Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Damage Repair, need opinions on suspension damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 TA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M5
Damage Repair, need opinions on suspension damage

Got into an accident last week.

Damage was front pass fender, pass door, and my front pass rim hit hers.

What I'm concerned about is the sudden shaking in the suspension. The suspension was top-notch before this happened.

The two BODY shops that gave me estimates said its prolly a bent rim.

I just went to a tire place today, and they said the rim's prolly fine, but its most likely a bald spot in the tire since I skidded. They also checked the front suspension and found nothing wrong (which almost shocked me since they "try" to find stuff whenever I go there)

Now this makes sense I guess. I can easily get the cost of a new GSC (245/50/ZR16) added to the insurance claim, and buy from CarnDriver or SLP, but i'm wondering... why would it JUST be the tire that hit that's got the flat spot?

As long as its reasonable or explainable to the insurance co, I'm gonna get ANY possible damage repaired on the car.

In short, my question is: should i suspect any other suspension damage or tire(s) damage?

I can clarify any points if I'm too vague

Thanks in advance guys
Old 01-09-2002, 12:40 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Why not jack the back end off the ground and see for yourself what it might be ? Spin the tire by hand and watch the tread. If the tread appears to have a dip in it at a certain point, it's probably a flat spot.
If the wheel itself wobbles, watch the center around the lugs. If they appear to spin in a flat circle & the entire wheel/tire wobbles, the rim is bent.
If the lugs seem to follow the pattern of wobble the wheels has (if it does..), you've got a bent axle.