Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Driver Door: To replace or not to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Driver Door: To replace or not to replace?

My driver door is in sad shape. The window is chipped at the top from when somebody tried to break in. The triangle seal part is out of whack. The power mirror doesnt work (could be switch?). The window is WAY off it's track and flops all over the place. The power window motor is dying. The inner door panel (metal) is full of stress cracks and pushes inward and outwards about 1/2" when I fully close or open the window. It jungles like Santa's sleigh bells when I close it. The outer body panel has dings and is bent from hitting things with the door upon opening it.

Is it worth the $$$ for a new door?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 PM

Sounds like a good idea to replace the door as an assembly. Much easier to replace the door with all the parts than to do what you mentioned in the post one part at a time.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: Auto
Try to find a decent one at a junk yard. I recommend changing the door pin while you have the door off.
make sure you disconnect and the wiring harness form every thing, i.e. Power window motor, power door lock, and power mirror, ect. Because you will want to use the same harness and not have to splice all that in on the new (used) door.
As far as the power mirror not working... does the passenger side mirror work? If it does then it’s less likely that the switch is bad and more likely the motor is bad (or wires either coming out of the switch or going into the mirror.
I recommend when you find a door with power mirrors, take the time to remove the wiring harness for the power mirror, from the switch to the motor... I just noticed you have a camero so it should make it easier if you have the mirror switch on the door.
When you are taking the door off the junk yard car cut the wires just inside the driver side kick panel. (that way if you find a broken wire on your harness you will have a replacement to splice in inside the car and not in the door.)
One more note, The doors are heavy (even without the power accessories, especially with them!) make sure to get a helper to hold the door as you unbolt it from the car.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Re: Driver Door: To replace or not to replace?

I was just looking at some old posts, did you get a new door? how did it go?
I think I'll replace my passenger door for the same reasons too...
Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

I went ahead with the door change. I don't regret it, but you should be aware that when installing a new door it is hard to get properly aligned.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 AM

oh you don't have to tell me about door alignment, I've had my driver door off a few times too many. --new door pins, then to drill and tap new bolt holes because the upper hinge bolts were cross threaded from the factory. Still need to do some adjusting, front of the door is too low- the lines dont look right.
good to hear that worked out for you. :-)