Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: Jasper 355
Transmission: Stock
Paint Help!!

Oh goodness fellas. As if my paint wasn't getting worse already, i had to walk outside for a quick look at my car after a terrible three-day downpour, and notice three to four huge sacks of water in my clear coat. I mean these suckers are baseball sized, and have a good layer of water in them. I managed to pop one and get the water out, but now there's bare red paint/primer exposed, and im horribly worried that this could result in body rust and/or damage. If any body has heard of this, and could adivse me on what I should do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sincerly,

91BADRS
Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Car: Was 3rd Gen now MustangGT
Engine: 302
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73:1
You might have to strip it all off, unless someones going to point to a miracle cure.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Auto
Clear coat failure....nothing you can do but strip and paint.

Sorry.

I just did the same thing, but in my case the paint was flaking right off the car exposing the primer. Pretty classic early '90s paint job.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
As long as there is paint there you wont have a rust problem. When you start to see primer or metal then you should start to worry. As a temporary "fix" you can sand down the affected areas w/ high grit paper (400 and higher) and wax the area. if you're lucky there will still be some clear under the bubbling areas after sanding down the screwed up part. The waxing will bring back the good look and also let you know if there is any clearcoat left. If the wax applicator has the body color paint on it after waxing, then the clear is totally gone, In this case you can try another temporary "fix" use the off-the-shelf rattle can clearcoat. Or if you dont care about looks you can use flat black. This is a ghetto temporary "fix" but the general idea is that you want to ensure the body is sealed off from oxygen so no rust starts while you save up to have a proper paintjob done. And since you will have to repaint it anyway to get it looking perfect, no harm done by applying a light coat of paint or clear to seal the affected areas off and prevent rust.Hopefully you'll be able to sand and wax with no issues.