Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Inner rocker (and floor) replacement with Subframe connectors installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Inner rocker (and floor) replacement with Subframe connectors installed?

I'm doing my inner rockers and full floor pans later this month. I installed BMR subframe connectors a few years ago.

How much of an issue am I going to have welding in the inner rocker and the portion of the floor pan that goes along the rocker?
Am I better off to take the time/mess of grinding the subframe connectors off?

This turned from me doing just the center of the under body to me pulling the entire car apart. I'll be pulling literally everything but the windshield and dash out of the car.
Decided I'll fix the one small rust spot on my drivers inner fender, re-locating where my LS swap harness enters the fire wall and re-organizing that harness to hide the wires as much as possible, and clean up/protect the underside rear of the car.

Is it worth my time to build a rotisserie like robguitargod1 did?

I'll be using epoxy primer and rubberized undercoat for the bottom of the car.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Shift Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Re: Inner rocker (and floor) replacement with Subframe connectors installed?

Originally Posted by WTR388
I'm doing my inner rockers and full floor pans later this month. I installed BMR subframe connectors a few years ago.

How much of an issue am I going to have welding in the inner rocker and the portion of the floor pan that goes along the rocker?
Am I better off to take the time/mess of grinding the subframe connectors off?

This turned from me doing just the center of the under body to me pulling the entire car apart. I'll be pulling literally everything but the windshield and dash out of the car.
Decided I'll fix the one small rust spot on my drivers inner fender, re-locating where my LS swap harness enters the fire wall and re-organizing that harness to hide the wires as much as possible, and clean up/protect the underside rear of the car.

Is it worth my time to build a rotisserie like robguitargod1 did?

I'll be using epoxy primer and rubberized undercoat for the bottom of the car.

I know this thread is old (sorry). Was curious how this ended up working out for you.

I have a few thirdgen projects with similar rot. Im concerned that they may be too far gone. Im not willing to give up on them quite yet though.