Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

82 Camaro Floor Pan Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Camaro Z28 Pace Car
Engine: Currently: 305 LG4
Transmission: Currently: 200C with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3:42 full posi
82 Camaro Floor Pan Question

Hey guys,

New to these forums. I have a question about the floor pan for my 82 pace car. I've been restoring it since the end of May, doing things kinda slow, just when I have a chance to do things. Well, I'm onto the floor now, since it's rusting in places it never really has before, so instead of putting in 24 different patch panels, I've decided to do the entire thing.

My question is, since the pans I want are in the two sections, not whole as most of you know, would it be easier to cut one section out of the Camaro, then weld in one at a time, or weld the two peices together, then drop them in that way? I'm kinda leaning towards the weld it together outside then drop in idea. I also plan on putting a coat of undercoating on both sides just to aleviate any chance of "future" rust. Any info you guys could give me would be great.

Thanks in advance

P
Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt
I would do one side at a time to keep the most strength possible in the car when you are cutting the old pans out.If you were to do it as one whole piece get it bolted down on a frame rack so it cannot move, otherwise it may tweak and once welded you'll have problems.

Cut out one side at a time,fit & trim the new one,weld it in.

Move to the opposite side.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Car: 83' Camaro, 88' TPI 350 Firebird
Engine: 383
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 5.13s or 4.56s
floor pans

How much are you paying for new floor pans with shipping or delivery?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Alright, thanks, that makes sense. I wish i had a frame rack, I think thats gonna have to be one of the things I buy soon haha. Thanks again.

The new pans I'm getting are 219 a side, with a shipping of 100. They're from www.drclassic.com they have alot of Camaro parts there. Shipping on the site is whacked, so I emailed them, and I was told it's only a percentage, shipping to a residential is 150 and shipping to business is 100. Hopefully my boss does infact let me use our lift at work!

edit: btw I haven't ordered them yet, you wouldn't happen to know of a cheaper place or anything would you?

P

Last edited by AkiraHunter; 10-05-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM

i have gotten floor pans for cars outa the junk yard a few times. we have self pull junk yards out here in cali, so a battery powered sawsall works wonders.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Well if you don't mind getting a rust free floorpan from another car. I'm cutting up a Firebird Saturday. I think the quarters and floor are sold. I've been asked about the rockers too, would like to leave them with the pans. Will see what shipping costs to your area. Do Truppi-Kling still have a shop in Toms River?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM

Sixpack, well the main junk yards I've seen around here dont really have many "nice" f-bodys. Bein here where I am in TR, its all salt watery air, so there tends to get alot of rust. And theres only one walk in yard that I know of anywhere near me.

Brian, I've actually never herad of Truppi Kling, the website they have is down for service, but they're number is a propper TR area code. Do you live in Jersey? And if the pan is rust free as you said and is in nice condition I think it'd be worth a look. I could even come get it if you're not that far. But if it's sold I guess I'm SOL lol. But its worth a look, cuz the place I linked above its gonna be about 540 shipped, but it's mint new. But yea, let me know what's up and we'll go from there, I'd like to get started asap, but I don't mind waiting alittle and seeing other options. Thanks again.

P
Old 10-06-2006, 07:56 AM

I'm in El Paso TX. Will try to put some pictures on the board this weekend. Have two cars that have clean floorpans. If shipping charges can be covered reasonably then I have what you want. The pan I will take out this weekend will be used to get prices for shipping around the U.S. Things here are hectic right now with my wife shipping to Ft Bragg early tomorrow morning on her way to Iraq. They're leaving early so I should have all day to work on this tomorrow, unless I find out today I have to work tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 AM

Hey just reading your project list. Saw the old trans listed as a 200. Was that car a 3-speed? Sounds funny but that old 3-speed Th-200 that no one wants is what I'm building for my 305 car. If you're not familiar with T/K they were/are one of the top engine shops in the country.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:08 PM

Haha, Brian, Texas is alittle... well, far for a local pickup! Although that would be fun as hell. Yea, I'd love to see some pics of the floor pans, I'd like the seat tracks too if thats possible. What year is the floor coming out of? If its 85 + then I won't need to get the crossmember adapter kit from Spohn, and just a reg 700R4 crossmember.

The trans was infact the 3-speed 200C, 82 -84 had them. I've heard alot of people complain about it, but you know what, with that kit that the guy before me put in it, thing hit 2nd gear like a bastard. I had no complaints from it. I manually shifted it and she hauled. The only thing that happened was when I blew it, I lost 3rd and reverse haha. I'm also gonna try and research more about T/K as well.

Also, please tell your wife to be safe in Iraq and thank you for serving her country and doing her duty!
Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 PM

floorpan & seat tracks

Getting the floorpan out after work took longer than I thought. I cut above the tar seam and cut the rockers with the pan. Need to cut around the trans tunnel at the firewall yet. For people out there that want floorpans give me feedbaclk on where is best to cut thesse things out. If you want seat tracks make me an offer. Got some today from a Firebird. They have some surface rust on parts under the seat with gray vinyl on the exterior. I have media blasting available on all my parts. Let me know. Will have floorpan out by Wednesday.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:57 PM

Hey Brian, yea, definitely let me know about that floor pan. I want basically the entire thing, so where ever you cut is ok, as long as I can trim it if I have to in order to get it in. I dont need the rear cargo area though, just the front and rear seats both sides. If you could get some pictures that would be great, if you prefer, you can email them to me at AkiraHunter@gmail.com and also, I'd like the seat tracks too if they are in nice shape. Just give me some figures on what you're lookin for and we can work through the rest. Anyway, thanks again.

Paul
Old 10-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 92 TA vert
Engine: LS1
my pans came in 2 pices and i cut out the hole floor at one time. the 2 new ones will over lap and it was easyer to just do them both at the same time.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Hey Trigger, is there any reason you left some pieces still attached near the firewall? I gotta get a body rack to make my life easier too... But from how it looks, whats left in the car looks really good. I cant wait till mine gets back to good status! haha.

P
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

it all came out. at that point i just had not made it that far. you can see on the drivers side that i had started to drill out the spot welds. i dont think i ever got a pic with it all out.

here is one with them all out. and starting to rebuild the rocker panel
http://www.ccfbg.com/projectcar/EPSN0333.JPG

Last edited by trigger GTA; 10-09-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM

Wow Trigger, you've done alotta work. I looked at the rest of those pics and you did a really good job. Looks really nice. Where did you get your floor from and how much did you pay? Still exploring my options. But hopefully I can get the ball rollin soon.

P
Old 10-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Supreme Member

i got my floor pans in the classifields of this board. i am not sure where he got them from. they were new and had never been installed. i got them both for 350 if i remember right
Old 10-11-2006, 03:40 AM

Damn man, thats a good price. Think I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm gonna do, just waitin to hear from Brian first to see how that goes.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43
I'm still waiting to hear from Brian too...

Trigger, i looked through all of the pics on your site there... Wow - thats some awesome work you're doing - I am still contemplating what to do with my car.. anyway, a few questions -

What did you paint the floor pans with before you welded them? It looks like POR15 but then it also looks like u welded through it so i figured maybe it is weldable primer?

I didnt see any kind of structural bracing while the floor was out.. Did you do/use any? Do you think you could weld in subframe connectors (for rigidity) and then replace the floor pan?

Do you have any pictures/info of all the tools you used for everything?

Would you mind if i asked how much you paid for the shell to be blasted and primed?

I am really interested in your project - As i mentioned, i am still figuring out what to do with my rust bucket, might buy a welder and try and learn how to weld so i can do it myself (you will maybe see a welder in the for sale section if i do)..

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Hang on guys. My son will have to put the pictures up. Will work on this Saturday morning again and have the pictures up Sunday. Have identified the second car if this goes OK. Thanks for your patience. I actually have pictures transfered to my computer, trying to post them.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

i did paint the floors with por15. if i was to do it agian i would give the pans a light sand blasting. por does not bond well to smooth metal. i touched up the welds with por and a brush. i also removed the paint before welding there i needed too.

as you could see from the rest of my pics the car is stripped down to just the shell. there is very little weight in the car. with 8 or so jack stands i felt the car did not need the extra bracing. if the engine was in it as well as all the extra stuff i would wanted it then. I did keep the doors on and the k memeber in to be sure that they would still line up.

i think the SFC would be in the way if you added them first. there is alot of cutting the old floor out and even more fitting of the new one. the last set of SFC i added i welded them to the same seem that the new floor would also get welded to. personaly i would do them after.

tools are not all that bad.
welder
die grinder with cut off wheel
tin snipps
drill and bits
lots of vice grips
hammer and chisel(air hammer would be better)

the shell was Chemicaly stripped. Com.org - Only the best links ...
cost was about 200more than sand blasting. $800 total. the priming i did myself so it was only a few 100 in primer.

if you realy do have a "rust bucket" save some money and do yourself a huge favore. but just buying a car in good shape to start with. unless the car has some kind of special meening for you. or you want a hobby that will take up all your time and money

Originally Posted by Ricco
I'm still waiting to hear from Brian too...

Trigger, i looked through all of the pics on your site there... Wow - thats some awesome work you're doing - I am still contemplating what to do with my car.. anyway, a few questions -

What did you paint the floor pans with before you welded them? It looks like POR15 but then it also looks like u welded through it so i figured maybe it is weldable primer?

I didnt see any kind of structural bracing while the floor was out.. Did you do/use any? Do you think you could weld in subframe connectors (for rigidity) and then replace the floor pan?

Do you have any pictures/info of all the tools you used for everything?

Would you mind if i asked how much you paid for the shell to be blasted and primed?

I am really interested in your project - As i mentioned, i am still figuring out what to do with my rust bucket, might buy a welder and try and learn how to weld so i can do it myself (you will maybe see a welder in the for sale section if i do)..

Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited by trigger GTA; 10-11-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:46 PM

Haha... ahh... thats the problem with my Camaro. Too much sentiment to get ridda this thing...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Thanks for the reply Trigger, i find it very interesting to hear what you have done / are doing..

What was the reason for you dipping your car instead of having it blasted? how did you get in all the hidden places with the primer once it had been dipped? Are you concerned about having any exposed metal anywhere?

My car was bought as a project/hobby so i could learn to do all this kind of stuff.. The daily run around is my Truck and i have a Yamaha YZF R1 for the weekends until the Camaro is done

I have worked on cars before but never really done any body work and never done any welding but i am a good learner and this is what i like doing. So far i have dropped the rear, removed the gas tank and shocks and am slowly working my way through restoring brackets and stuff i take off, i had to grind off the rear swaybar drop links (my first time with a grinder) and cut off the exhaust (it sounded good after that when i fired it up) so my tool collection is also starting to take shape.. I'm kind of leary about stripping the entire car to the shell right now as i live in a rented duplex and I am not sure if when i might be moving - hence i am still in unsure of how to tackle my project..

When you stripped your car, how have you organised all the peices for when you put it back together? All the nuts and bolts and fasteners especially?

Sorry for all the questions, but like i said i have never done anything like this before and so i am just trying to learn from what other people have done.

Is a GM Service Manual a good investment for putting it back together? Does it have the specs on all the fasteners to use incase yuo can remember which screw went where??

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ricco
What was the reason for you dipping your car instead of having it blasted? how did you get in all the hidden places with the primer once it had been dipped? Are you concerned about having any exposed metal anywhere?

very good question. there is no real way to get the primer in every seam and between the layers of metal But then there is no real way to get all the rust out of the same places with sandblasting.
so do you leave the old rust in places that the sand blaster cant get to or do you get that rust by dipping but not get it 100% covered with primer.

Both methods are not perfect. i picked dipping because it will not warp the panels or blow holes in good metal. cost was about the same. there was less cleaning and prep before priming also. all the seams will be sealed just like the factory does when i am done so i hope that it will also help.

as for installing all the old parts. every nut, washer, and bolt went into a zip lock bag and then was taped to the part it came from. lots and lots of pics. and i do have a GM manual also. i also happen to have 2 other birds to take a look at when ever i need to.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Re: 82 Camaro Floor Pan Question

Originally Posted by sixpackmtrspts
i have gotten floor pans for cars outa the junk yard a few times. we have self pull junk yards out here in cali, so a battery powered sawsall works wonders.
Do you know of anywhere close to ohio I can get floor pans for 82 camaro passenger and driver cheap my email is justinhall2@icloud.com