Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 09:53 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

What makes this thing work? In the 2+ years I've had the car, it has never worked, that I know of. Yesterday, I started pulling the car in the garage (which is dark) and the sun was shining bright. I didn't hear the motor, but I noticed the green light was on and the mirror was tilted for night viewing. I have tried duplicating this and I can't get the thing to work again. The owners manual says it automatically changes position when the car is put into reverse, mine doesn't. I tried a flashlight at the photocell and I get nothing. The car has 9200 miles on it so I doubt it's worn out. I have it set for auto and the distance 5. Is there a way to test this thing for proper operation? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dim capability of the mirror should be enabled when:

-switch on mirror set to on position
-ignition key in run position
-gear selector in a gear other than reverse

to test the mirror, hold your finger over the photosensor on the back of the mirror and shine a bright light in the front photosensor.

for actual use on the road, i prefer electrochromic mirrors over the older motorized ones. but with a 9200 mile car, you probably want to keep it as original as possible.

see also:

http://www.geocities.com/modularmotor/gentexmirror
Old 06-29-2002, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had two of them , and It hink they both worked (one is in my car right now and works , the other I Gave to a friend) , but I also hear that they are pieces of **** , lol

clean the lens on the photosensor, clean your hatch, then take another car , pull up behind yours (not too close), and shine their high beams, mirror should adjust on its own (leave the car running)

I wouldn't be surprised if it really was broken after 9200miles though , lol , good thing is that you can find them in junkyards pretty easily.