Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

this gosh darn rattle sqeak what ever u wana call it!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this gosh darn rattle sqeak what ever u wana call it!!

ok i have this annoying rattle sound everyonce in awhile. it sounds like my windshield but someone that was riding with me said it sounded like under the hood or the hood. i know 3rd gens are notorious for this but i put the sc's on and it didnt help. when it gets warm out it doesnt seem to do it as bad. whats the deal?i cant stand it anymore!! makes my car seem cheap but all the work i have done to it it isnt to cheap to me just ask my gf and my check book lol.
any help t this would be great i had the place that i got the new windshield from check to see if it was loose but they didnt seem to think so so i cant figure it out help!!

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter, march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it)
best 1/4 mile run of 14.44@ 96.53
this run is before the new exhaust system
Old 02-28-2001, 03:24 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. My dash pad kinda rattles on the highway, but only when it's cold. It goes away for a bit if I snug the dash pad screws, but didn't really go away until I got a set of tires that actually came perfectly round. hehe
Old 02-28-2001, 06:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
I did several things: I removed the dash pad and tighted every bolt head in sight, put felt in the air con duct connections, and used white grease where the dash pad makes contact. I sprayed silicon where the windshield meets the dash. I might try this first--I sprayed silicon around the entire bottom of the windshield from outside the car (raise the hood to do this and soak it). Problems vanished. As an afterthought, tightening all kickpanels, bezels, etc. couldn't hurt.

JamesC

------------------
Old 02-28-2001, 02:12 PM

hey thanks guys i will try it.. oh by the way james i got the drive shaft today.

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light a pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter, march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it)
best 1/4 mile run of 14.44@ 96.53
this run is before the new exhaust system
Old 02-28-2001, 03:18 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I haven't paid any attention to the hood support locations on my Camaro, however, I have the same problem on my Olds 442. It sound like a thunk rather than a rattle in the middle of the dash at the windshield area. I have been told that on that car, there is a hood support that needs some lithium grease. There is a hood support there on the Olds and it's dry. I will either adjust it down a bit, or just add the grease. If the Camaro has the same hood support, try readjusting it down a hair and add grease to it so the hood doesn't stick to it. One more thing to remember, if you start tearing into the dash and tighten everything up, you will add rattles. A looser screw allows for movement. If you overtighten, there will be no movement or flex available. I did this years ago on the black metal trim inside the T-Top opening. I tightened all the screws and I had squeaks coming from that area until I loosened 'em up a little.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
www.users.uswest.net/~smoyer/iroc.htm
Old 03-03-2001, 03:03 PM

Just a long shot but if nothing else works, I had a problem with a dash rattle and I could not figure out where it was coming from no matter how hard I looked. It finally turned out to be a loose bolt on the antenna support and I only found out it was that after I was running some wires through that area and happened to notice it.