Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Huge project coming up, several questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z Camaro 'Vert.
Engine: 350, ZZ4 motor
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 ... for now.
Huge project coming up, several questions.

Hello all.

I've been searching and reading on this forum for a lot of the info I know I will be needing here soon, since I'm going to be utterly tearing down my '89 Camaro 'Vert and then building it back up. While a lot of information has been provided, there are still things I am shaky on since, to be honest, I've never conducted a project on this scale before.

The car is currently completely together and runs. It is sitting in my dad's front yard, ready for me to get to work tomorrow. My main worry at the moment is to start tearing it down in the "wrong" order. I'd like to get it to just the carriage and somehow put a good base coat of paint down. Is there a best way to do this? Any tips and things to NOT do?

My goal tomorrow is to get the front bumper and clip off, and strip the interior. Next week I'll see how much of the engine can come off and hopefully get that back out of there, while dropping the trans and the rear end as well.

I'll utilize this thread as I go along and new questions arise, because I know I'm going to have a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip
Re: Huge project coming up, several questions.

If it were me I would tell you to take all of the video you can when you tear it down and go out and buy ziploc bags and labeal every bag with what you put in it door bolts-hood bolts Ect..and never throw anything away until you are 100% done with the car because you never know when you will need a clip or special bolt
Old 11-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mirror Image
If it were me I would tell you to take all of the video you can when you tear it down and go out and buy ziploc bags and labeal every bag with what you put in it door bolts-hood bolts Ect..and never throw anything away until you are 100% done with the car because you never know when you will need a clip or special bolt
I'm on that like white on rice, friend, lol. I plan on taking pictures of just about everything, even though it isn't going back together nearly the same way.

I'm unsure of the body panels, though. I've never messed with anything like that. Do the rear quarter fenders even come off conventionally?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by oH HorizoN
I'm on that like white on rice, friend, lol. I plan on taking pictures of just about everything, even though it isn't going back together nearly the same way.

I'm unsure of the body panels, though. I've never messed with anything like that. Do the rear quarter fenders even come off conventionally?
No they are welded on the palels are not that bad on thirdgen cars just take the time and line it all up and always start with the doors line them up first you should have a gap close to 3/16 then move on to the fenders then hood and front bumper and you may have to go back and forth with the hood and fenders and bumper to get them just right I just finished up a 89 Iroc convertible last year it turned out real nice Ill post a photo
Attached Thumbnails Huge project coming up, several questions.-photo-4.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the tip!

That is kinda bad news, though... because my passenger side rear fender has a crimp it in from when I got rear ended, right at the apex of the wheel arch. Damn.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by oH HorizoN
Thanks for the tip!

That is kinda bad news, though... because my passenger side rear fender has a crimp it in from when I got rear ended, right at the apex of the wheel arch. Damn.
Sad but true that is were it all starts if you want to PM me photos I can help along the way