Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

REAR BUMPER SHAVE

Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: REAR BUMPER SHAVE

Originally Posted by 86_irocz-28
in for an update

Alright, so i promised a painted bumper after the holidays. The motor started to take some presidence. I am trying to get it painted and roughly assembled, then i will finnish the rear bumper. One of the reasons im waiting is im still tweaking some imperfections i dont completly like. I do think I know what to do now tho. Sometimes you have to stop and just stare at it for a few days to see what it wants. I hope to get this in some paint within the month tho. Thanks for asking tho! its nice to have people interested in it.

sorry its taking so long.

Ken
Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 PM

so, I thought I would post an update that there is no update.....LOL yeah OK that was mean. I am totally finishing this, well the whole car really. That is why this is taking more time. I am currently trying to get the motor back in and running so I can get back on the body work. With the winter here, and the car on stands with the rear against the garage door, I cant work on it till I get her back on the ground. I need to get the motor all done anyway first. So rough time line... I hope to drop the motor in this weekend and would like to have it running. Since I have pulled a 85 305 TPI motor out and putting in a 89 350 TPI in, I am confident that this will NOT be smooth. so for sure its going to be in the car this week, not for sure it will be running. So I will need time to work that out, hopefully that isn't more than a week. That being typed.. I am guessing that I should have the bumper in its test coat of paint before we are out of February. So that is the update thus far, just didn't want to keep you guys hangin wondering what is up. thanks for all the comments !!!

Ken
Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice and systematic work, looking forward to seeing it painted.

Claus
Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 PM

Ken, maybe your next project is the one in my Picture

Something Ive thought about for a while but will never have time to (and I dont even have a Camaro)

Claus
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-camaroclone.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clausoe
Ken, maybe your next project is the one in my Picture

Something Ive thought about for a while but will never have time to (and I dont even have a Camaro)

Claus
hey i like that! love how it transitions from old to new. did you draw that?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by KBD85
hey i like that! love how it transitions from old to new. did you draw that?
Yes, the scetch is of a random Third gen with newer style lighting and grill in the front. The purpose was to see if it would look good with the opening one would get if you cut away the centre piece between the original headlight openings and used the hood line as the top of the opening and the bottom line would be at the same level as the bottom of the Stock headlight openings. I did however on the scetch make the front of the hood line slightly pointed, maybe half an inch to an inch at the middle, so that would be metal work. But the interesting thing is that the scetch outline is traced from a picture to get the dimensions correct and I think it looks ok.

I had this idea a few years back but put it aside since I ended up buying a Firebird. But reading your thread it kind of inspired me because the plastic work would be similar when it comes to method.

Now when I thought about this I didnt plan on using original newer style grill and lights because i dont know if they would fit. I thought i would find lights that had the right appearance and fabricate the grill maybe from aluminium.

Well since I dont have a Camaro i thought i could just as well send the idea out there and maybe inspire someone else.

Anyway I really enjoy looking at the fabrication you are doing, you have a really good eye for ideas and details, getting the lines correct and so on so the end product looks really good - and solid- Good job

Claus
Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Yes, the scetch is of a random Third gen with newer style lighting and grill in the front. The purpose was to see if it would look good with the opening one would get if you cut away the centre piece between the original headlight openings and used the hood line as the top of the opening and the bottom line would be at the same level as the bottom of the Stock headlight openings. I did however on the scetch make the front of the hood line slightly pointed, maybe half an inch to an inch at the middle, so that would be metal work. But the interesting thing is that the scetch outline is traced from a picture to get the dimensions correct and I think it looks ok.

I had this idea a few years back but put it aside since I ended up buying a Firebird. But reading your thread it kind of inspired me because the plastic work would be similar when it comes to method.

Now when I thought about this I didnt plan on using original newer style grill and lights because i dont know if they would fit. I thought i would find lights that had the right appearance and fabricate the grill maybe from aluminium.

Well since I dont have a Camaro i thought i could just as well send the idea out there and maybe inspire someone else.

Anyway I really enjoy looking at the fabrication you are doing, you have a really good eye for ideas and details, getting the lines correct and so on so the end product looks really good - and solid- Good job

Claus
thanks so much for the kind words! I do realy enjoy this kind of work. I would love to see that done by someone, but like you I too am a firebird dude. If a camaro fell in my lap I would have to try it tho I think. and for the grill. now a day with 3D printers, you can prety much make what ever grill you want. I dont know if you looked at my front bumper modification thread, but that is what i did there. I printed that grill after designing it in SolidWorks.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Yes I did see it but I missed the part about the 3D printer, good idea! I use solidworks at work but have never had access to a 3D printer. I will see if I can get access to a printer, theres alot of things I could have made that way, I just havent really thought about it since my job is mainly designing metal parts for machining.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z28
Engine: L98 - 350 TPI
Transmission: MD8 - 700R4
Axle/Gears: GH3/G80 - 2.77 POSI
Ken, maybe your next project is the one in my Picture Something Ive thought about for a while but will never have time to (and I dont even have a Camaro) Claus
Please don't.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM

LMAO!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Car: 1988 Iroq Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi

This is my 89 camaro with the notchback and ZR1 lights on it, Ive had this car since I was 14 so she is gonna get modded a ton I want people to look at it and think what is it Anyways after reading your post I may get another bumper and shave it or just build a sheet metal pan to flatten the back nd make it more of a vette style. Either route I go You definitely inspired me on this. I'm guessing ill take it down flush with the taillight assembly. Another subscription from me You definitely have the talent to make your visions come true awesome.
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Thanks so much for the compliments!! It's been fun. I'm finally ready to finish this rear bumper. Winter came and it got put on hold. It's still cool, but almost ready I can feel it.

Last edited by KBD85; 04-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM

OMG it has beed a long long winter!!!! i have finaly got back on this rear bumper project. I hope to paint it this week and put a "FINNISHED" on this thread! I will post finnished painted pics of it on a un finnished painted car. All pics after that will be posted on my complete build thread which im sure is going to go for a long long time! hehehe. anyway, here is a shot of her in epoxy primer. after it dries it will get blocked and painted.
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z090.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Well, it was a nice day yesterday!!! so i had to enjoy it by painting my bumper. It is all done!! here are the pics of it panited. I will take some pics of it on the car tonight. Kind of excited how it will look. Then its time to get the whole car ready for paint!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 AM

OOPS! i guess you cant attach pics to a "quick reply" here they are.
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z091.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z092.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z093.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM

Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

Really came out nice, love the look.
I'd love to come see it in person!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Keoman
Really came out nice, love the look.
I'd love to come see it in person!
thanks! ill probably paint it one more time when i do the whole car. but its realy close now.

and your welcome to come by anytime you want!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Car: 84 Firebird
Engine: currently 1968 307
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 lim slip

Like the look of this and man, you have done a ton of work!!! Waiting to see pics of the final install.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Interesting, indeed. For some reason when combined with the high-rise spoiler it just keeps reminding me of a fiero lol.

Did you put any kind of an impact bar behind it? I'm just wondering what happens/takes the damage if you get any sort of fender-bender. From a glance it looks like even a slow impact is going to crack/damage your taillights.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
Interesting, indeed. For some reason when combined with the high-rise spoiler it just keeps reminding me of a fiero lol.

Did you put any kind of an impact bar behind it? I'm just wondering what happens/takes the damage if you get any sort of fender-bender. From a glance it looks like even a slow impact is going to crack/damage your taillights.

LOL, yeah i need to swap that deck lid out. its not the one im using, i just havnt taken it off yet. and as far as the impact, you cant use the factory one. I am putting some angle iron attached to some plates that will mount to the existing holes. I am waiting till i get this all secured becouse i want to use the new impact bar as a bit of a support for the cover. I hope to have the new impact bar flush with the inside of the cover. (i hope that made scence??)

as far as stopping the tailights from getting bumped, probably way worse of as it is.

The plan is to put this on tonight and push the car out for some pics. will try to get some realy good angles for a good view of it. I wish the car was painted, but we will have to see how it looks on a cruddy painted car for the moment. I hope to have the exterior of this car painted before summer is out.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Originally Posted by KBD85
LOL, yeah i need to swap that deck lid out. its not the one im using, i just havnt taken it off yet. and as far as the impact, you cant use the factory one. I am putting some angle iron attached to some plates that will mount to the existing holes. I am waiting till i get this all secured becouse i want to use the new impact bar as a bit of a support for the cover. I hope to have the new impact bar flush with the inside of the cover. (i hope that made scence??)

as far as stopping the tailights from getting bumped, probably way worse of as it is.

The plan is to put this on tonight and push the car out for some pics. will try to get some realy good angles for a good view of it. I wish the car was painted, but we will have to see how it looks on a cruddy painted car for the moment. I hope to have the exterior of this car painted before summer is out.
Yup, I'm tracking with ya. Cool, interested to see the finished product!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM

FINALY!!! a bunch of pics of the cover done and on the car. I must add that this build was way harder than the front bumper cover. It looks simple enough, but it so wasnt!! anyway, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z101.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z102.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z103.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

pic batch 2
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z104.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z105.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z106.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM

pic batch 3
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z107.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z108.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z109.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM

pic batch 4
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z110.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z111.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z112.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM

pic batch 5
Attached Thumbnails REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z113.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z114.jpg   REAR BUMPER SHAVE-z115.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM

I will show the rear impact bar and how its going to fit and support the cover. BUT it will be on my build thread instead of this one. The rest of the front bumper and rear bumper will now be tied into the "subtle change the rebuild" thread as it will all be coming together eventualy.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...e-rebuild.html
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Car: 84 TA / 89 Formula
Engine: LS1 / L03
Transmission: T56 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.27

think it looks like a fiero now that's not a bad thing tho.. just not sure how i like the appearance but it definitely looks to be excellent work once again. well, to me anyways
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ownor
think it looks like a fiero now that's not a bad thing tho.. just not sure how i like the appearance but it definitely looks to be excellent work once again. well, to me anyways
oh yeah, there is definatly a taste for everyone. and I dont mind oppinions at all! glad to just show people what it would look like. I so need to loose the camaro deck lid and work on the new one! Thanks for the coments tho!!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Car: Pontiac 89 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI 5.7L V8

What with the green tape? Are you cutting out this section of the panel?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by carattini
What with the green tape? Are you cutting out this section of the panel?
yeah I was just looking at things. that was kind of an idea. not sure what im going to do there. probably leave it for now. Was just thinking about how to minimize the massive sail panel. I dont know.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Car: 92 camaro
Engine: 5.7l 350
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 2.73

wow this is sweet
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 firebird
Engine: TBI 305 (built)
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Looks great dude ... when u gonna do mine ? Lol ... now u just need my spoiler on it haha

91' bird 305 TBI T-5, trick flow heads, 4.10 gears, full UMI setup, track times coming soon!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1991sleeper
Looks great dude ... when u gonna do mine ? Lol ... now u just need my spoiler on it haha

91' bird 305 TBI T-5, trick flow heads, 4.10 gears, full UMI setup, track times coming soon!
yes i need something! i think the spoiler is begging to be custom. simple, maybe flat. not too high. I dont know i will have to mess around a bit.