Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Small Fnt Fender Dent - Can it be pushed out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
Small Fnt Fender Dent - Can it be pushed out?

The other day I was washing the car as usual and accidentally smashed the plastic end of the car wash brush against the side (rounded) section of the front fender at the top (where the fender rounds at the very top and meets with the hood).

I put a little dent (approx a dime size with is not a usual DENT but rather a sharp verticle dent (it was the edge of the brush (plastic part where the bristles are in) head.

My question is this, can a body shop some how PUSH, or PULL the dent out WITHOUT having to drill a hole and use a dent puller, nor having to re-paint the section?

Can they remove the panel and push the dent out? (remember it's right at the very top IN the curved top edge).

And when this is pulled/pushed this way, will they be able to remove the dent completely?

Any idea what this would cost? (no drill, no repainting)

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 170 Likes on 124 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Based on the the way you asked the question, I would have to say the answer is "no".

You do have another option that will remove the damage without repainting. PDR. That's the purpose behind PDR, remove te dent without drilling or painting. Look in the yellow pages under auto repair and find at least 2 shops. Get 2 estimates and ask if he has references. The repair should not cost more than $150.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by scottmoyer
Based on the the way you asked the question, I would have to say the answer is "no".

Are you saying I was being sarcastic or something? I was asking an honest question.

You do have another option that will remove the damage without repainting. PDR. That's the purpose behind PDR, remove te dent without drilling or painting. Look in the yellow pages under auto repair and find at least 2 shops. Get 2 estimates and ask if he has references. The repair should not cost more than $150.
What's PDR?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
I don't think he meant to say you were sarcastic, but "the way you asked the question" it does sound like the dent is in a really tricky spot, and likely cannot be fixed without getting dirty.

I too have no idea what PDR is. Scott, wanna clue us in on what PDR is?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 02 WS6 Rear w/3:42
PDR is paintless dent removal
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM

I thought it was at the very top.. I was wrong. It's about 5" from the top. I included a picture of it.. VERY Hard to get on camera. It's on the flat side.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:12 PM

hmm.. I'm confused. My question was entirely on whether or not this dent could be removed without drill or re-painting and Scott says "no". But then says it can with PDR which *is* "paintless dent removal". That means yes.

Last edited by camarosource; 09-01-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Originally posted by camarosource
That means yes.
"yes" is a good thing....
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a crease in the bottom of the dent...PDR really only works on round bottom dents, if it is creased they will have to pull/push it out as far as possible and fill the crease with a body filler.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 170 Likes on 124 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
My response was not being sarcastic. You asked:

"My question is this, can a body shop some how PUSH, or PULL the dent out WITHOUT having to drill a hole and use a dent puller, nor having to re-paint the section?

Can they remove the panel and push the dent out? (remember it's right at the very top IN the curved top edge).

And when this is pulled/pushed this way, will they be able to remove the dent completely?

Any idea what this would cost? (no drill, no repainting) "

The answer is no. A body shop cannot do it the way you asked without using the traditional body shop methods.

A PDR technician (Paintless Dent Removal) can remove the dent without needing repaint. It won't be done in the way that you asked your question though. The fender will not be drilled, removed or painted. The work will be done with the fender on the car.

In response to Morley, you are wrong with the statement, "There is a crease in the bottom of the dent...PDR really only works on round bottom dents". When done correctly, a crease will be removed just as well as a round bottom dent. Do not misinform people of the ability of PDR unless you are a PDR tech yourself. We are having a hard enough time trying to show our ability without incorrect first impressions.

Camarosource, the dent in the picture is not an issue. A good PDR guy will have that dent gone in no time. If he's real good, you'll never know it was even there.

PM me and tell me where you're located and I'll see if I can find someone reputable in your area to help you out. That dent is also probably less than $100 also, but I'd have to see what access is available.

The below picture shows extreme damage and the ability of a good PDR tech. Body shops don't always like PDR because of this. The paint was damaged and is still visible, but the dent is gone!!!
Attached Thumbnails Small Fnt Fender Dent - Can it be pushed out?-dent.jpg  
Old 09-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to Morley, you are wrong with the statement, "There is a crease in the bottom of the dent...PDR really only works on round bottom dents". When done correctly, a crease will be removed just as well as a round bottom dent. Do not misinform people of the ability of PDR unless you are a PDR tech yourself. We are having a hard enough time trying to show our ability without incorrect first impressions.

Then the body shop I went to when my old car was hammered by softball sized hail was wrong. I was speaking from direct experiance in dealing with severely damaged body panels on my own car.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:27 AM

My response was not being sarcastic. You asked:

"My question is this, can a body shop some how PUSH, or PULL the dent out WITHOUT having to drill a hole and use a dent puller, nor having to re-paint the section?

Any idea what this would cost? (no drill, no repainting) "

The answer is no. A body shop cannot do it the way you asked without using the traditional body shop methods.

That is what I don't understand though. What you said IS what I asked.. I asked if they can some how either push or pull the dent out without having to drill a hole and using a dent puller to pull the dent out, and also not to have to re-paint.

According to PDR Technique, it's just that.. You don't need to drill a hole, and don't need to repaint.

I am in Burnaby, BC. Canada
Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Supreme Member

I think this is what scottmoyer is trying to get across. You asked if a Body Shop could push or pull the dent out without having to drill a hole and using a dent puller to pull the dent out, and also not to have to re-paint. His answer was no they can not. A Body Shop cant do that. They would use the more traditional ways.

But a PDR technician can fix the dent, without drilling holes/using a dent puller or repainting. PDR and a body shop are not the same thing.

Hope you get it
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 AM

Ah, thank you VERY MUCH mike83z-28 for shedding light on this. I understand now.

If I were to look in the yellow pages, what would I look under? What would I look for to locate a PDR in my area?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Hey no problem man scottmoyer can probably tell you where to find them. Try the automobile body repairing & painting section. Thats where they are listed in my book. Also sometimes when Im out driving I see trucks & cars with decals advertising PDR.