Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Has anyone ever thought of this??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of this??????

Getting the rear center filler plate between the 2 taillights to light the Firebird up. I would like to be able to get this to work b/c I will be installing a full one piece blackout on my taillights here in a couple of months & would like to be able to figure out how to do this. When I hit the brakes I would like that Bird to light up. Am I the only crazy one?

------------------
- Mike Harvey -
1986 Firebird S/E
Old 01-07-2001, 03:05 PM

Car: '92 Typhoon/ '79 Vette
Engine: Turbo 4.3L/Forged 355ci
Transmission: 4l60/th350
that would look really sweet but it would be a hug pain to do. i say go for it then sell one to me

------------------
1985 WS6 Trans AM
glass T-tops
bone stock sloth of an engine LG4
T-5 tranny. thank god, i couldnt stand an LG4 auto.
Plans for an LT-1 or LT-4,
also plans for dual flowmaster exaust.

Got a corvette when i was 16, paid for it myself, screwed the engine up (idiot light didnt work, and i trusted the guy when he said he just changed the oil), and it turned into a project car.
now my TA is my daily driver. not a bad one, but it needs to be faster.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

been there, half done it,
Its a Pita.
I did the pontiac part,
Ill get a pic of it once i finish the bird,
Gonna light it up with mebe a 6 inch neon, maybe make it so the bird lights up red, but the pontiac green.

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
Old 01-11-2001, 03:32 PM

I've been mentally planning this for quite some time. I was planning on having a bulb back there full time like a liscence plate bulb. I got this idea from the Sunfire. What I originally invisioned was getting the red "bird" (I have silver) from the junkyard or dealer, so when the tailights were on my "bird" would be on as well. Haven't torn into it yet but the one time I did take all of the tail lights out, there was enough room. Now, to keep the bulb centered and far enough away from the plastic to keep it from melting, I suggest drilling a hole through the sheet metal directly behind the piece. This way the socket stays secure and the bulb illuminates properly.

Back to that red "bird". The dealer wanted $75 for it and it is nearly impossible to find one in the junkyard in GOOD shape. They are off of the 90? or 91-92 birds.

Instead of replacing the silver "bird" (which I like the looks of better) I've opted to use that red tail light tape on the inside. So in the daytime it stays silver but at night the light coming through is red.

The piece is clear plastic painted black from the inside. If you hold the piece up to the light you'll see what I mean. I noticed this when I had two ugly spots from where the black paint was peeling away. I sanded the spots down and repainted the inside. Looks brand new now.
Old 01-11-2001, 04:41 PM

Right on, you have given me tons of ideas now. Check this out, I will have one main advantage over you guys unless you want to do this as well.
Since I will be doing the KITT conversion I wnated to get the one piece blackout lense so it would cover over. So it doesn't matter how many holes or drill marks I have on the center panel b/c I will have blackouts cover them. & if that doesn't work I've got a spare center filler panel to work on so I don't ruin my get set & I also have 1982 T/A rear tail assembly as well. So I will soon see which one would work the best.
Also what type of light would we use, mounting brackets, power wire guage, grounded where, & would we run this to a toggle switch or the fuse box or what? Now we are getting really tehnical now.

------------------
- Mike Harvey -
1986 Firebird S/E
Old 01-16-2001, 02:12 PM

Take a look at the space directly behind the center piece right under the tumbler for the hatch lock. There should be plenty of space.

What I did was go to a junk yard and cut off the small bulb socket and wires from a Firebird. It could be any car really. Using this, splice into the existing tail light wiring. No need to run a toggle or mess with a ground. The only worry you should have is the diameter of the hole to drill and where to place it. I should take some pics and send them to you when the weather breaks and I get the bug to start in on my bird.

------------------
89 Formula 305 TBI
160* stat, 200* fan switch, K&N, Headers, 3in Flowmaster (hollow cat) back, pullies, 1.6 full roller rockers, B&M trans cooler, home-made ram-air
3.73 Richmond gears and SLP Zexel Torsen Posi (waiting for install)
Old 01-16-2001, 03:59 PM

Sounds good bro. You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near Northern CA would you? Send those pics when you can. THanx

------------------
- Mike Harvey -
1986 Firebird S/E
Old 01-16-2001, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Waah wah wah, fine fine,
im on it,
Okay, what he said is good, and im totally with him on it, CCCEeepppppttt, okay, what he said was ****** a 194-A socket (from pep boys if youd like) now strip a little of one of the other lines that run to another bulb, wrap around, Tape it, then, !SECOND PART!
Okay, noowwwww, youve got a CLear firebird, and a Red bulb, okay, its gonna look like crap unless you have something to disperse, and hold the socket to the firechicken, so im gonna go outside and mess round with it, freeze my ballz off, etc etc. ill post once done.

Old 01-17-2001, 08:27 AM

I agree. Just about all red bulb applications in general look like smack. They don't produce enough illumination.

I guess I'll need to go in-depth. The bulb/socket I removed was from the tailights. If you notice, there is a small ridge around the socket, that, if fitted to the correct size hole, would fit snugly and would not move around. The best place for this hole is behind the center piece (obviously) below or above (I forget) the rear hatch lock.

Now, the red bulb never entered my mind. What did, was to place red tailight tape on the inside of the plastic piece. To do this would involve scraping away the paint on the bird section only. Now you should see the difficulty with this idea. How do you remove the paint without making the whole thing look janky? This is why I thought about getting a red piece. But even then, you still have to deal with the black painty that covers the inside.

To answer your question, I'm near St Louis MO and I haven't really torn into mine yet.

------------------
89 Formula 305 TBI
160* stat, 200* fan switch, K&N, Headers, 3in Flowmaster (hollow cat) back, pullies, 1.6 full roller rockers, B&M trans cooler, home-made ram-air
3.73 Richmond gears and SLP Zexel Torsen Posi (waiting for install)
Old 01-17-2001, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Hey RGZ,
Couldnt put it better, THe PAINT IS A PIIITTTAAAA
(pain the **** for those without imagination)
Anyways
Ok, tell me whatcha think of this, remove ALL That black stuffff, that take another one of those firebird decals from a store, the ones with just to outline, place it, with some sticker letters, ok.
Now Spray paint, (LoL, i just started using spraypaint for the first time, amazing stuff) and then once dry, remove stickers,

Whatcha think man?
Old 01-17-2001, 09:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
A few problems with that... The turkey outlines are solid, not an outline. You'd have to hand cut the decal to make it work. Also it'd be a mirror image since it'd be on the inside of the plastic. Also the same goes for the lettering, you'd need to find the right font, right size, and in mirror image.

Good luck, and stay creative.

------------------
Drew
The lone Thirdgenner of the Apocalypse
predatorman@hotmail.com
My Website
87 Iroc
91 Formula 14.3@98mph
91 RS Convertible
91 Firebird V6
92 S10
98 Grand Am GT
Old 01-17-2001, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

ok, why cant you cuustomize it, you use your own letters, and do you think its possible to scan it into computer and mess wit it there,

ok, on witda show,
i took a box, small, and curtosy of ups, and cut it in half, then took a little off the open end, then on the inside, i ghetto rigged, chrome paint, then duct taped the open end to the back of the center piece. then put the light bulb socket into it, and throw in the red bulb,

sorry, im frozen, its not bad lookin, ill try and get pic, and i need a krypton cause it looks magenta,

okiedokie,

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
Old 01-27-2001, 09:57 AM

a company somewhere makes a rear taillight assembly that say "pontiac" in the middle and it lights up. looks alot like a rear taillighjt assembly off a fiero GT