Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fix This Door, Have It Reskinned, Or Replace It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi
Fix This Door, Have It Reskinned, Or Replace It?

So I had my Firebird and my Jeep parked on the street in front of my house one day a year or so ago so I could hose down the carport and the driveway. As I did so, the sweet little 86 year-old lady across the street backed ever-so-slowly out of her driveway .... and right into the door of my poor Firebird!

I stood there with my mouth hanging open for a moment as she kinda waved her arms around. Then she put it in "D" and took off!

I chased her down the street, but she didn't stop.

A few minutes later, her husband comes knocking at my door. She'd called him and told him what she'd done. He said she'd panicked because there's no insurance on the car; they can't afford it. They're both on Social Security; he promised they'd pay me off at 50 bucks a month if I wouldn't call the police on her. They're broke, I told him not to worry about it.

So, I'm gonna have to figure this out for myself. I took it to a couple of paintless dent repair guys, but they said there's nothing they can do with it. I was so depressed and disgusted over it I haven't tried to deal with it yet, but i've gotta do something.

I'm thinking my options are to have the door fixed, have it reskinned, or find a good donor door.

Thoughts?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Fix This Door, Have It Reskinned, Or Replace It?

Well that sucks. I'm no painter or body man but if I had that, with all the 3rd gen cars out there, I would pick up a good door, swap all my stuff to it, and have it painted.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by seanof30306
So I had my Firebird and my Jeep parked on the street in front of my house one day a year or so ago so I could hose down the carport and the driveway. As I did so, the sweet little 86 year-old lady across the street backed ever-so-slowly out of her driveway .... and right into the door of my poor Firebird!

I stood there with my mouth hanging open for a moment as she kinda waved her arms around. Then she put it in "D" and took off!

I chased her down the street, but she didn't stop.

A few minutes later, her husband comes knocking at my door. She'd called him and told him what she'd done. He said she'd panicked because there's no insurance on the car; they can't afford it. They're both on Social Security; he promised they'd pay me off at 50 bucks a month if I wouldn't call the police on her. They're broke, I told him not to worry about it.

So, I'm gonna have to figure this out for myself. I took it to a couple of paintless dent repair guys, but they said there's nothing they can do with it. I was so depressed and disgusted over it I haven't tried to deal with it yet, but i've gotta do something.

I'm thinking my options are to have the door fixed, have it reskinned, or find a good donor door.

Thoughts?

I’ve always been told that new door skins are not the way to go. The body and paint guys I know would either get another door and paint it or fix the dent and paint it. The Hawks 3-piece moldings are cheap, come ready to paint, and look really good.. They match those ones you have for 88-90 style..

It’s not a super cheap fix.. that’s really a bummer man. I’m glad Massachusetts makes people insure their cars. You can get insurance for $60/month if you have a good driving record and just have stripped down insurance for damage to others and liability.. I mean, what if they hurt someone with their car? Driving around uninsured is a bad plan.

That really sucks.. Around these parts that would be a $700-900 fix to do it right.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC "The Duece"
Engine: 5.7 TPI L98
Transmission: 700R4

I'd avoid the re-skinning process. Find a good used door and go that route. Texas law says everyone must have liability at minimum, but I'd be willing to bet that close to half of the folks in Houston area don't carry it. That's a sucky deal, sorry you have to go through this.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 AM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Did u try one of those "dent removal" guys? I see no creases in that dent amybe they can pop it out.
A new door skin will be $pendy and almost impossible to find.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am convertible
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: G80/GU2

Trying to look on the bright sjde here, 1 nobody got hurt 2 she missed your quarter panel completely 3 your glass is in one piece.
If I was in your shoes I'd get another door, that one could be repaired as its not that bad, but you gotta strip the door down completely and maybe remove it to repair and then you got to paint it anyway may as well fit a used door. If you have some experience at panel beating maybe go that route, if you got to pay labour to repair, get a door. may as well do your window felt/strips while your there, she'll look real nice again then.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Well that sucks. I'm no painter or body man but if I had that, with all the 3rd gen cars out there, I would pick up a good door, swap all my stuff to it, and have it painted.
I agree!
Old 11-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 1982 MSE, 1988 S10 Blazer
Engine: 305 in both!
Transmission: 200c / Th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73 / 3.42

Watch some PDR youtube vids...........a good PDR guy can get that out and have it looking pretty good.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91ragtopTA
Trying to look on the bright sjde here, 1 nobody got hurt 2 she missed your quarter panel completely 3 your glass is in one piece.
If I was in your shoes I'd get another door, that one could be repaired as its not that bad, but you gotta strip the door down completely and maybe remove it to repair and then you got to paint it anyway may as well fit a used door. If you have some experience at panel beating maybe go that route, if you got to pay labour to repair, get a door. may as well do your window felt/strips while your there, she'll look real nice again then.
True.. hitting just the door is some luck.. pretty easy to swap those out..

I think that would be really tough for PDR with the door crease, etc...

It would be a lot of labor to have it fixed and painted perfect, so finding a perfect new door is probably the best bet..
Old 11-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I don't see that dent popping out with any kind of PDR due to the handle contour, new door is definitely the way to go. and yeah I would of been relieved it wasn't the quarter panel lol
Old 11-09-2018, 04:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.5 turbo
Transmission: Performabuilt 4l60E
Axle/Gears: Strange rear, 3.42

I hate to sound like a meany but I think you did the wrong thing. I just had to return my Dad's leased Honda recently, he is also 86 years old. His car was constantly taken on dings,dents and scratches due to his poor driving. He popped the curb in front of his house where kids normally play, fortunately they were not there at the time. There comes a time when someone needs to give up their license. What if that was a small child? What's going to stop this from happening again? Her driving abilities are only going to get worse not better. You obviously have a good heart, no doubt.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: GEN 4 LY6 (going forged 408)
Transmission: 60E (going RPM LEVEL 6 4L80E)
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.42 (staying...)

Should have called the cops...lesson learned the hard way.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by no new tires
Should have called the cops...lesson learned the hard way.
Look, I felt bad for them, and that was absolutely part of the reason I didn't pursue it, but not all.

The cops would have charged her with hit-and-run. She would've been able to plead it down to no jail time, which would have been fine with me. I don't want to see the nice little old neighbor lady who comes out to see my dog every day when I walk her go to jail Part of the plea agreement would have been restitution; they would have put her on a payment plan. Remember, the husband already offered that.

I've been to Wal Mart and seen them shopping, man. They eat lean. Any payment plan they got put on would be a burden to them, but that was the first thing the old guy offered.

So, I work nights, and sleep days. I often get home from work and am so tired I forget to put the trash and recycling containers out to the curb. A couple of weeks after this happened, I forgot to take them out, as usual. I went out there the next day to see if there was room for more trash in them, and they were empty!

In my city, if you're old or disabled, you can call the city and they'll come get your trash and recycling containers, you don't have to put them out at the curb. I figured they'd made a mistake and put me on that list, so I called the city to straighten them out. They told me I wasn't on the list. I was puzzled.

My trash and recycling kept getting to the curb when I forgot to put them out, and I kept calling the city trying to straighten it out.

One night, I worked really late, and didn't get home till nearly 7am. As I pulled into my driveway, there was my neighbor, taking my trash and recycling bins down to the curb, He told me he felt bad that I wouldn't let them pay me back for the damage his wife had done, so when he came down to put his bins out, if he saw mine weren't out, he'd put them out for me.

They're nice people. The woman did a bad thing, but that was the motivator for her husband to stop letting her drive anymore. Might have saved her, or someone else's life.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

There’s nothing wrong with giving someone grace in a situation like that, it will come back to you. A good neighbor is invaluable, and it can be in your best interest to foster a good relationship. I commend you for thinking of them instead of yourself.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

You done the right thing. Tells what kind of man you are.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Very kind of you..

Im not sure how it works there but you don’t go to jail for hitting a car and leaving in Mass.. It’s big surcharge and points on your license unless you can explain you didn’t realize you damaged someone’s car..

Hit and run when it’s a pedestrian is waaaaayyyyyy different..

Maybe you can just pay deductible on your insurance and it shouldn’t go up since it wasn’t your driving that did the damage.. If it’s considered vandalism or random destruction of property you might not even have to pay the deductible depending on the policy.. especially since the damage is on the door.. pretty hard to do that to your own door..
Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Cheapest fix is replace with a same color door.Should be one out there you can find for under $100.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I don't know what fantasy land people live in where doors from thirdgens in junkyard condition are any good, I've yet to see one. Especially without any GFX holes.

Looks like a 'soft' dent. I'd say take it to a professional and have them pop most of the dent out and finesse it back to perfection. Whether it's PDR or just a body shop, a pro will be able to get more of it out and do it better/faster than say - grabbing your plunger from the bathroom and grabbing the dent and taking it right out... Talk to a few pros, lay the little old lady story on them, maybe you'll find someone who feels bad for you and doesn't give it to you without the lube.

Beyond just finding a door, you'd surely be looking for a door without a bunch of rust, without a bunch of dents and dings. Then you'd have to fit it to the car and hope it fits right.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: CharlesOdoryOB
Transmission: 87587369775
Axle/Gears: CharlesOdory

You did the most honorable thing. Kudos to you.
Remember, we will all be there someday.

Louis
Old 11-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc vert, t-top
Engine: 305

I honestly think my hubby who is a body tech would be able to repair that door.
And I would have done the same thing for an older person.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27

By all means that is fixable. Time and patience with a hammer and dolly will work wonders. That area of the door is easily accessible from the inside. Any decent body man should be able to fix that. When I bought my car it had a nice sized dent in the middle of the drivers door at the molding. Took me about 6 hours and I had it pretty flat and only had to skim coat it. Looks so good after paint I can't even tell it was there and I'm not even putting the moldings back on. Junkyard doors in good condition aren't an easy find in my area that's for sure..
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by seanof30306
Look, I felt bad for them, and that was absolutely part of the reason I didn't pursue it, but not all.

The cops would have charged her with hit-and-run. She would've been able to plead it down to no jail time, which would have been fine with me. I don't want to see the nice little old neighbor lady who comes out to see my dog every day when I walk her go to jail Part of the plea agreement would have been restitution; they would have put her on a payment plan. Remember, the husband already offered that.

I've been to Wal Mart and seen them shopping, man. They eat lean. Any payment plan they got put on would be a burden to them, but that was the first thing the old guy offered.

So, I work nights, and sleep days. I often get home from work and am so tired I forget to put the trash and recycling containers out to the curb. A couple of weeks after this happened, I forgot to take them out, as usual. I went out there the next day to see if there was room for more trash in them, and they were empty!

In my city, if you're old or disabled, you can call the city and they'll come get your trash and recycling containers, you don't have to put them out at the curb. I figured they'd made a mistake and put me on that list, so I called the city to straighten them out. They told me I wasn't on the list. I was puzzled.

My trash and recycling kept getting to the curb when I forgot to put them out, and I kept calling the city trying to straighten it out.

One night, I worked really late, and didn't get home till nearly 7am. As I pulled into my driveway, there was my neighbor, taking my trash and recycling bins down to the curb, He told me he felt bad that I wouldn't let them pay me back for the damage his wife had done, so when he came down to put his bins out, if he saw mine weren't out, he'd put them out for me.

They're nice people. The woman did a bad thing, but that was the motivator for her husband to stop letting her drive anymore. Might have saved her, or someone else's life.
That's great! Good for you!