Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Spaghetti Engineering Firebird LED Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 N/A
Transmission: Manual 4 Speed
Spaghetti Engineering Firebird LED Tail Lights

Hey guys im starting this thread to gauge the interest in an LED tail light kit for third gen firebirds.

After a lot of searching around and coming up with nothing but unfinished projects, companies that only make kits for camaros, and one of setups i figured id look into options for a full kit ment for our cars.

I contacted a few companies and spaghetti engineering has been more than a pleasure to deal with. Right now they do not offer a kit but if they can get enough interest they can possibly push up plans on releasing a kit.

Ive started this thread to see how many people would be interested in buying a kit and to see your input as far as what youd like to see in the kit. Depending on how this goes i was told a group buy would almost garuntee the kit gets released sooner than later.

At this time theres not even a rough estimate on price since the kit isnt in the works yet. I would guess (this is just me) that the final cost would be comparable to the camaro kits they offer at around $300. I know the cost will be a huge factor in interest but please try not to get hung up on it since nothign is even out there yet.

That being said lets see what you guys have to say. Thanks

http://www.spaghettiengineering.com/...store/home.asp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XaGPpfIXzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6g7r2C1H-Q

Last edited by Adrenaline1; 02-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Car: '89 Firebird Trans Am WS6 - project
Engine: Building a 400 C.I. SB Chevy V8
Transmission: manual T5
Axle/Gears: posi rear end
Re: Spaghetti Engineering Firebird LED Tail Lights

I would be interested in this. I am planing to put LED tails into my first gen Trans Am (Ames Performance has them), and would like to do it with my third gen as well. It looks like Spaghettie is doing it right too, they are filling the whole tail light lens with an even distribution of LEDs instead of putting an LED bulb into a normal tail light assembly which gives you a bright round/X/or star shape in the middle of it like some manufacturers do (which actually isn't bad depending on what your tail light shape is...).

I would assume cost is going to be similar to what they charge for the Camaros, too. Ames offers their LED kits for the first gen Firebirds at $199, or you can get a sequential kit for $209. So either way, LED kits of any kind probably run $200-300 (maybe more?) no matter who you go with. Perhaps a large enough group buy will give a lower price closer to what Ames offers...?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27

Would they be up to making the different versions of Firebird taillights(Firebird/Formula, '87-'90 T/A-GTA and '91-'92 T/A-GTA)?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

I've been looking for something like this for a while. The only ones I've seen are one-off's or just look like crap. I don't think $200-$300 is unreasonable if the kit is a quality piece. Its just a matter of people say they are interested, and those who actually are (as in actually have cash to back up their interests).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Starbug - Thanks for your input.

Mongoose - As of right now i believe the focus would be on making a kit that fits a majority of the third gen tail light housings. They make each style kit specificly for each application. If other kits were to come out for specific years that use different housings i would think that would come later. This is of course dependent on the differences between each of the housings and stuff. Regardless, if this thread gets rolling i can pass on any questions, suggestions, requests on to the person im working with.

blacksunshine - I agree on the price. The problem as i see it is, people are cheap and w/o fail someone complains about price even when its acceptable. Like you said it comes down to who will actually be willing to order. As of right now this is just to gauge interest and if it turns out well a group buy may be started.

To anyone here just to complain about a possible price point, please keep it to yourself. Not only hasnt a ballpark price been put out there but thats not the focus of this thread.

Last edited by Adrenaline1; 02-09-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

I wonder just how many times we are going to see a thread like this one, yet no actual results....Right now I know of 1 other currently running besides the numerous ones that started & never became anything.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...il-lights.html
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Well for one an established company that makes LED kits for cars asked me to see who was interested and get feedback, the head engineer who designs the kits has a third gen firebird and has wanted to design a kit for it, and its good to have options. Spaghetti Engineering has an actual line of products to show for itself, they arent just some people saying they want to design a kit. Maybe a number of threads need to be started before a company can be found who has an actual interest in doing something. IMO the fact that i was asked to see who was interested and what those people would want says a lot imo.

Last edited by Adrenaline1; 02-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Adrenaline1
Well for one an established company that makes LED kits for cars asked me to see who was interested and get feedback, the head engineer who designs the kits has a third gen firebird and has wanted to design a kit for it, and its good to have options. Spaghetti Engineering has an actual line of products to show for itself, they arent just some people saying they want to design a kit. Maybe a number of threads need to be started before a company can be found who has an actual interest in doing something. IMO the fact that i was asked to see who was interested and what those people would want says a lot imo.
And therein lies the problem.....A company only looks at product development from a bottom line financial standpoint. "Can we make enough profit to make it worth our while to develop?" If the profit margin for them isn't high enough, for the standards, they won't bother doing it. Whereas an individual/enthusiast will just because he wants to. He doesn't need to make 100% profit on his item. I Have zero doubt that that would be Spaghetti Engineering decision making point.

I do hope you succeed in having them made, but I have seen MANY try & none have succeeded. Spaghetti Engineering has already done the Camaros then stopped. Plain & simple....Their price was too high. As it will be if they try the same way on the Firebirds. IIRC, they tried for the Firebirds when they were looking at doing the Camaros & didn't do it then & I don't see it happening now either.

Good luck! I want LED boards for my GTA STS lights, but despite my inquiries with many companies & others asking the same thing as well as the numerous threads of people wanting them.....It has never happened. Some places did say things like "Sure! Send up $200 per order, minimum 10 orders & we will develop them & send them out." But nobody wanted to send their $ in on something that did not exist yet not knowing exactly what they were going to get.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM

I totally understand peoples doubt in things like this. Ive seen it happen in many different markets and its a PITA. Itd just be nice to try and keep any negativity to a minimum.

Hopefully people will post up their interest and what they would like to see in the end product and we can work from there.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Well, for the record I am very interested. I understand the reservations many people have. There are a bazillion great ideas without any results all over TGO. However, there are some good ideas that just need money, which is something the vast majority of this website do not have. The biggest issue is that people undervalue the R&D and labor that goes into projects like this. If you can get this project off the ground then you have my support and would be willing to buy one if you can get a decent prototype created.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
And therein lies the problem.....A company only looks at product development from a bottom line financial standpoint. "Can we make enough profit to make it worth our while to develop?" If the profit margin for them isn't high enough, for the standards, they won't bother doing it.
Regardless of your statement, a company has to say, at the minimum line, can we at least recoup our costs of making this product to sell to eventually pay for that R&D and then start making money.

THIS, is the problem. Thirdgen owners are cheap and want a Rolex made at china labour prices.

To own a surviving business is to NOT make a product for a LOSS.

People stupidly pay retarded amounts of money for the first playstation, ipod, iwtfever apple throws at you.

Large companies don't have to have consumer investment, they already have capitol to **** away in R&D. You pay for it regardless.

Hate to tell you, having a nice classic car, isn't a poor mans hobby.

Last edited by deadbird; 02-09-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM

Car: 87 z28 stock
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

Nothin like a good pissin match to douse the flame of ingenuity.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

I'm not looking for anything special. I really liked those "lingenfelter" ones on that youtube video, but without the wording. A nice screaming chicken logo would look good in that spot or leave it blacked out.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Just to be clear, these are light kits, not complete housing kits.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Originally Posted by deadbird
Regardless of your statement, a company has to say, at the minimum line, can we at least recoup our costs of making this product to sell to eventually pay for that R&D and then start making money.

THIS, is the problem. Thirdgen owners are cheap and want a Rolex made at china labour prices.

To own a surviving business is to NOT make a product for a LOSS.

People stupidly pay retarded amounts of money for the first playstation, ipod, iwtfever apple throws at you.

Large companies don't have to have consumer investment, they already have capitol to **** away in R&D. You pay for it regardless.

Hate to tell you, having a nice classic car, isn't a poor mans hobby.
The basic problem is that the company is most likely sourcing pretty much every component for these from China, for dirt cheap, and putting on serious markups.

I can see R&D being expensive, but actual production, out of Chinese components? Absolutely NOT. The sequential chips come from China (most integrated circuits do nowadays!) or somewhere near there. The LEDs more than likely come from China. Heck, the wiring and solder and what not probably comes from China as well. The Chinese make EVERYTHING for pennies on the dollar and the companies that sell the stuff get HUGE profits. Yes, I know a good number of us in this community are cheap. But why would we pay 2-3 times as much for something that we can make ourselves provided we had the circuit boards manufactured?

That's the biggest problem with these things. These companies come out with these "new" products a lot of people want but nobody can even think about affording because they want a minimum order at maximum cost. Look at all of the hoods, other LED lights (markers and what not), spoilers, and other body panels that have been introduced here. How many have actually been produced and sold? Next to none, because the price points are ridiculous, and, most times, the quality is ****-poor (new repro sheet metal, the Bird Ram Air hood, etc) because Chinese quality controls are non-existant (I should know as I had to replace some bearings in a 5-month old Chinese made bicycle that NEVER should have failed and have gone through a few cheaply remanned MAF sensors). People will start buying these things when a company can prove they're not going to rip us off in the process.

So, is it a good idea? For those who may want them (as I do), yes. Will they sell? Probably not, with the (more than likely) bad quality and high price. Bottom line is that IF they get made, they probably won't sell, just like the Camaro lights, be discontinued, and then nobody will ever make them again until there is enough PROVEN interest that they are willing to make the sacrifice.

I believe that, as a community, we're looking to upgrade to newer stuff, HID lights, LED markers and tail lamps, etc. But, we're not looking to have to replace them constantly because of shoddy manufacturing, especially if they're as expensive as some of these things are being sold for. That's where the basic problem lies. We want to do it right the first time and have it work for as long as we want or need it to, not to have to replace the lights/hood/metal/etc every couple of years at a ridiculous cost to ourselves.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Bump, still looking for input on these. Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Car: '89 Formula Firebird
Engine: LSX-451 / 705HP
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser Ford 9" with 4.30

willing to buy, (If ever made).
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1967 Firebird P.T.
Engine: LS3 4" Strkr 422ci
Transmission: MN12 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 8.5" 10 Bolt Eaton

im willing to buy a 91/92 2 piece tail light set of quality design for $475.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Adrenaline1
Bump, still looking for input on these. Thanks
Specifically what kind of input are you looking for?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Anythign as far as what youd like to see in the product.

On another note, i found another company who is making them for firebirds and will have them for sale shortly. The prices are pretty good (imo) and there is also a discount for a group buy. The owner asked me to post up the info and see who is interested in them. This is a sure thing as he already has them done and is just doing finish work on the units.

I will still be keeping in contact with spaghetti on their tail lights as long as they show interest in making them. If they stop communication it ends there as far as any involvment i have goes.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1967 Firebird P.T.
Engine: LS3 4" Strkr 422ci
Transmission: MN12 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 8.5" 10 Bolt Eaton

^^^ does he have 91/92 lights? i understand im in a small group wanting them but it'd be nice to see some made. it was hard enough finding a nice set of OEM 2 piece lights, now its like a needle in needle stack to find some LED type.

at this rate im gonna make my own.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM

If i recall correctly he does.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

I am very interested. As with 88FormulaKiller, I am only interested in the '91-92 Trans Am taillights not the regular Firebird tails. Has your source mentioned a price range or time frame for completion? If its reasonable I'm in.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Ill have all the info up later today if all goes well.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M MegaShifter
Axle/Gears: Gear Ratio: 2.73 Ring Gear: 7 5/8

Adrenaline1 - Where did this thread vanish off too? Do you have any new info or taillight options?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Spaghetti actually hasnt been keeping in contact with me so im working with someone else who is actually releasing a bunch of styles for the different housings and stuff. You can hit me up via PM if youd like or i can find the link to my other thread.

EDIT: Heres the link - https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...bird-tail.html
Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Bump
Old 09-03-2016, 01:35 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block

Originally Posted by KITT1983
Bump
More like resurrection. Its starting to become evident that we are now dealing in classic cars now.... parts are harder to find new, and the reproduction people do not favor the 80's for some reason.... sigh