Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: looking at one
Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed

Ok, there are two cars I'm looking at, I've been looking and learning for about 3 weeks so I need the help of the experts on this board. My plan for the car is to drive it to work, for fun cruises, local road course a few times a year. Maybe within a year have a parts car to do a T56 swap and possibly upgrade rear differential to a Eaton or whatever. Drive it until the engine blows (which could be a long time) Then swap whatever engine I want in there. Good plan. I am mechanically capable and do almost all the work on my vehicles except anything that might need specialized tools, so working on a car doesn't scare me

If this isn't in the right place, please move it. I couldn't find a general discussion forum.

Both cars have G80, G92, J65, KC4, K34 options which I wanted.

One of the cars is a black 1989 IROC in Colorado Springs for $5500 with 84,000 miles that is on this forum's classified AD. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cama...c-350-g92.html

Is anyone close to him and able to check the car out for me?

The other one I'm looking at is a 1990 Blue Metallic IROC for $7200 with 72,000 miles. The interior is near perfect (leather/power everything which I don't really care for) except for one crack in the dash. I have seen it and it is pretty nice but a few things wrong with it that could cost me $$$. I feel I would be overpaying in this case, and I do not know if I would be in this case

Moving on to the "problems" identified.

1. AC not working, assume some $$$ will be needed to fix and convert to r134
2. Diff has a leak at the front seal. Not sure this too big of a deal since I may want to change it out later anyway but... I haven't looked at how hard this job might be
3. rear window and hood louvers are kinda discolored. looks ok from 10 ft.
4. Large amounts of flaking paint on the right side of the rear window that channels the water (pics). It is worse than it looks in the pictures, you can see the severity of it when the rear window is open. Also paint flaking on the hood where the rubber bumper touches it
5. A small scrape on the left front fender
6. random nose rock chips (to be expected)
7. Fuel gauge always reads full (think this could possibly be a easy fix, otherwise doesn't bother me, I'll just go off the miles)
8. Rim rash on the wheels
9. Fuel door rubs against the body when you open it, small paint chip there
10. Rear louvers rubbed against the top of the body wearing away the paint there, I assume it is easy to adjust this so it isnt touching the body.
11. Owner did not change brake fluid for at least 7 years and it's BLACK! I don't want expensive brake caliper replacement because of pitted caliper bore surface.
12. Coolant hasn't been changed in 7 years either.
13. He has only driven about 2,000 miles in 7 years, hence why he is selling it.
14. Paint is starting to oxidize on the roof (becoming white).
15. paint overspray is visible on the intake plastic near the front bumper of the car, indicating possibly been repainted

I drove it and it was a nice driving car. There has been some work done such as Southbay fuel injectors, fuel pump, water pump, Idle air valve, a few miscellaneous things (i think definitely repainted as there is a receipt for z28 decal stickers, that doesn't mean anything to me except the fact the paint is already falling off in a few places). So basically the worst part about this car is some areas of the paint and Air conditioning.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-right-side-exterior-shot.jpg   Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-rear-shot.jpg   Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-rear-window-area-paint   Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-rpo-code.jpg   Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-left-front-fender-scrape.jpeg  

Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-engine-bay.jpg   Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed-interior-shot.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 PM
eoj

Re: Looking at 2 Cars, Advice needed

I personally like the 89. Plus you would have an extra 1500 to blow on stuff.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:02 AM

The mileage is close enough to consider it the same as well as the year. All comes down to condition and the cost of repairs for things that need attention. The 90 you are paying for a few less miles and leather...if you dont care for leather then why pay for it. If both cars were in similar condition, which one would you take? Personally, like eoj said, I would take the 89, leaves more money in the jeans for "surprises".
Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again

Don't forget to compare the extent of rust damage... That is the hardest to fix. Check rear wheel wells bottom of door post under front fender and under carpet below pedal area both sides will have to check by flashlight and probing for weak spots
Old 04-14-2017, 07:14 AM

I completely agree, all in all I would take the 89 (if there's really no rust, the blue one has none), however that car is too far away from me for me to check out in person, so I need someone who knows someone in Colorado Springs to probe the car for me, drive it, listen for weird sounds etc. So, I think I'll also post a new thread in a regional forum for CO asking if any of the members can check it out.

I do like the rear louvers on that blue car though and I see it can be $400, but even after that I've got an extra $1000
Old 04-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by L98IrocBlue
2. Diff has a leak at the front seal. Not sure this too big of a deal since I may want to change it out later anyway but... I haven't looked at how hard this job might be
Not a hard job, start to finish is probably 2 hours if you have an impact gun. Cost is probably $20 with the seal and fluid.

3. rear window and hood louvers are kinda discolored. looks ok from 10 ft.
You can fix that with some of VHT's plastic paint or black plasti-dip. Both work well as I've used them on plastics with good results. Just stay away from dupli-color.

4. Large amounts of flaking paint on the right side of the rear window that channels the water (pics). It is worse than it looks in the pictures, you can see the severity of it when the rear window is open. Also paint flaking on the hood where the rubber bumper touches it
5. A small scrape on the left front fender
6. random nose rock chips (to be expected)

10. Rear louvers rubbed against the top of the body wearing away the paint there, I assume it is easy to adjust this so it isnt touching the body.

14. Paint is starting to oxidize on the roof (becoming white).
These are all items that would take a repaint to really correct. Touching up multiple spots all over the car on paint that may be original could cause you to end up with color differences. If you really would want a repaint then sand one spot down to find out how many times the car has been repainted (if ever) and if it's two or less coats of paint you can do a scuff and squirt. Do the prep work yourself and then take it to a painter to finish.

11. Owner did not change brake fluid for at least 7 years and it's BLACK! I don't want expensive brake caliper replacement because of pitted caliper bore surface.
12. Coolant hasn't been changed in 7 years either.
And most likely the owner prior to that didn't change it for that long either, if ever. Changing parts comes with owning older cars, no way around it.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

7. Fuel gauge always reads full (think this could possibly be a easy fix, otherwise doesn't bother me, I'll just go off the miles)
If you go to church at least twice a week it's probably just a loose ground wire. If you only go once a week it might be an unattached or broken ground wire. If you go less than that it's probably a bad fuel sender in which case you have to drop the tank and change the fuel sending unit which is a $150-200 part. At which time you ought to replace the fuel pump also for another $100. Sorry but my money is on the bad fuel sending unit, they do go out spontaneously or when you just touch the fuel tank.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Honestly, I'm not afraid of working on cars. I've done a ton of stuff on my cars (no camaros), which is a 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2005.

I typically do the fluid stuff anytime I get a new car, but I'm worried about corrosion since it's been in there so long. Jeez people! learn how to keep up with the fluid changes! Engine oil isn't the only danged thing a car needs

It's good to know a front seal on a diff can be done pretty easily.

I was on the fence about the Blue Iroc, but having had a couple days to let the idea rattle around in my head, it just seems it is priced too high for the work it will need ($300 for fuel pump/sending unit and me doing the labor, who knows how much for paint lets say 1500 for a cheap one which really should just be done right the first time, then the AC unit which could be simple low pressure switch, or a few hundred bucks for a new compressor and purge/refill)

After all that, the real price cost of the car in the first few months I own it would be around $8500.

I guess I will put that one on the back burner and see what else I can find (apart from the one in colorado)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Look into the craigslist ads for the Dallas Fort Worth area, Oklahoma City and Little Rock. You're bound to find one quickly. I would skip on the first one too. You could politely try to explain what needs fixed on the car and say that's why I'm comfortable offering $XXXX. I've tried that approach and most guys are just offended.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 AM

I have done some searches in cities of states around the perimeter of my state.

I just did some more searching to refresh my memory, and for any Irocs I have seen with approximately the same mileage, they're $10k - $15k (sometimes more) than the Blue Iroc I was looking at for $7200. What's up with that? Is this normal sticker price for sub 100k mile Irocs (10-15K dollars)?

The one in Colorado seems so cheap for what it is that there has to be something wrong with it (a deal that's too good to be true it seems), but if the seller is to be trusted then that would be a great deal.

Man this is hard when you don't want to let a good deal slip away, but don't want to buy something that might be nothing but trouble. I'm gonna find a way to get in direct contact with the guy from colorado tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good Easter!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

https://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/6090784598.html
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

The IROC ended in 1990 so that 1991 isn't an IROC, just a Z28. You should be able to find IROCs for less than $10K but it's your money and your call. I'd feel comfortable waiting. There is going to be a huge range that you will find IROCs in. Completely stock, maintained, good paint, nothing ripped/rusted/cracked and everything works will cost more but over $10K and needs to have low, low miles and over $15K we had better be talking car show ready and less than 30,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I love the 89 and earlier instruments.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77 Posi

I'm with Tootie Pang regarding the instruments in the pre 90 models. Also not a fan of the yellow lettering the the 90 & up models.

Good luck finding a nice Iroc here in OK. I just picked up another low mileage '88 5.7 Iroc in great condition. Had to go to TX to get it though! Selection might be better up there in T-town vs down here in central OK. All that ever seems to be posted on Craigslist here in central OK is junk, or someone else's half baked project they want to punt. Don't bother with that '87 Iroc listed in Edmond on CL. Needs paint and exhaust work. Would be a good one if the price is right. He's pretty proud of it though!

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Yeah, these are slim pickings in Oklahoma... I definitely noticed.

I also forgot to mention I'm only looking for a hardtop, I don't wanna deal with convertibles or T-tops. Absolute originality really isn't all too important to me, just good condition

Here are 2 examples from Colorado Springs: This is what I'm talking about with price. Seems ridiculously high IMO, but of course price on these have been on the uptrend for the past few years. examples include t-top and convertibles because I'm just looking for similar mileage and mostly stock cars for price comparisons

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6085769237.html T-top car

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/6058885681.html This is a hardtop almost exactly like the blue one I'm looking at (for$7200), priced at $14k

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6084465853.html t-tops 73kmiles for $11.5K

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6062595575.html t-tops 61kmiles for $10k

https://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/6077037151.html this one looks kinda nice, 1983 z28 100k miles at $6900, maybe still priced too high

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/6073872787.html 1991 RS 305 5speed t-tops for $9k with 128k miles although it's had a lot of parts replaced

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/6068496399.html 1992 convertible with LT1 and T56 installed and show car paint quality $12k 79kmiles (not really a fair comparison, just thought this one was interesting with the lt1/t56 swap)

https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/6020855060.html 92 convertible z28, 146k miles with 305, $10k and those awful 22" iroc rims...

After looking at these prices, the blue one for $7200 at 72k miles doesn't seem so bad...
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

If that 92 had the original engine and you got him down to 10K it would be a great collectors car. Putting the LT1 in really hurt it's appreciation long term. The T-top in Vegas isn't a bad deal if it drives well and the body is good.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/6086973571.html
1989 red iroc. Supposed to be 21000 miles. Faded paint but a possible gold mine for $7500 Ibo. Pm me if you're interested, might be able to help.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM

Tibo, that guy in bullhead city just won't answer any emails so I'm not gonna mess with that one anymore. here's a couple more maybe good ones. One is a ls1 t56 swapped 3rd gen, one is a 4th gen 1LE . wow both are very nice.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6094059004.html 3rd gen ls1 t56 swapped

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6093280156.html 94 1LE

Now I don't know whether to go for a 3rd gen or 4th gen.

3rd gen easier to work on vs 4th
no t56 in 3rd gen
4th gen (ls1 more so than lt1) more power
3rd gen looks are just sublime (irocs especially)

Ultimate goal is a street car with respectable power that can handle the HPDEs track days when I want to do it. Nothing over the top.

That 3rd gen looks to be perfect, already done all the work swapping stuff out, but of course has t-tops which i wanted to avoid... gah, when will the planets align?!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 PM

http://barnfinds.com/bf-exclusive-1994-copo-z28-camaro/

Ha stumbled on the link to the 4th gen 1le
Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 PM

Hey I don't know if my previous post did not go up, so I'll try again.

Bullhead City guy near u Tibo, never answered me. so not messing with that.
Found 2 other cars, one a ls1 t56 swapped 3rd gen
Other a 94 1LE

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6094059004.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/6093280156.html
Old 04-22-2017, 11:46 PM

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/6078657923.html New orleans (notice the tach?)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28 / 89 IROC
Engine: 350's
Transmission: T5 WC / 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.73

Price has been going up here in NC also. I personally like the 89 and older.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z28 / 89 IROC
Engine: 350's
Transmission: T5 WC / 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.73

Not bad with all the paperwork!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

I think the LS swapped 89 IROC is a great deal. The parts alone are were probably $5000, at least. Big benefit with that car is if you blew the engine it would be very simple to swap in a truck 5.3/6.0L and slap a single turbo on. It won't appreciate as much as a stock IROC in good shape but it will hold it's value well. It's in the same boat as mine.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

The LS1 T56 swapped car is a great deal. You'd be hard pressed to build one like it for that price even doing all the work yourself.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:44 AM

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6100721490.html convertible
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/6092070205.html convertible
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6084744840.html
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

I wouldn't touch that last one. The ad talks about engine gremlins after rebuilding the engine. Unless you have experience with PROM burning/tuning. Its also possible it's not ecm related and the problems are the way the engine was assembled. He'll have to drop the price to sell it to someone who wants to throw a carb on or use it for an LS transplant. Not many people who understand TPI anymore.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Crap, the ls1 t56 one just sold today...

sigh... back to spending hours on CL looking....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 PM

What the crap? Look at the price on this

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6092524017.html

I don't even think his story about the Dana 44 is true. Did Irocs ever come with a 8.5" rear end?

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6082187290.html
This one is nice but not interested in a 305, anyone else interested in this? Never seen this color combo before. Looks nice!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 PM

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6092833744.html
Looks nice, pretty close to me, will give this one a shot, but seriously can anyone tell me what's up with the tach needle? I've seen that twice now.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6082187290.html
This one is nice but not interested in a 305, anyone else interested in this? Never seen this color combo before. Looks nice!
I would LOVE to have that car.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
I would LOVE to have that car.
I concur
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6099748320.html
Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

That one looks in great shape but the plate says "Untitled Vehicle," not "Unlicensed" or "Unregistered." If the car does not have a title that would present and obstacle and it would pull down the selling price. The title reclamation process for Arizona wasn't hard, just time consuming. Every state will vary though. I would run that car through the police as well as car fax. Make sure the vin number on the windshield matches the vin below the drivers front fender on the upper frame rail there.