Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

new brakes...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 10 Bolt
new brakes...worth it?

i need some new braking power. the stock crap isnt cutting it obviously but i dont have a lot of money to spend on new brakes totallym, would i notice a worthwhile difference in initial bite and better stopping period if i upgrade to crossdrilled rotors and better than autozone pads with steel brake lines?

i figure its gonna cost around 300 bucks but still cheaper than other systems, and if so what does everyone recommend pad wise? ive heard of stillen being good but i was first looking at ebc, until i searched a little bit on the boards
Old 07-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well what i did when i first bought my car, due to the idiots taht owned it before me putting power steering flud in the brake master cyl....but anyways...I went to Autozone and Advanced and picked up the following: Wearever pads, High Volume Calipers (dun memebr the brand), and new lines (not ss but the ss ones were like 16 each or something)......and I have enough braking power that it has saved me *** on more than one occasion...BUT i would reccomend getting new rotos as one day to avoid being hi tmy a mac truck I railed the brakes and they hit hard enough to crack my rotor...it was eitehr the caliper doing it or the water puddle i hit afterwards and the rotor being cooled way to qucik by the water...I dunno which for certain....but that set up has been a dream for me and was light on the budget
Old 07-31-2004, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

ive never heard of the high volume calipers.....whats the difference between those and my normal stock calipers??
Old 08-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i haddent either...I got them by mistake, but thats what they said on the box...supposibly they allow more fluid to build up in them and thus hold a higher amount of pressure...I think that is what it said...I dont really rememebr it was about a year ago....
Old 08-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

anyone else??? i need some input on whether steel brake lines, cross drilled rotors and high qualitly street/race pads would be worth the money??? also anyone wanna shout out some brands you prefer?

last real question, would new calipers be worth my while? i dont see how calipers can wear out and lose breaking ability without going completly bad.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
In about a week I'll let you know how my eBay cross-drilled and slotted rotors are with Autozone's carbon metallic pads and re-man calipers..

Oh, but then again, I'll have 12" LS1 disc brakes in the rear
Old 08-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

o yea that makes it fair!!!

i dont do any road courses or auto x (yet) but i need something that wil actually lock up my wheels, my brakes right now wont do it at all, it just slowly comes to a stop with no hurry!!!

i figured the new cross drilled rotors, very good pads, steel lines, and new calipers would help out but the more i read i need bigger brakes. jst dont have the money

my rear disc brakes wont come until my new rear end :lala:
Old 08-02-2004, 01:17 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I would replace your flex lines with new rubber ones and get some good pads. Unless the caliper is sticking or leaking, you dont need to replace it.