Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS..... - Page 4 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Body
Reload this Page >

Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
  #151  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Unless the 1LE tank is NOS in some random dealership hanging out... But they do replace with aftermarket if there is a leak. If you smell gas and you in the vin range and with that low mileage I can say with 100% it will only get worse as the filler neck cracks with age (more miles). You can have pressure in he tank and still have a small leak.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM
  #152  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Pocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 7,817
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
I recently purchased a 1991 B4C Camaro with 13k original miles; it falls right into the affected VIN range.

When I fill it up to max capacity (meaning there's probably some fuel in the filler neck), I noticed a faint smell of gas. It goes away after some brief driving and doesn't come back until I top it off at a gas station, so I never thought much of it until I read this thread. When I unscrew the gas cap, there's good fuel pressure and the sound of it being released, so if there are leaks they can't be big.

Is there any way I can visually check the leaks before bringing it to the dealership?

Our dealership is decent so I'll give them a note and see what they say. I'll be sure to include the full recall information/language. A print-out from the NHTSA wouldn't hurt. I'll update on what comes from it.

If it needs a replacement, does anybody know if you can still get a 1LE baffled fuel tank?
Drivers rear wheel well there is a plastic cover over the filler neck. Drop that and shine a flash light to the base of the neck where it meets the tank. If your joint is cracked there will be obvious gas stains from fuel dripping down. The next step is to pressurize the tank and monitor how long it takes to return to atmo

Bear in mind a smell isnt a cause for alarm on the tank. There are a number of seals and vents that have aged since it was new

Dont worry too hard on the 1LE baffled tank. All 90-92 cars used the same baffled tank (search the history forum)
Pocket is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
  #153  
Senior Member
 
Dartht33bagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 664
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I have a 91 Z28 and lately my gas tank has been releasing pressure randomly. Today when I was putting some interior back in my car it made a little belch that sounded like the gas tank let go of pressure. So I took the gas cap off and put it back on to make sure it was on good.

Then I went driving later in the day and it did it again while going at low speeds over a speed bump. I'm thinking this recall may be to blame. Will dealers still inspect and fix this for free? Or could it be a faulty gas cap?

How do I know if my vin falls into this category? And no, I can't smell any gas as far as I can tell. At least I couldn't tonight when I got down by the wheel well and smelled.

Last edited by Dartht33bagger; 01-25-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Dartht33bagger is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
  #154  
Supreme Member
 
KMK454's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,213
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Well, sure enough I talked to them and they played dumb. I sent them a physical link to the NHTSA recall, the numbers, and the other information. Their response was that they couldn't find anything in the system, so I have to call GM. It's a little surprising because it's a decent dealership and I bought my wife's car from them, so we'll see... I'll do the check myself and see if I even need it. The more I drive my car, the better it gets as it wakes up from hibernation, so the hint of fuel smell is no longer showing up after refills.
KMK454 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
  #155  
Senior Member
 
Dartht33bagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 664
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I tried to check mine yesterday and I could only see the top of it through the little hole in the wheel well. I didn't feel or see anything wet....so I might try a new gas cap before I commit to calling the dealership.
Dartht33bagger is offline  
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
  #156  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 89
Car: 91 Camaro R/S
Engine: Tbi 350
Transmission: auto4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Did the 91 Firebird have this recall, because i filled my tank up ($44) and got back to my house and notice it was leaking, it leaked for 2 hrs, until i had about half a tank left and then it stopped... I plan on doing some JB weld until i can get the money to get a diffrent one.
curtalert89 is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
  #157  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
jer4251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 625
Car: 13 ZL1, 90 Iroc, 00 Z28, 14 Denali
Engine: LSA, LB9, LM7, L86
Transmission: M6, A4, A4, A6
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 2.73, 3.23, 3.42
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

just attempted to find info on my 2 current Z28's my 91 Z #L130952 and my 92 #L162827

both are in the recall numbers and both the dealer and gm service said they can't find anything. My 92 will spill gas on a hard turn if the tank is full. and the 1991 has the paint eaten around the tank opening.

I don't think its because my cars are not effected, they just dont know where to find the information anymore. Need to figure something out and have these 2 cars fixed.
jer4251 is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  #158  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
85IROCzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 188
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Just called the dealer and all I had to do was give the last 8 digits of my VIN. The guy on the phone found the recall immediately and I'm scheduled to bring it in on monday to get it fixed.
85IROCzzz is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
  #159  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 36
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Grapheatea View Post
Just called the dealer and all I had to do was give the last 8 digits of my VIN. The guy on the phone found the recall immediately and I'm scheduled to bring it in on monday to get it fixed.
Nice... I miss my camaro..Good luck...
CrAzYcUsToM is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
  #160  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall

Recently went through this with my 91RS. Had to go through three dealers to find one willing to assist. There are no OEM tanks in stock (so I was told) however I located one at Classic Ind., which was ordered by the dealer and I picked it up. I already had the tank dropped due to fuel pump issues, so I took them my leaking tank and they gave me the new one..

You can get this accomplished, just be patient and find a service manager who is willing to do a little work..
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
  #161  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Yes, they will! I used the logic that I was saving them money, as I had the tank already out, took a couple of days to clear it thru zone manager but got it done.

New baffled tank....
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
  #162  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Read original post! I was able to just exchange tanks, but I had a fuel pump problem and already had everything dropped. Service manager cleared it with district manager. All I had to do was show pictures of torn down car.
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
  #163  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Psycho_91Camaro View Post
no, the car has to be in running condition so that you may drive it in to the dealership. They will make all repairs necessary. And yes you get a new tank,newfuel pump.
Mine wasn't running as I had dropped tank due to fuel pump failure. Took cell phone pics of torn down car. They ordered new tank and I swapped old for new when it came in!
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 PM
  #164  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 23
Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 lo3
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Does anyone know if this is still being honored? I just read the post today and am wondering if it is worth my time to even bother calling up the local Chevrolet.
Cyberdragon1997 is offline  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 PM
  #165  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Screamin86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Verona Va
Posts: 1,320
Car: 86 Trans Am,03 Yukon,92 Z28
Engine: 5.3, 5.3, lb9
Transmission: th350,4l60e,700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73,3.73,2.73
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I'm wondering this too.
Screamin86 is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
  #166  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Cyberdragon1997 View Post
Does anyone know if this is still being honored? I just read the post today and am wondering if it is worth my time to even bother calling up the local Chevrolet.
Yes, the recall is still good. It is a safety recall, therefore Chevrolet cannot close it. Contact dealer, supply him with your vin #.
Depending on dealer ship, be prepared to go directly to the service manager. Believe me some will act DUMB, but stand your ground and you will get your issue resolved!
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
  #167  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 23
Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 lo3
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

They told me at the local dealer that nothing came up at all using my vin. Should I just attempt another dealership in another town because they have nothing at all on file for my vin.
Cyberdragon1997 is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
  #168  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Cyberdragon1997 View Post
They told me at the local dealer that nothing came up at all using my vin. Should I just attempt another dealership in another town because they have nothing at all on file for my vin.
Try another dealer and don't talk to service men, get directly to service manager.
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  #169  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Go to message boards. Then go to body. Click on it and you will see my post about gas tanks. Click on it and there is a comprehensive article on what you need to do. Stick with it. You can get it done!
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
  #170  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cordova, tenn 38016
Posts: 12
Car: 1991 Camaro rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WCT5 Rebuilt by Astro
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner posi disc 3.27
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Gary/Pam91Z28 View Post
Try another dealer and don't talk to service men, get directly to service manager.
Go to message boards, tech boards, body. Open my post on gas tank and read
Gary/Pam91Z28 is offline  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM
  #171  
Member
 
DROBECO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brandon FL
Posts: 151
Car: 91 RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Really glad i saw this thread, i have noticed since i bought my car two years ago every now and again i catch a wiff of raw fuel and it then i noticed it was mainly on fill ups or the day after in the heat so im guessing there is a pin hole leak that vapors are escaping from. Really helpful thread guys thanks for keeping it alive, i plan on calling the Dealership today to discuss this with them.
DROBECO is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
  #172  
Member
 
HiPerf_Chevyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 364
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Mine Cannot be leaking since I Loose a Few Pounds of Pressure in the tank when i fill up everytime
HiPerf_Chevyman is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 AM
  #173  
Member
 
V8Broski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 116
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Can i still use this recall? My car reeks of gas when you start it(the oxygen censor is broken i don't know if that's why) I'll have to check the gas tank but could i still have this done?
V8Broski is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
  #174  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by V8Broski View Post
Can i still use this recall? My car reeks of gas when you start it(the oxygen censor is broken i don't know if that's why) I'll have to check the gas tank but could i still have this done?
This recall is good for life as long as the tank is OE and wasn't rear eneded to cause tank damage. This means even if the car was checked back in 1995 for this and was cleared not to have the problem and now does they still have to fix it. Within those requriments they have to provide a rent-a-car and your car has to be fixed within 30 days. If they don't you get a new current year camaro. (This is all in the recall requirments that chevy put out when the recall was put out. Only law out there for them is to fix it and if cannot be fixed they have to buy it back. Only issue with all this is chevy requires OE parts and no after market parts... in other words the tanks are rare as ****.)

As long as your car falls within the vin range is has a leaking filler neck and wasn't wreck to cause tank damage they cannnot by federal law say no. Most service mangers will try to tell you that since the car is over 10 years that your screwed. But really the law says only if the recall came out before the car turned 10 (not sure if this is model year or manfacture date on door) then it's the manfactures duty to fix it and if over 10 when recall came out it's the owners responsibility. So with that all third gens with this recall call are good for life because this recall came out before any of the cars on the recall list turned 10.

You will need to provide the recall info that's attached to this thread to the service manager. Most will not be able to see the recall by you vin since the car is over 10. But all service mangers can look this up by campaign number or by simply going to www.safercar.gov. Do not let them pass you away with them saying the car was fixed years ago, even if it was and now has the exact same problem as in the recall they have to fix it again. Good idea would be to replace the in tank pump if original to the car while the tank is off. Also FYI the fuel pump seal is covered by the warrenty. So the only charge would be installing the new pump on the fuel pump assembly that goes into the tank and the cost of the pump.

Again this recall is good for life so take avantage of it
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  #175  
Member
 
92rs!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California
Posts: 104
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI L03
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

yeah mine smells like a gas station too :/
92rs! is offline  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
  #176  
Junior Member
 
BlackMumba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 305 V8
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

i have question so even to this day if this problem is accoring i can go and get this done still ? Or would i have pay out my pocket because my car smells really really bad of gas to the point of a head ach
BlackMumba is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 AM
  #177  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by BlackMumba View Post
i have question so even to this day if this problem is accoring i can go and get this done still ? Or would i have pay out my pocket because my car smells really really bad of gas to the point of a head ach
Ok the title for one needs to be changed on this thread because it does involve not only the RS but the Z28 and Firebird's.

On your question See attached on all the details about how to get your tank fixed and if it falls in the vin range and year range as per the PDF file. Note Dealerships can look this recall up buy Dealer Product Campaing Bulletin # 92C36. Or by just Campaing # 92C36. I've found one dealer calls it just Campaing number and doesn't know what Dealer Product Campaing Bulletin is... But this is the only way they can find this recall in their system. I recommend you print the PDF and have it handy when you bring the car in. Without mine it was like talking to a brick wall.

They can not charge you anything they even have to provide a longer car. They might try to stick you with a new seal for the fuel pump but they shouldn't as per the recall it was included in the cost and was to replaced along with the gas tank.

1. You must have the OE tank from GM that they installed or was replaced years ago but was a GM tank.

2. Your car must not have been in a wreck that would have damaged the fuel tank. In other words if the side of your car was hit with the filler neck and cause physical damage then it would be voided. I suggest tanking pictures of your car before you bring it to the dealer so that they can't claim that it was in a wreck that cause damaged to the tank.

That's basically it, they won't be able to look your car up by vin nether will customer service because of age and they purge that info after a certain date. Don't let them tell you that well when I type the vin nothing comes up so you don't have any recalls. That is just a standard I don't want to lift a finger an do my job kind of quote. The other quote you might get is them saying it has been already repaired. That doesn't matter because if the same leak happens again then they have to repair it again and can't charge you. In fact my car has had three gas tanks all from the dealer for free. First one was with the first owner and second tank was with the second owner (my brother) and third was with me.

Another quote they will say is that it's over ten years old. The law reads that if the car was less then ten years old when the recall came out then there is no time limit on getting it replaced for free.
Tho if the car was over ten years old when the recall came out then it's up to the owner to have it fixed.

Have any question shoot back I have this thread on auto alert send to my e-mail so I should respond quickly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gas Tank Recall.pdf (584.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by kd5bwp; 07-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 07-24-2012, 12:54 AM
  #178  
Junior Member
 
BlackMumba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 7
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 305 V8
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Thanks so much for clearing that up because i recently brought my 91 camaro it never been in accident and it smells really bad.
BlackMumba is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
  #179  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 281
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Just got back from Starling Chevy in Deland, FL. Pulled up to the service dept, told them I didn't think the recall work was ever done. They punched in my VIN and pulled the info, ordered a new tank on the spot. I didn't have to do a dang thing, and here I had printed all the NHSTA info on the recall and brought it with, turned out it wasn't needed. Hell they didn't even look at the car other than to get the VIN. They must need work or something, LOL.

SWEET.
MadCelt is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
  #180  
Member
 
HiPerf_Chevyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 364
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

you gotta be shi**in me... i gotta see a pic of the new tank..... haha For real. I want to change my Fuel pump and I was thinking of having the dealer get a new tank, and I'd buy a New pump for them to Replace while they were there.......... of course I wouldnt say anything till they ordered the tank, and id say BTW I bought a pump...
HiPerf_Chevyman is offline  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  #181  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: tuned port 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: .323
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

So they do have to give me a new tank right?? the dude kept sayin that he would have to patch it or some bull crap.
Wormdog13 is offline  
Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
  #182  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Wormdog13 View Post
So they do have to give me a new tank right?? the dude kept sayin that he would have to patch it or some bull crap.

They have to give you a new tank trying to weld or 're solder on a used tank is just asking for an explosion. Under federal law they have to replace it patch is a quick fix that will only leak down the road. Has to be a new tank per the recall accept nothing else.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
  #183  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: tuned port 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: .323
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by kd5bwp View Post
They have to give you a new tank trying to weld or 're solder on a used tank is just asking for an explosion. Under federal law they have to replace it patch is a quick fix that will only leak down the road. Has to be a new tank per the recall accept nothing else.
OK so I finally got him to order me a new tank, he said it'd be here in a week. Do they also replace the pump and sending unit??
Wormdog13 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 PM
  #184  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Wormdog13 View Post
OK so I finally got him to order me a new tank, he said it'd be here in a week. Do they also replace the pump and sending unit??
The only thing related to the fuel pump and sending unit they replace is the gasket housing. It would be wise to give them a new pump or have a new one installed. They will only charge 30min to install the new pump in the assembly pump and sending unit. If they try to charge you the full amount in labor as if they were dropping the tank tell them to **** off. They can't double dip on labor chargers if they are already getting paid for the same job from Chevy. If you do replace the pump or if not either way change the pump sock.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM
  #185  
Member
 
HiPerf_Chevyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 364
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: The Wicked six'ah
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 3.08's
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by Wormdog13 View Post
OK so I finally got him to order me a new tank, he said it'd be here in a week. Do they also replace the pump and sending unit??
Get yourself a new pump. up in maine gas tanks rust so bad they leak... and I always put a new pump in. However dont get the Airtex pump. Bosch is what I use..

Some people might say airtex is fine. its the installer. HA. Do yourself a favor and look up Airxtex fuel pump reviews on google or your parts stores website!
HiPerf_Chevyman is offline  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
  #186  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (7)
 
TTOP350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: central Il USA
Posts: 9,962
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I'd almost bet GM wont put a aftermarket pump in the new tank unless they are veeeery cool.. Here is a great pump to use.
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...=FPA%2D019&eq=
TTOP350 is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM
  #187  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
BOTTLEDZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,830
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

subscribed. Im hoping I cant get GM to swap tanks out for me since my car is currently off the road and taken apart.
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  #188  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 40
Car: 1986 Trans am
Engine: tuned port 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: .323
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I got a new fuel pump for it today and they finally called and they have my tank at the shop. Its been a month haha. But tomorrow my baby will have a new gas tank!!!!
Wormdog13 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
  #189  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
BOTTLEDZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,830
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

What did you guys do that had dealerships refuse to do the recall because the tank was discontinued through GM? The local dealer says they cant help me. Do they need to submit paperwork to GM or something to buy an aftermarket tank?
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
  #190  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
BOTTLEDZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,830
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

I just got off the phone with GM. 45 minutes later and they cannot even find the recall in their system. I gave them my VIN and the bulletin number and they told me that nothing comes up on their end!!! Now I'm frustrated. They said they would call me back! Those of you that had this done already through a dealership, can you please send me the dealers contact info so I can call them and see what they did to have GM authorize this recall? If you had it done over 4 years ago then just remember that the dealership may not even remember it so ;Im hoping some of you guys that had it done within the year can help.
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
  #191  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
I just got off the phone with GM. 45 minutes later and they cannot even find the recall in their system. I gave them my VIN and the bulletin number and they told me that nothing comes up on their end!!! Now I'm frustrated. They said they would call me back! Those of you that had this done already through a dealership, can you please send me the dealers contact info so I can call them and see what they did to have GM authorize this recall? If you had it done over 4 years ago then just remember that the dealership may not even remember it so ;Im hoping some of you guys that had it done within the year can help.
They are giving you the run a round.
Pm your email me if you still have issues and I'll send you a copy of my receipt.
Meanwhile here is the DM over the gas tank recall.
David
1-800-222-1020
X11361
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  #192  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
BOTTLEDZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,830
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

These dipshits at GM are beginning to get me pissed. They just called me back and told me I am **** out of luck with this recall because my VIN doesn't have any open recalls! They said there is nothing they can do and have no more advice for me. My vin is 1G1FP23F2ML188440. 1991
Model year.

If anyone with any paperwork who has had this done can help me out with either contact info or paperwork then can you please email me at [email protected] dot com.

I called the number listed above and they will not transfer me to that extension unless I have a case number! I argue with lady and them she wants my phone number AND home address!!! WHY

Last edited by BOTTLEDZ28; 10-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
  #193  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (9)
 
BOTTLEDZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,830
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by MadCelt View Post
Just got back from Starling Chevy in Deland, FL. Pulled up to the service dept, told them I didn't think the recall work was ever done. They punched in my VIN and pulled the info, ordered a new tank on the spot. I didn't have to do a dang thing, and here I had printed all the NHSTA info on the recall and brought it with, turned out it wasn't needed. Hell they didn't even look at the car other than to get the VIN. They must need work or something, LOL.

SWEET.
What did they do to get the ball rolling and did you end up getting a new tank? I just called there and they have no idea what I am talking about.
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
  #194  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
These dipshits at GM are beginning to get me pissed. They just called me back and told me I am **** out of luck with this recall because my VIN doesn't have any open recalls! They said there is nothing they can do and have no more advice for me. My vin is 1G1FP23F2ML188440. 1991
Model year.

If anyone with any paperwork who has had this done can help me out with either contact info or paperwork then can you please email me at [email protected] dot com.

I called the number listed above and they will not transfer me to that extension unless I have a case number! I argue with lady and them she wants my phone number AND home address!!! WHY
Your car is within the vin range. I called the number a few times and never had to talk to anyone but him. I just call the number and when prompted type the extition in. Now he is only in charge of a few dealerships but should be able to point you in the correct direction.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
  #195  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
These dipshits at GM are beginning to get me pissed. They just called me back and told me I am **** out of luck with this recall because my VIN doesn't have any open recalls! They said there is nothing they can do and have no more advice for me. My vin is 1G1FP23F2ML188440. 1991
Model year.

If anyone with any paperwork who has had this done can help me out with either contact info or paperwork then can you please email me at [email protected] dot com.

I called the number listed above and they will not transfer me to that extension unless I have a case number! I argue with lady and them she wants my phone number AND home address!!! WHY
Sorry I gave the main number the first time my bad. Here's the number to GM District Managers
1-866-790-5600
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
  #196  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 281
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post
What did they do to get the ball rolling and did you end up getting a new tank? I just called there and they have no idea what I am talking about.
I just went to the dealer to start with. But first, I verified my VIN was within the recal range, printed the recall letter, etc. I had all the documentaion I could find before I went. Turned out I didn't need it. The service dept at Starling has been awesome.

However, GM no longer makes or stocks our tanks. SO! I called GM and had them run my VIN for recalls... this one came up of course. I let them know the dealer I was working with. Took them some time (over a month) but the finally came through with an aftermarket tank.

After the decided to go aftermarket with the tank, they suggested using an actual GM dealer and not an independent. Apparently independent dealers do not have to perform the work, and some will refuse. So, I would ask GM what dealer I should go to if I were in your shoes.

GM will work with you as long as your car is actually part of the recall. Some VINs were not included, and these will be trouble.
MadCelt is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
  #197  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by MadCelt View Post
I just went to the dealer to start with. But first, I verified my VIN was within the recal range, printed the recall letter, etc. I had all the documentaion I could find before I went. Turned out I didn't need it. The service dept at Starling has been awesome.

However, GM no longer makes or stocks our tanks. SO! I called GM and had them run my VIN for recalls... this one came up of course. I let them know the dealer I was working with. Took them some time (over a month) but the finally came through with an aftermarket tank.

After the decided to go aftermarket with the tank, they suggested using an actual GM dealer and not an independent. Apparently independent dealers do not have to perform the work, and some will refuse. So, I would ask GM what dealer I should go to if I were in your shoes.

GM will work with you as long as your car is actually part of the recall. Some VINs were not included, and these will be trouble.
Actually every vin within the rage was effected and part of the recall. It stated every car within the range had to be inspected. So I image they had the problem with the entire batch of tanks. Same thing happen with the seat belt recall they first started out with just a few vins and then expanded to have every car within the range part of the recall. Main problem is with GM is that if it was checked years ago or fixed once before it was removed from the system or they purged the vins after so many years. They GM didn't keep accurate records per Federal Law because recalls are good for life and have to be repaired even if they fixed it once years ago for the same problem. I know because my car has had a few tanks installed and is about to have another tank because it has started to leak at the same point as described in the recall. (FYI all my tanks have been aftermarket except the first two). Most of the third gens didn't probably have any issues when they were younger but most if not all will have this problem as they age. The problem is that they didn't have any ability to have the filler necks to flex and they didn't solder them correctly. With those two combine you will develop leaks at some point.

On to the independent dealers refusing they are breaking their contract agreements with GM and Federal Law. Since they represent the company they have to repair fix and do recalls on GM products. I've had issues where GM dealers refuse but I file complaints with DOT and GM and so far to date one dealership was fined for refusing to perform the work.

But on the tanks yes the tanks have been long gone, the only two manfactures I know of for this car is Dorman (only seen this at Classic Industries) the other is Spectra.

Last edited by kd5bwp; 10-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
kd5bwp is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM
  #198  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 281
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by kd5bwp View Post
Actually every vin within the rage was effected and part of the recall. It stated every car within the range had to be inspected. So I image they had the problem with the entire batch of tanks. Same thing happen with the seat belt recall they first started out with just a few vins and then expanded to have every car within the range part of the recall. Main problem is with GM is that if it was checked years ago or fixed once before it was removed from the system or they purged the vins after so many years. They GM didn't keep accurate records per Federal Law because recalls are good for life and have to be repaired even if they fixed it once years ago for the same problem. I know because my car has had a few tanks installed and is about to have another tank because it has started to leak at the same point as described in the recall. (FYI all my tanks have been aftermarket except the first two). Most of the third gens didn't probably have any issues when they were younger but most if not all will have this problem as they age. The problem is that they didn't have any ability to have the filler necks to flex and they didn't solder them correctly. With those two combine you will develop leaks at some point.

On to the independent dealers refusing they are breaking their contract agreements with GM and Federal Law. Since they represent the company they have to repair fix and do recalls on GM products. I've had issues where GM dealers refuse but I file complaints with DOT and GM and so far to date one dealership was fined for refusing to perform the work.

But on the tanks yes the tanks have been long gone, the only two manfactures I know of for this car is Dorman (only seen this at Classic Industries) the other is Spectra.
As far as the VIN, yes you are correct. This is what I meant when I said 'not included'. Meaning, not in the VIN range. Yeah they asked me why the recall work hadn't been done to my car. How the heck should I know? LOL. I'm not the original owner, LOL. But, good chance it failed AFTER it was brought in for testing.

Yes, contractually independent dealers are supposed to, and such and such. But, unless a stubborn independent is your only option, why fight it? A lot easier to go to a dealer who is happy to take the work. They get paid by GM, so the smart ones do it gladly.

They got my tank from 1AAuto. Not sure what brand it is, 1ATony would know of course.
MadCelt is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
  #199  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 281
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

PM sent
MadCelt is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM
  #200  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....

Originally Posted by MadCelt View Post
As far as the VIN, yes you are correct. This is what I meant when I said 'not included'. Meaning, not in the VIN range. Yeah they asked me why the recall work hadn't been done to my car. How the heck should I know? LOL. I'm not the original owner, LOL. But, good chance it failed AFTER it was brought in for testing.

Yes, contractually independent dealers are supposed to, and such and such. But, unless a stubborn independent is your only option, why fight it? A lot easier to go to a dealer who is happy to take the work. They get paid by GM, so the smart ones do it gladly.

They got my tank from 1AAuto. Not sure what brand it is, 1ATony would know of course.
So true problem I've had is that GM doesn't want you to go to a different dealership while they try to work out finding a tank but in that time I find that dealership changes their mind and puts speed bumps for us third gens. I'm all for going to a nice place because then I know they won't be mad and do a shitty job on my car.
kd5bwp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Tank Recall...Read if you have a 1991 Camaro RS.....


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: