Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Prepping 82 z28 coupe for paint

Old 01-05-2019, 05:38 AM

Prepping 82 z28 coupe for paint

I purchased a 82 pace car this summer and Itís in rough shape, Iíve decided that Iíd like to change the paint on it as the current job is hella faded and covered in the previous owners attempts to paint it, Iíve removed the hood and am hoping to sand and prime it so that when I bring it to the shop to get painted itíll be cheaper!
the bodyís made predominantly of fiberglass which I understand comes with its own issues.
I was hoping, for a bit of guidance for the sanding and priming and what to do as i donít want to damage the body. As well as the ways to fix scaps and cracks in the panels as there are a few.

Hopeful for help
Indi500
Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Re: Prepping 82 z28 coupe for paint

The body is steel, except the lower ground effects, front and rear bumpers, rear spoiler, and if it's a crossfire car, the hood will be glass. Any cracks in the fenders, roof, doors or rear quarters will be poor previous bodywork.
In short, if you have no idea on how to prep for paint, you might be better off trying to find a person who works in a shop that you can talk to and get their opinions on how you should proceed. Or possibly take a class on body repair at a local tech school.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM

Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: Auto
Re: Prepping 82 z28 coupe for paint

Originally Posted by BIRD91ZRAG View Post
The body is steel, except the lower ground effects, front and rear bumpers, rear spoiler, and if it's a crossfire car, the hood will be glass. Any cracks in the fenders, roof, doors or rear quarters will be poor previous bodywork.
In short, if you have no idea on how to prep for paint, you might be better off trying to find a person who works in a shop that you can talk to and get their opinions on how you should proceed. Or possibly take a class on body repair at a local tech school.
I'm a professional painter, and I would not recommend touching it. All 82 Z28 hoods are fiberglass, regardless of the engine. You can seriously destroy a fiberglass hood with a sander if you dont know what you're doing.....as well as all the other parts listed above. I'd leave it to the pros...it will probably be cheaper in the long run. Just my $.02