Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Japanese reverse cowl induction hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japanese reverse cowl induction hood

I've been working on this for over 15 years and have finally gotten to the root of it. Unfortunately the hood is discontinued and I can't find anyone in the states to replicate what I've built for a reasonable price. The manufacturer in Japan is currently considering starting production on these goods again if there is enough interest. If you are interested please simply post in this thread with a yes and a valid email account. After which I have been told they will contact you if they decide to go back into production with details of how you can acquire your own... so many of you have been asking for this. Here is your chance.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea
Re: Japanese reverse cowl induction hood

yes.

arturo.pacheco.89@live.com
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Car: 1992 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 700r4

yes.

Last edited by Griffin92rs; 05-05-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

If you've been here so long.. and you saw that even Kandied91Z couldn't even achieve this hood. Good luck. Tell everyone the price to buy (from original Japan maker) and watch your 'I'll buy' be zero.

Sorry to be reality.

If you can't buy a diamond object for the price of wet dirt... a thirdgen owner is out (for 95% of them).
Old 05-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Deadbird, just for your information kandiedreams is kandied91z. But I am with you on this, as much as i'd like to see this happen. $2k for a hood isnt feasible for the majority of thirdgen owners, but there are a lot of people getting in to them now that have deep pockets so he may be able to pull this off afterall. Lets hope!, the thirdgen community needs to grow.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 PM
TGO Supporter

87CIZ, thanks for the letting me know that. I'm not the best at following people (social media, etc). My apologies for refe4rring Kandied to himself as well.

To say though, I wasn't trying to be a d--k about what I said but, over the years, people pitching trying to get anything of quality made... just turns into vaporware for 90-95% of it.

While I don't frequent the boards quite as often as the past... it seems doing things on the cheap still holds true.

Granted, there are times stumping for something to be made/remade pans out... I own a set of the first remakes of the Ronal wheels. But, something like the Ronals were competitively priced.

That being said.. if there are enough people that can tow the bill for this hood... more power to them/Kandied. \

But, speaking from observation over time... of course everyone wants it... until the price surfaces.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Truthfully though $2k for a custom hood isn't too bad of a price. Harwood glass hoods are $500+ shipping and everyone seems to have a cowl hood theses days.

So YES ...

jharrison5@neb.rr.com
Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by jharrison5
Truthfully though $2k for a custom hood isn't too bad of a price. Harwood glass hoods are $500+ shipping and everyone seems to have a cowl hood theses days.

So YES ...

jharrison5@neb.rr.com
Don't forget, that $2k hood does not include the shipping cost of going half way around the world.... or any import taxes (if applicable)

Again, not trying to be the a-hole about this but, there is a reason, after 15+ years, this hood hasn't flooded the fbody market in the states...

Last edited by deadbird; 05-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

Are there no better pics? It might be easier to make one, and use it for a mould here in the states?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by deadbird
Don't forget, that $2k hood does not include the shipping cost of going half way around the world.... or any import taxes (if applicable)

Again, not trying to be the a-hole about this but, there is a reason, after 15+ years, this hood hasn't flooded the fbody market in the states...

Ah, but I know people who work in the import/export business and ship containers back and forth to Japan...
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Their third gens not Ferrari's. I doubt many would pay 2k+ international shipping for a HOOD! Then import fees, customs whatever and then truck freight to get it to your house! 500 for a hood is perfectly acceptable not 2000.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Car: 88 GTA

Depends. I used to own a company whose primary function was importing European parts and accessories for prestige brand vehicles. There are times someone may have a container scheduled that isn't full and can result in some inexpensive shipping. Other times, people use the assumption that shipping is expensive and stuff people by charging more than their fair share for space in a container.
If there is/was a big demand for a hood and people willing to pay $2K for it- some domestic company would probably do it. For $2K, it had better be amazing quality.
I'm starting to see more guys like me getting these cars, who have some cash and are buying these because it's what we wanted in high school. Not everyone with a Camaro or Firebird is broke.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by VTSummit
Depends. I used to own a company whose primary function was importing European parts and accessories for prestige brand vehicles. There are times someone may have a container scheduled that isn't full and can result in some inexpensive shipping. Other times, people use the assumption that shipping is expensive and stuff people by charging more than their fair share for space in a container.
If there is/was a big demand for a hood and people willing to pay $2K for it- some domestic company would probably do it. For $2K, it had better be amazing quality.
I'm starting to see more guys like me getting these cars, who have some cash and are buying these because it's what we wanted in high school. Not everyone with a Camaro or Firebird is broke.
Exactly. Goods are shipped from overseas everyday and a lot of those containers aren't full. I'm not rich but I'll pay for unique high quality goods.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI

I am more worried about it being damaged in its travel across the ocean. That's a lot of distance something can go wrong.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Car: 88 GTA

Shipping hoods in a container is sketchy, but can be done. The Japanese are usually great about packaging. Coming out of China or Taiwan- not so much.
I don't see what would make this hood worth $2K before freight.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I do not even see what is special about this hood.
Does anyone have decent photos of the top and bottom.

Anyway, the "total" price of that hood to your door is ridiculous.

And as mentioned, what if its damaged. Who along the trail is going to say, Yes, Its me. I damaged it.

Best to add some really decent insurance on it.

Worst part is, very few if anyone will know what is.
Your going to have to explain to those that ask that its a $2,500.00 hood from Japan, and you best have a $5,000.00 paint job on it.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 05-21-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Here are a few more pics. Plenty more on the net, if people search for them.

But unless I missed something in the posts above, I don't see where a price was posted, so I'd suggest not jumping to conclusions. That number, $2K, seems like it was merely pulled out of the air in an attempt to express that this hood will be expensive.

The hood is Carbon Fiber, and CF hoods tend to be in the $600-$1000 range, so the hood, itself, certainly should not be approaching $2K. But with shipping, customs, etc., the price is likely to be higher than most people would be willing to pay.

*Edit: On a more positive note, there isn't likely to be any paint cost, as most people would likely be leaving the CF finish for show.*

It would be nice if someone were to create a Carbon Fiber hood like this for Firebirds. VFN offers a lot of Fiberglass hoods for Firebirds, but the most awesome ones, some similar in design to this Japanese hood, are all for 4thgens, not 3rdgens. And Carbon Creations offers a Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood for 3rdgen Camaros and Firebirds, but it seems like it could've been better than it is.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 05-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I wasn't going to comment in a "interest" thread, but it seems to have turned more to an open discussion. From the first day I saw this hood (probably via Kandied) I've thought the same thing. I neither like it or hate it, but I can't imagine it being popular. I'm not a huge cowl hood fan, BUT, I totally see why it's popular. LOVE the SS hood, and again, totally see why it's popular. This hood has a very "custom" look to it, and long before price comes into play, it just doesn't appeal to the masses. I say this not be a bummer, but to defend the average thirdgenner and the "cheap" stereotype. While I HAVE seen some ideas shot down because of money, the average thirdgenner today is nothing like what "we" were 20 years ago. Trust me, I've been around it. While TGO's traffic is a little down, the quality of the cars owned by today's regulars here is MUCH higher than it was years ago. If the RIGHT hood was made, it'd sell. Kandied wants THIS hood, the question is does anyone else? Krio made those functional hood louvers, and at $400 a pop, and while some blasted him for the price, myself and a LOT of others couldn't place our orders fast enough. Thirdgenners will pony up for the right product.

That being said, I applaud anyone putting in the time to bring this hood to market, and I'd love to see it happen. ANY additional choices in how we build our cars is just plain good for the hobby. I'd love to see it work out!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

$ 2,000.00 has been mentioned six times in this thread and Carbon Fiber was not mentioned.

That being said, those photos are much better and the hood does look nice.
Cant tell if its a true cowl or if the ports are actually open.

The car in the photos above really looks good with it.
It looks like something that belongs on a race car and being Carbon Fiber makes a lot of sense.

Any way even if a hood is that price and you want it bad enough most of us can save a little each month until we can get it.

I managed to save $ 3,000.00 for paint. Took me almost two years but I did it.

Also, I apologize for the way my last post came out.
I'm usually more positive and supportive.
Must have been a bad day....

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 05-23-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:73

would be nice to have one but the shipping would be steep.
some guys have just made their own version of the hood
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Turbo LSX
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt torsen diff 3.73

I know im grave digging, but i have the opportunity to design a new hood or recreate an old one for production for the third gen camaro, and made in the states. Cheaper then 2 grand easily. Probably less then 1000. Just need to garner interest and come up with a design. I really dig this hood, but other people need to aswell, is there still interest in this?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Irockthedrag
I know im grave digging, but i have the opportunity to design a new hood or recreate an old one for production for the third gen camaro, and made in the states. Cheaper then 2 grand easily. Probably less then 1000. Just need to garner interest and come up with a design. I really dig this hood, but other people need to aswell, is there still interest in this?
Since you're looking for opinions, I would say that an "Iroc" style cowl hood would be nice. Nothing crazy, maybe a 2 inch or something. Then again, I don't know much about cowl hoods, if there is much to know.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.27

a gta style hood with the stock style vents AND a 2" cowl would be brilliant,as would a recreation of the 1969 firebird hood with the rear facing hood tach and the 2 front facing scoops for third gen firebirds,but not like an ra11 hood in any way.see below.somebody photoshop this onto a thirdgen firebird hood.

another hood that would sell is a DOUBLE offset cowl firebird hood,they have a scoop on the drivers side,put the mirror image of this on the passenger side,PLEASE.see below,double this scoop(check out stormtrooper at hawks)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Irockthedrag
I am very interested in a STOCK 85-92 iroc/z28 hood in fiberglass or carbon fiber. No louvers or anything, no cowls or lifts. Just like this, but fiberglass:

https://www.jegs.com/i/OER/691/1668008/10002/-1

I would be fitting a set of functional louvers in the stock location, which is why I didn't just grab an 82-84 hood.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block

Still want this induction hood
Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 players unraced
Engine: LB9

I would buy one in CF. Saves weight while managing heat and pressure under the car, win win