Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Can I paint my wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I paint my wheels?

Can I paint my wheel the same color as my car?

I have the 16 inch wheels that look flat, like the ones on the IROCs, but mine are flat. There silver now. I want to paint the part in between the polished part purple like my car.

What kind of paint should I use and where can I buy paint like the color of my car? Will that Duplicolor stuff work OK? I've seen it at Wal-Mart.

Will it stay on the wheels? Or will in melt off. My dad says it will probably come off because of heat from the brakes. Is that right?
Old 02-13-2002, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would use Duplicolor, it's decent stuff. From my understanding you are not painting the entire wheel, if you are I would pick up a good stripper...(paint stripper) and start with a bare wheel, if not you will need to make sure the sufrace you are painting is CLEAN or it won't stick. Use any household dishsoap because it strips wax, then you can even use some rubbing alchoal. Now you are ready to paint. If you can, paint the wheels and let them sit in the sun, this will kinda bake the paint on. When you get the paint, pick up some clearcoat also, this will be a little added protection. My dad did this to the wheels on his Monte Carlo a few years back and it worked great!!
Good Luck, Matt
Old 02-13-2002, 02:10 PM

I just got finished sanding and painting a set of 79 snowflakes from the junkyard for my 87 T/A. I used engine enamel and clearcoated them after sanding. I started by sandblasting them to ensure good paint adhesion. Then as previously stated, you need to wash them very good with common dishsoap. I used PrepSol, but you don't have to. You'll have to mask off the areas you don't want to get paint on or plan or sanding it back to silver. I did this with a dual action air sander. Long process. Very Hard by hand. Check my webpage for more before and after pix. Good Luck!!
Attached Thumbnails Can I paint my wheels?-wheelaftersmall.jpg  
Old 02-13-2002, 02:11 PM

Before picture of above.
Attached Thumbnails Can I paint my wheels?-wheelbefore2small.jpg  
Old 02-13-2002, 02:44 PM

Man dude. Those look a lot better.

I don't think I'm going to bother spraying them. The little area that I'm gonna paint can be reached with a little paint brush, but maybe I'll mask them off so I can paint that area around the little triangles that are between the 5 spokes.

It's just that I've seen the white Camaros and red Camaros had the wheels the same color, and I want that to. I think it'll look cool as hell man.

Well thanks. I guess I'll bust out with the scrub brush and some Polmolive. Can I use mineral spirits to clean them off after I scrub them with dish soap?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mineral Spirits, I think thats more of a paint thinner, but I could be wrong.
Here is my wheel, it's like what your talking about:
Attached Thumbnails Can I paint my wheels?-badasspic.jpg  
Old 02-13-2002, 03:39 PM

YES!!!!! Those are my wheels!!! Thank you.

I want the white part like yours, purple. The silver is just too plain.

I've read the part on the homepage about how to polish them. I guess I gotta do that because mine are all flaking off. Then if I paint the purple part, let it dry, and paint them clear cote, that'll work right?

Thanks you guys. That's ****in' awesome!!!!!

Now it's time to call my bitch and get me some since I'm soo happy.