Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

how to make custom headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
how to make custom headliner?

hello everyone ive sen ppl on here have custom what i call 3d headliners like a embossed bowtie or 2 layer bird and some w/ flames in like door panels sail panels that kinda thing and in headliner.
my ? is what did you use or steps u took to do this i am wanting to do it on mine since i have no headliner and goin get bare board from a bone yard then buy some red material to cover it.
but i wanted to know were to buy that foam or what its exact name may be what id ned to do this im think some 3m super spray adhesive to do it and thinkin if i cut foam bowtie is need a roler or sorts to pres the fabric down tight around it.
so if anyone has a how to or step by step on this link or anything it would greatly help.
i havent ever done this but i am planning on it.
also will the regualr carpet padding work for the foam pieces?
the grey and black chipped glued together stuff that looks like osb board but its foam pieces and is for yur house carpet it goes under it for padding? thanks everyone
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 PM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
well as of right now i am the only one on the board with just a chevy bowtie in my headliner. atleast i think so. anyways, im not sure exactly what the foam is called, but ill bet your local interior place will tell you. there is a place where i live called B&M Foams&Fabrics. they sell everything you oculd imagine for the inside of a car. just thought i would let you know that there are places out there that have the materials, do a search on yahoo and see if you can find a site that they did a headliner on. you will find a site and it will list the materials. good luck
Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 PM

Car: 88 IROC Z
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: 700R4
ABOUT THE FOAM AND TOOLS

DUDE,
THE FOAM FOR THE BO-TIE , YOU WANT TO USE 1/8TH OR 1/4 INCH POLYEITHER FOAM YOU CAN GET IT AT YOUR LOCAL SEWING CLOTH SHOP. YEH, LIKE WHERE YOUR MOM WOULD GET MATERIAL FOR YOU A SHIRT. BUT YOU WANT TO GET SOME THAT IS FAIRLY HARD SO THE EDGES SHOW UP GOOD.
AS FOR TOOLS THE 3M SPRAY GLUE IS OK BUT THERE ARE STRONGER GLUES OUT THERE. WHEN YOU GOT THE BO-TIE WHERE YOU WANT IT ,THAT IS WHERE YOU START APPLYING THE HEAD LINER MATERIAL FIRST. AND USE A PLASTIC SQEEGE LIKE YOU USE FOR BONDO AND PRESS THE MATIRAL DOWN GOOD AROUND THE BO-TIE THEN STRECH IT TO GO ON THE REST OF THE BOARD. DONT PUSH REAL HARD AGAINST THE BOARD OR IT WILL CRUSH IN VERY EASY. INSTALL IN THE CAR !!!

DONT USE THE CARPET PAD!! IT IS NOT AS FLAT AS IT LOOKS. AND WON'T IRON OUT REAL SMOOTH.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:16 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
headliner

I know a really kool guy that does custom work like this, and he would just cut out what he wanted in cardboard, then put it on the panel and cover it, then he uses a spoon to press the fabric in all the little niches. It looks professional and is very easy to do
Old 02-19-2004, 09:44 PM

Car: 2003 Mach 1
The foam that is most commonly used is called closed cell foam. Here's a pic of a headliner I did in my old Sonoma. The pic was right after I did it, and after a couple days the foam swelled back out and looked better.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
awesome guys...

cardboard huh? my dad suggested that.

hes a lil reluctanat on doin this on mine.
i dont have a headliner right now board or nothin thanks to some damned cats gettin in my garage somehow
so im goin to buy a headliner board brown sunvisors and sail panels fomr a firebird ot t/a think its firebird has the bird in center of the tail lights goin get parts fomr it in a local junkyard all thoose parts for 20.
then buy material to cover it and foam or cardboard.
i read i should use stiff material? like leather vinyl that sorta tought material?
or could i get by w/ fabrics like was in there originally
or another cloth or what would u guys select for this job?