Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

What are people using for anti-theft? Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
HOE jack, I mean Low Jack. Dont they have some kind of tracking system in them like a Global Positioning System? So even if they do steal you car you can track them down and beat the krap out of them.

------------------
89 Formula Firebird
Red with T-tops
5.0 305 FI
Soon to be a 400sb.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to have a security system like in Tommorow Never Dies. Whenever you touched the car, it would shock you. Sledge hammers could not break the glass. I saw this website, where they would bulletproof your car for 98 grand. I think i heard that Lojack cost around seven hundred dollars, but not sure.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:31 PM

I wonder if you could put a kill switch somewhere in the Cigarette holder in the roof counsole of the Iroc's? it would be hidden, may not think to look there. Also what else can/do you put in there?

------------------
no car, just savin for a fbody, i am 16 not to much money, I am shooting for a late 80's early 90's 350, iroc or z28.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Banned

Hey guys, I know it has been a while since anyone has used the board but here goes. You guys are all talking about all these different kinds of "kill switches" that use toggle swith(es). If I were to do something like this, would I have to flip the toggle swith before I start the car each time? I mean is the car always dead until that swith is flipped or what? (and you are the only one who know where that switch is) Or is this swith combined with an alarm system?

I've been looking into getting some kind of DEI alarm soon. I don't know which one yet but that doesn't matter- I've also read up on all the ways to do a quality install. My question is this: most of these new alarm systems come with a "starter kill" feature. Now if I get a system with this feature, what is the point of getting another killing divice- like a "toggle kill switch?" Why don't you guys just go easy on yourself and get the kill feature along with the alarm/keyless entry? ENLIGHTEN ME! -89IRO
Old 03-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, and is there a timer on alarms from when the alarm is activated, to when the "starter kill" actually kills the starter? Because say I activate the alarm in my own driveway, that isn't going to automatically kill the car is it? Oh and, once the car is killed, how do you reset it so the starter works again? Would I need to disconnect the battery or can I reset it from the remote? -89IRO

Last edited by 89IRO; 03-01-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:44 AM

the more killswitches/etc your car has, the less likely a thief will find them all. the better hidden they are, the harder they are to find, also. and yes, theoretically, you're the only one that knows about them. but the average person who gets a killswitch puts it either under the dash or the driver's seat, so creativity is the key to making them effective. I personally like the magnetic switch idea, maybe tied to the ignition. shaved handles *look* nice but can be gotten around....

Idea: if you shave the door handles, mount the manual switches in the locking rear glove box. open the trunk, open the glove box, then open the doors. safe and secure place for it, plus there's zero chance of road hazards bumping the switches. just don't lock your keys in the car
Old 03-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Banned

Thanks chymos- anyone else to answer my questions? Thanks. -89IRO
Old 03-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

I think the VATS system is a sure way to keep the amateurs from taking your car on a joyride. I dunno why people disable it. First you need the right key to start the car. With the wrong key the motor won't even crank. And if you try to start it with a screwdriver or whatever, it will crank but the injectors will not pulse. And forget about trying to mess with the module. It's hidden way inside the dash for a good reason.
Old 03-01-2003, 04:04 PM

Car: '86 IROC
Engine: 305 LG4 awaiting the crate Vortec 350
i didn't read through the whole thing but if someone already suggested this sorry:
have an NRA sticker somewhere visible and then just scatter some shotgun shells in the passenger seat and it should for sure scare any kind of thief
Old 03-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

Opinions on AutoPage products? Got quoted for $179 installed today on the AutoPage 2600. -89IRO
Old 03-03-2003, 03:56 AM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5
Fuel pump and ignition cut-off, hidden of course... soon i'm gonna install an alarm
Old 03-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Banned

What does everyone think about Autopage? Got quoted for $179 for the 2600 model. -89IRO
Old 03-03-2003, 04:43 PM

Anyone know a link to a taser system? Anyone think it would ark and fry something, persay, the stereo its guarding?
The kill switch is a good idea, I had one in my 84Z where the factory cpu hookup was for the service computer when I swapt engines. I would like to hear of some ideas of kill switches that the passenger cant see me activating or de-activating, this way no one knows but me, the cruise control is an idea any others?

As to the NRA sticker, its on there but atleast in Jersey if you have spent shells around your car, the cops are gonna flip, and bring nothing but trouble...
Old 03-03-2003, 05:27 PM

I am putting in a kill switch right now in my 88 camaro. Instead of adding the switch in the ignition lines or to cut off the gas lines, I am splicing into the purple wire that goes to your gear stick (AUTOMATIC). If you remember automatic cars wont start unless in PARK or Neutral, so unless this momentary switch it pressed the car thinks that it isnt in Park. Im putting the switch under the carpet right infront of the seat by where it bolts to the car. It looks like the carpet is supposed to be that shape too. I might add in the laser idea later on. I think you could go and buy the two LEDs at radio shack, like a tv remote lights. then you just put the white LED in a dash then to have it create a closed circit you have to shine the red (other) light into the one in the dash.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:24 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
My car is on the lift most of the year. You'd need to break into my shop, figure out how to disengage my custom safety's on the lift, and lower the car.

This however is if I don't show up while your there, and I carry a Glock-17.

-- Joe
Old 03-04-2003, 06:25 PM

call me paranoid but what if you DO and ONLY have this "lojac" system what do you do if the person thats wanting to steal your car runs your plates off the internet gets your name addy phone etc etc and then gets the vin off the dash through the winshield on your car and then calls lojac and tells them that they bought the car from you and have it transferred to your name and tells them that they donot want the service and to cancel it as they cannot afford it and then changes the license plate?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by rockthedragon
call me paranoid but what if you DO and ONLY have this "lojac" system what do you do if the person thats wanting to steal your car runs your plates off the internet gets your name addy phone etc etc and then gets the vin off the dash through the winshield on your car and then calls lojac and tells them that they bought the car from you and have it transferred to your name and tells them that they donot want the service and to cancel it as they cannot afford it and then changes the license plate?
Lojack wouldnt just cancel the service by someone calling and and saying they bought the car...i think they are a little more secure than that. That would happen all of the time if indeed that was the case. Also, how would the thief know if you had the lojack system or not? Highly unlikely.

I also have a question. If one was to put a switch in the ignition line or the 'purple' wire that goes to the shifter, how would you get power to the switch when the car is off?

Also, if you do want to make something like what was mentioned above, where you have to depress the cigarette lighter, or turn on the lights, or push a defrost switch, or any of those things, how would you go about wiring that?

Last edited by joshp14; 03-04-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:10 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
buy a gun. mount it somewhere high with on eof those sensor light things, aim the gun at your window/door or just an area by the car. when teh sensor light goes off, have it somehow pull the trigger on the gun!!

or just buy a rotweiler and chain him up with enough room to run around by the car and teach him that if he kills anyone, he gets a treat.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:37 AM

I am totally surprised that what I am about to say hasn't been mentioned a ton of times!! There where three points I wanted to make:

First...Nowadays VATS is BS. Yes, it is true all you have to do is cross two wires, and it is officially bypassed. Don't argue with me on this. When i had my car alarm installed with remote start, the owner of the shop mentioned he would have to bypass my VATS so it could start the car without the key inserted. I was a little apprehensive about having my all-theif detering VATS disabled. But he assured me that it would only be disabled when the car was remote started. Then he said it doesn't matter anyway, you only have to cross two wires.

Second...Kill two birds with one stone. Get an alarm. Get a good one. Like the Millinium Max Remote start pager alarm. What does that mean? One bonus: built in starter kill. Until you give the signal to disarm from the handheld pager, the car wont start. Second, the code can't be scanned or broken, it's scrambled and encrytped. They couldn't even get the signal if they scanned your handheld when you disarmed the car.

Next...What if you don't hear the alarm? What if you are watching a movie? This is where the pager comes in. When your car's alarm goes off, so does the pager. Within a mile radius. That is the size of most malls I go to. I haven't tested it further than that, but it will probably work farther. The handheld works from a 1/4 mile away and the antenna inside the car that transmits to the handheld is about 12 times bigger and longer. (hidden internal antenna, not external that can be broken off...to get to the internal one, they have to set the alarm off) Anyway, I get the signal, and come running ready to beat somebody for touching the car.

Still want some extra assurance? Rig up an extra kill switch or brake engage switch, whatever. And then hook it up to one of the accessory switches on the handheld. That means no switch to find in the car. You carry it with you.

This is your car. This is your car with the best protection around: Your own fist. Any questions?
Old 05-13-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
I just dropped a $hitload of cash on a viper alarm..i love it. Starter kill, remote start. It auto locks the doors for you when you arm it. I added a proximity sensor to that if you cross an invisible line..basically past the windows, it goes off..so if osmoene tries to pull back the window, it goes off. Kinda useful. I also added a siren inside the car..loud as hell. Hopefully it'll deter people. Also, two way alarms are great. Pages you if its going off, so you can "call the police"..aka, beat the crap outta the person trying to jack your car.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
I had a Clifford Solaris II on my last F-150. Starter, ignition kill, 150DB siren and a whole mess of other features. It can sense when the glass is broken and if the vehicle is being towed.

Thing is nothing is fool proof. But it's best to get the best for your money and be reasonably certain that only a pro can take your vehicle. I think as old as our cars are the biggest reason they are stolen is for joy riding.

Stay away from crap like the club and gimmicks like that. A friend of mine had his 2000 Acura Integra stolen with a similar alarm as the one mentioned above yesterday. So it can happen to anyone.

BTW the police found evidence that the vehicle was pulled out of its space buy either a tow truck or vehicle with a chain. An alarm will not stop anything like that.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Car: '86 IROC
Engine: 305 LG4 awaiting the crate Vortec 350
Well how about that pager alarm and that brake pedal dealie so they can't press the brake, therefore not getting the car in gear. but for me i don't even want anyone touching my car or gettin in it so that brake pedal contraption would probably scare off any theifs from attempting it. anyone know the name of this device? i've seen some infomercials on it but i can't remember the name. how about a website? :hail:
Old 05-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

Here's what i did.....

Limo tint so that can't see inside the car.....

Viper Alarm with vibration sensors up the WAZOO, you can't even steal my rims without setting off the vibration sensors.........

Shaved Door Handles.....

Bolted Stereo to brace behind the stereo...

Stock VATS (not much)
Old 05-13-2003, 10:46 AM

Car: 84 TransAM
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: TH350
i want a lot more than just an alarm making some noises in my car and a high pitched noise, here is what i have always dreamed of: 3 perimeter motion sensors, 2 machine guns, 4 gas lines, 400000 volts, high pitched noises, etc etc, you get the point, just something so that i can simply pull the guy out of the seat and keep enjoying my day. heheh. just something i have always wanted.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 AM

Gotta agree w/flyin low
Old 05-13-2003, 05:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
I don't think anyone suggested it yet, but this usually works quite well... what about a garage?

Hehe, anyway.... I know that on the 5 speed cars, they have the switch on the clutch that, unless activated (pressing the clutch) it will not let the motor turn over. Just turn it into a regular push button switch and hide it somewere. Under the horn of a Grant wheel would be cool... have to push the horn button (put the actual horn somewere else), hold it and crank it over.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:35 PM

The garage is a great idea....did you find a company that makes a portable one? ..dude..think about all the other times you leave your car..i feel mine is safest at home
Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
i just bought an Alpine 150-secR alarm, prox, shock, works great! i can even use 3 other buttons to do various things, such as putting the windows down, turning on the int lights, or whatever! its cool!
Old 05-14-2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted
Originally posted by Red Demon:
After that ground it to somewhere near the engine.. not the body.. many people do this and it's WRONG... all it takes is a small charge with 2 wires on the body to knock the system out.. so don't ground it to your body...
That is THE stupidest thing I have EVER heard !
Old 05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Banned

Car: '88 formula
Transmission: 700r4
GWHAHAHAHHA!! a lot of you people are saying the same things over and over again! try reading the whole thread! and yeah no one can prevent the car from being stolen if someone were really ever after it. BUT! most people stealing cars are amatuers. and when your a 19 year old kid living on his own, going to school full time, and does not have any living family for support. you cant buy these fancy a** alarms. and since i can only afford liability, im more worried about them bustin the freakin window. if its gonna happen its gunna happen. but HEY! anyone ever thought of putting A BOOT on their car?!?!? just thought of that right now...
Old 05-15-2003, 01:00 AM

THE CLUB anti-theft device. Accept no cheap imitations
Old 05-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Someone mentioned this on the first page but no one awnsered it,

What about the left lock the goes on the brake pedeal. Anybody have it. I want one for my car.

-JAWZ
Old 05-30-2003, 09:18 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: th700R4
I have the club... oh i got it for free and it has no keey! its just for looks lol
Old 05-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
The only reason I still have my formula was a missing part. Find a part that is easy to take off but something they will not have with them. Like the fuel pump relay, etc. A switch or cut off switch can be found easly and bypassed. The best bet is to do something that the car will turn over but not crank, TPI cars are real easy to make not crank. A professional is unfortantly just going to pull it up on a flat bed and drive off. 5 min tops.

WHen I use to have to park it in a really bad area, I had a bad control module I put in, and took the good one with me. I had it mounted to an old computer heat sink so all I had to do was unplug the bad one and plug up the good one. No really what crook carries a ignition control moduel with them. No one ever tried to still it when I did this, but I'm sure it would of worked.

The people that went after my car were not car ring pro's but they were pro's. They took 6 cars off of campus in 1 weekend, mostly corvetts, porshas(spell???), and other high dolar cars, I don't know why they wanted my formular, but oh well it just wouldn't crank.

They broke the steering lock and pushed in the starter switch. The doors although locked were not damaged, except for a scrape on the apiller, probably keyed it or something when it didn't crank. No glass was broken, and my t-tops were locked. They didn't even damage my seals. They did take my radio though, and cut the factory harness, I had an adapter. But they left two subs, and amp, a tool box (with about 1k of tools in it) I figure they didn't want the radio as much as they were just pissed it wouldn't crank..

But I can tell you this the guy had purple hair, and was losssing it, I found some when I was cleaning up the car, and putting the dash back togeter.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
I have a camera pointed at my driveway hooked up to a timelapse VCR and some monitors.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:33 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
i just lock my doors and stay the f*ck out of the ghetto!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:10 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z / 1992 Corvette
Engine: 305 TPI / LT1
Last July I caught a kid (20yrs old) TRYING to steal my car.
My brother has been living w\me & has a camera in my livingroom window (over looking the parking lot) to keep an eye on his HD. I was just waking up @5am & my brother is playing on his computer. He hears me open my bdrm door, looks at the camera's monitor and realizes it's not me getting into my car. He yells at me to grab my gun, as he runs out the door.
Outside he's yelling at the kid, who is still in my car. I go around to the passenger side, yell for him to get the F*** out of my car! The look on his face when he turned around & saw a gun pointed at his head was PRICELESS!
Needless to say, he spent a litte time in jail that day. He got 3yrs supervised probation. I really didn't want him going to prison, more that anything else I wanted him to realize how lucky he was that I didn't shoot him. The other guy, who ran off when he saw my brother & had priors (hardcore criminal) & was caught about 3 days later in another stolen car got 3 years in prison.
Now NO ONE goes anywhere near my car! Word travels fast around here!:sillylol:
Old 06-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi disc 9 bolt
All of these are some great ideas. Just pick one to fit your budget. I've used one for a few years now that has worked well...

...a crappy paint job.

I will have to get a real alarm though, as I plan to paint it next year.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:45 PM

Thought that would work for me, they still broke into my car for my system, it was in the car, but not hooked up, so no one heard it...
Old 06-01-2003, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know where I can pick up one of those steel steering column covers? Thanks in advance, Steve
Old 06-02-2003, 09:55 AM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: vortec 305 for now
Transmission: 5 speed
Grant makes a trick steering wheel that you simply take with you when you leave the car.
Personally, an AR-15 with night vision makes a great deterrent, especially when you light them up with the laser...(or so I've heard).
Old 06-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Corvette
Engine: 350 Tpi
Transmission: ZF 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3,33
Im thinking of putting my mother in law to watch my car, i wouldnt want to get in her way.:sillylol: :sillylol:
Old 06-03-2003, 07:15 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42s/posi/disc
lol

i have a base ball bat in the back of my car to teach them a lesson if i see any one messing with my car or geting ready to, lol a nice metal one i seriosly wouldnt think twice to beat soem one if they messed with my pride and joy eather.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:20 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: ......
Transmission: ......
Ive shaved the handles and locks off of my car. I use the Club everytime i park my car anywhere. Windows are all tinted to prevent seeing into the car. I also have an AutoPage alarm system, my transmitter doubles as a pager.It beeps like mad when the alarm is going off, lets me know if my car has been started, if the shock sensor has been tripped and if a door/hood/trunk has been opened.the system also has a single tone 190dB siren, with 4 pain generator located inside of the car. System also comes with an internal proximty alarm for if ive left my window open a crack, as well as tilt sensors if the vehicle is jacked up to a certain degree beyond its origional parking level. I also Have a secret hidden kill switch inside the car. When parked at my place it is monitored under a closed circuit time lapse security television.With a color TV linked directly into my bedroom. All this an a Louisville Aluminum Slugger beside my bed equal the best protection you can get! Beat this system would-be theives!!! This is why i believe i have the BEST security method so far!:hail:

Last edited by LowCamaro; 06-07-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:32 AM

Car: 86 firebird
Engine: v6
Transmission: 7004r
Originally posted by RenoLB8
I live in a college town where people aren't pros, mostly just vandals. My roomie's 95 Monte Carlo has been broken into, kicker box stolen, and exactly one year later, beaten horribly (hood bashed in, roof dented in about a full foot). I have the Bulldog, cheap-*** hardly makes a sound really system, $50 at Wal Mart, but comes with two little stickers that go right above my door locks, and noon has touched mine yet. Gonna have to try Tom's hidden switch though, that's awesome! Also, if you don't wash a thirdgen for a few weeks, no matter how nice it really is, old body style + dirt = must be a POS.

-Reno
I have the same one. Although i keep forgetting to put the stickers on. I love how mine says, "i've been tampered with! I've been tampers with!
Old 06-07-2003, 12:28 PM

I also have a drop top z-28. I use a theft deterrent system that I pay monthly. They are called State Farm. They protect me from vandels and thiefs. If someone steals my car, to hell with it. I can always buy another with the money they give me for letting them take it. Works Well.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by itsa91
I also have a drop top z-28. I use a theft deterrent system that I pay monthly. They are called State Farm. They protect me from vandels and thiefs. If someone steals my car, to hell with it. I can always buy another with the money they give me for letting them take it. Works Well.
Best idea so far!

And here's something you kill-switchaholics should try... rotary *****! Car turns on only if the **** is turned the correct direction. Kill-switch: hidden and one-in-two chance of turning it on correctly. Kill-****: hidden and one-in-2000 chance of turning it on correctly! (Well, depending on how thick the contact is.)

Kill-magnet-reed-****: uberhidden and ubersecure! :lala:
Old 06-07-2003, 05:31 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird 82k miles
Engine: 2.8 V-6 (173 c.i.)
I use a handgun and some good old fashioned "touch my car n' I'll kill ya" !!
Old 06-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

I just got my Autopage 2600 alarm installed a few days ago. I think it's autopage's cheapest alarm/keyless entry with a starter kill. It came with two remotes. I've noticed that if I am in front of the car, it doesn't have a very good range, but if I am standing in back of the car, it does have a good range? Does anyone know why it does this? Is there an antenna that can be moved to get maximum range in any direction? Overall though I am pretty happy with it. The alarm, along with a club (worthless, but it IS an extra thing for a thief to get through) and good all VATS and insurance, I think I have a system that can make me relax while I am at the mall or movie thieater. That's cool how some of you got cameras rigged up and all. Thanks for the help. -89IRO
Old 07-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 96 Silverado/99 Suburban
Engine: 700 cubic inches of 'Muican Awesome
Transmission: 4L80/4L60
Axle/Gears: Chunky/Clunky
Wow, I must say, I know you can never be too safe when it comes to protecting your beloved 3rdGen, but I have to say some people on here have come close to overkill. (no pun inteneded) One thing I know of that works, and really isn't that hard to do, and is FREE, is if you know you're going to be away from your car for a while, remove the igition coil wire. Just pops right off, and no matter what, unless you have spark plugs the car ain't movin'!! The dumb thief will think your car is busted. And like people have said, if they want your car, they'll take it. NO car is theft-free!!

And ohh yeah, I have the AutoPage system...and it HAS kept my car from being stolen. Thats all I have to say about it...

Quick Reply: What are people using for anti-theft? Recommendations?