Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

I hate doors & i hate door hinges!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373
I hate doors & i hate door hinges!

Almost time for exterior body work. . .
The first thing that pops into mind is doors - I hate them!
Weighing around 90 pounds per door! (that's nearly costing you two tenths in a quarter mile) not only that iv bought and sold numerous set trying to find a good solid set of doors with crisp clean body lines with no dents with out the bottoms of the jams rusted out. The problem is its give and take, I'm stuck with clean doors and no pick on door hinges - Its another one of GM's great ideas. 90 pounds of swinging weight plus unboltable hinges and who knows how many time someones used the door as a hand railing to get out of the car. Lets face it the door hinges suck! Im looking for some alternative to this problem i have found replacement pins, bushings etc.
The best thing i have found and read so far was this article on chevy high performance (link below) http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...aro/index.html

Seems top down solutions sells a smiler kit i found here
http://www.top-downsolutions.com/pro...products_id=33

Im wounding if anyone runs something like this and how they like it and did it fix all the problems associated with worn hinges
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: I hate doors & i hate door hinges!

I've tried to fix them on my black 89 Daily driver. The drivers door used to move half an inch up and down, Just changing the bottom pin made a large difference. it's a huge PITA though..
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I am in the process of redoing my hinges. I went with the greasable door pin kit from TDS. I also ordered new lower detent pin and rollers as well as springs, also from TDS. So far I only have the lower hinge apart (only about 1/2 hour of work into it so far). The upper pins seem like they are very good quality and I love the idea of zerk fittings on them.

The lower pin will probably solve most of you door movement problems. But if you really want it fixed and done with, I wouild do the upper pins also.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373

i plan on doing both the upper and lower door hinges
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on mine the driver side pin worked its way into the metal of the hinge so i welded pieces of metal to the hinges drilled 4 new bushings and pins from a pickup.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TDS door hinge repair kit helped, along with the TDS door alighnment tool. And I had to get the door spring removal tool also from TDS b/c I didn't want the spring to go flying. The doors shut a lot easier now.

I want to go a step further and replace that huge bolt that the latch catches but haven't done that yet. There is also a little black spacer that was added on newer cars(89-92???) on either the inside of the door, above the latch or on the body of the car.

Part of the problem with door shutting is the amount of air that is moved/trapped. If the window was down say an inch, the door shuts really easy. Or if the passenger door is open.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FueledSoul
Almost time for exterior body work. . .
The first thing that pops into mind is doors - I hate them!
Weighing around 90 pounds per door! (that's nearly costing you two tenths in a quarter mile) not only that iv bought and sold numerous set trying to find a good solid set of doors with crisp clean body lines with no dents with out the bottoms of the jams rusted out. The problem is its give and take, I'm stuck with clean doors and no pick on door hinges - Its another one of GM's great ideas. 90 pounds of swinging weight plus unboltable hinges and who knows how many time someones used the door as a hand railing to get out of the car. Lets face it the door hinges suck! Im looking for some alternative to this problem i have found replacement pins, bushings etc.
The best thing i have found and read so far was this article on chevy high performance (link below) http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...aro/index.html

Seems top down solutions sells a smiler kit i found here
http://www.top-downsolutions.com/pro...products_id=33

Im wounding if anyone runs something like this and how they like it and did it fix all the problems associated with worn hinges
That was great! My grandfather has a 17 year Camaro & it's doors were saggy. I wonder if they are still qualified for the repair