am amazed
how anyone ever conceived that a PROBLEM existed.......this is one crazy group
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.50 35 Spline

BizJetTech, I think what you are trying to do it make it swayed voting towards criteria that favors stock unmodified cars as Linson also stated. That is my take from this whole thread. That is ok that you have that opinion, but you can not discount that fact everyone does not agree with you. That is what makes the popular vote great! You can be very abrasive when folks do not agree. We as a community need to be open to all members. Its more crazy to me your the only one repeatedly saying this is one crazy group here. That is my take. Just chill be more open and have fun man!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by firebrdo88
BizJetTech, I think what you are trying to do it make it swayed voting towards criteria that favors stock unmodified cars as Linson also stated. That is my take from this whole thread. That is ok that you have that opinion, but you can not discount that fact everyone does not agree with you. That is what makes the popular vote great! You can be very abrasive when folks do not agree. We as a community need to be open to all members. Its more crazy to me your the only one repeatedly saying this is one crazy group here. That is my take. Just chill be more open and have fun man!
We dont agree, thats for sure, I doubt we ever will and I feel the same about you.....HOWEVER, I'm fine with it and it's all good - motor on buddy....
Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 PM

I NEVER made reference to a "PROBLEM"....IMO, there is NO problem....I simply suggested making a change
I think you're splitting hairs over the word "problem". You're right, you said change. On behalf of everyone is this thread who said "problem", let us change that in our hearts and minds to the phrase "reason for change". We agree there is no problem....what is the reason for change? ....and has a clear cut reason for change been identified?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by scottmoyer

I like the concept - I really do. I see where you’re going with putting it on the more obscure “gems” to reveal themselves.
One inherent problem in the process as you’ve described it is that it seems to involve two(2) nomination threads (or two voting threads - however you want to look at it) . Either way, that’s a lot to squeeze into a 30 day period.

One shortcut might be to *try* letting people nominate themselves one month and see how that goes. I suspect that we’d probably not see many “new faces” as a result. I think the surest way to raise COTM’s profile is to connect it to all the forums - not just Auto Detailing and Appearance.

Another potential downside to allowing “self-nominations” could be a marked increase in quality control input on my part. Telling people that their car, or their nominee doesn’t quite cut it for COTM isn’t the most comfortable aspect of the job.

Last edited by Linson; 01-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM

I think the surest way to raise COTM’s profile is to connect it to all the forums - not just Auto Detailing and Appearance.
Can that be done? One thread that appears in every forum, but it still just one thread? THAT is a good idea.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Another potential downside to allowing “self-nominations” could be a marked increase in quality control input on my part. Telling people that their car, or their nominee doesn’t quite cut it for COTM isn’t the most comfortable aspect of the job.

It would certainly make your job tougher.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:48 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Can that be done? One thread that appears in every forum, but it still just one thread? THAT is a good idea.
I don't know. It isn't something that I can do.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

This is being way over thought.
We don't need a Car of the month every month, we need participation. Some months only have 50 or so votes.
Continue the poll aspect but change it up every month. IE one month it's best interior, the next month it's best drag car then best engine bay, best stock F-body, best show-n-go. Best parent/child build could also be really interesting to read--wouldn't even have to be finished. There really is a plethora of categories and months like best engine bay or best audio system would allow other member's cars to be seen that might never be allowed to participate with the current car of the month requirements. I've known plenty of gear heads who never "finish" a car but always have a beautiful interior, audio system or engine or what not.
All you're after is eye-candy for the front welcome page and a way to engage members by allowing a wide array of categories. 100% open season for only 100% finished cars limits participation and allows for a far to wide interpretation.
Linking the thread across all the message boards also needs to be done since it could also dramatically help participation.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

I've always wanted to have a month for coolest beater. Someone would have to establish guidelines defining a "beater". I think we all know what "cool" is, though.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Tibo made an excellent point --> This discussion should revolve around driving up participation in COTM. That was the agenda 2 years ago when Linson put out the call for people to get out of their comfort zone and search the boards for cars, and it still has to be the agenda today.

And this is what gets people involved: The prospects of participating with your own car. Look around and see that most people that vote have either participated in COTM or have aspirations to participate in the future. If you want to increase participation in COTM (in terms of voting and regular followers) then nominate new people that aren't involved today. That's how you grow the population.

There's no lack of awareness amongst people on this board about COTM. There's just a lack of desire and feeling of not fitting in. Show people they belong by nominating them. It can really make their day!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:38 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Originally Posted by Tibo
This is being way over thought.
We don't need a Car of the month every month, we need participation. Some months only have 50 or so votes.
Continue the poll aspect but change it up every month. IE one month it's best interior, the next month it's best drag car then best engine bay, best stock F-body, best show-n-go. Best parent/child build could also be really interesting to read--wouldn't even have to be finished. There really is a plethora of categories and months like best engine bay or best audio system would allow other member's cars to be seen that might never be allowed to participate with the current car of the month requirements. I've known plenty of gear heads who never "finish" a car but always have a beautiful interior, audio system or engine or what not.
All you're after is eye-candy for the front welcome page and a way to engage members by allowing a wide array of categories. 100% open season for only 100% finished cars limits participation and allows for a far to wide interpretation.
Linking the thread across all the message boards also needs to be done since it could also dramatically help participation.
I heard you before and I'm hearing you now. You may or may not recall that the COTM used to be run primarily by specific categories. And the reason for that, as far as I was concerned at least, was just as you're saying: to allow for more variety and to insure the COTM winner isn't an '89 IROC every month. And, back then, some people were pretty vocal about wanting to see Open Season Nomination every month. We tried it, and it seems like with the Open Season format, we still get a little of everything (at least almost everything) that you mentioned. There are great interiors, paint jobs, low mile originals, parent/child builds and other sentimental stories, and those very aspects have helped propel those cars to COTM victory. And, the 2018 COTY is something of a drag car. Still, having said all that, I am not against an occasional categoried nomination month, but we have to be careful how specific the categories are. That is to say, an fabulous interior or engine bay does not a complete car make. We have to also bear in mind that some categories have proven to be problematic as it pertains to finding suitable nominees who are inclined to participate. And, for what its worth, it is not lost on me that what constitutes a complete drag/track car, does not necessarily constitute a complete daily driver. But still, fit some fit and finish standards would still apply.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

So, keep this conversation going. Try to keep it constructive. Try to come up with a couple of categories for COTM contests that would truly be an enhancement to the already outstanding lineups that we've been seeing.

On a personal note, I need this to be a regular Open Season Month for February so that this thing can kind of run on autopilot. Otherwise, I might be inclined to try out a "self-nomination" month or something like that.

Explanation: I am a Federal Agent with the Border Patrol by profession. I'm sure that you've all heard in some way or another about the "Migrant Caravans" more or less marching on our Southern Border. This increased border activity has swamped the Southern Border Stations, and now they're rotating Northern Border Agents like myself to Southern Border station for month-long details. I'm getting on a plane tomorrow. I'll have some access to computers, I'm sure, but will have less time to stay engaged with this month's contest.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

So, keep this conversation going. Try to keep it constructive. Try to come up with a couple of categories for COTM contests that would truly be an enhancement to the already outstanding lineups that we've been seeing.

On a personal note, I need this to be a regular Open Season Month for February so that this thing can kind of run on autopilot. Otherwise, I might be inclined to try out a "self-nomination" month or something like that.

Explanation: I am a Federal Agent with the Border Patrol by profession. I'm sure that you've all heard in some way or another about the "Migrant Caravans" more or less marching on our Southern Border. This increased border activity has swamped the Southern Border Stations, and now they're rotating Northern Border Agents like myself to Southern Border station for month-long details. I'm getting on a plane tomorrow. I'll have some access to computers, I'm sure, but will have less time to stay engaged with this month's contest.
Thanks you for your service, Linson.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Thanks you for your service, Linson.
Indeed. And stay safe down there.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Just a couple points regarding my previous post that Linson quoted twice. I never said that the self nomination process needed to be used for a car of the month. If you take self nominations for say "TGO's Best 1984 Z28", it can be based on a yearly Best Of. Threads can be started for whatever criteria, people can post their own car or be nominated by others in that thread. Somewhere near October or November, members can nominate cars based on the posts in that thread, and narrowed down to the top so many that get voted on in December.

Also, there should be no criteria other than the title criteria. Best IROC-Z will cover all years of the IROC-Z. Best 1982, will cover all 1982 cars. Best 1992 RS will cover only that criteria. There should also not be any elimination. If someone posts their car, and it meets the criteria, it should be in the running for the year end nomination process. That would make the COTY simple for whoever moderates it as they only need to set up the nominations and moderate for incorrect posts.

This opens up the question of a new forum with a heading of "Best Of". Threads can be started by anyone, so if someone has a car in the restoration process, they could start a thread for "Best In Process" and include their own car. I would think this type of forum has the potential to grow fast and may need additional moderation than just one person, so JT and IROCZTWENTYGR8 would need to staff up.

Just like the others, this is only a suggestion for more participation.