Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

brake problem and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TPI conversion.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen rear
brake problem and solutions

i recently dropped in a 10 bolt rear disc that had been rebuilt with a posi and 4.10 gears. this rear came from an 85 iroc. the brakes are the stock iron calipers. it worked well in the iroc prior to going into my 91 that had rear drums. the drum rear works great in the iroc.
the disc rear is not working as well. the brakes have been bled a few times but the pedal still feels soft. on jackstands the driver rear holds the rotor tight, but the passenger side does not. the ebrake cables were also switched and will not hold on the disc rear. im unable to adjust it above the drive shaft as there is no adjustment shaft and nuts.
is there a problem with the calipers or not enough pressure going to them?
i researched before and after to find a solution and picked up a proportioning valve from jegs to put in. ive read where they have been put in under the master cylinder and under the driver seat area. where is the best place for it? in the same article, the distibution block was modified as the spring and plunger was removed and the screw put back in.
any ideas and pics would be helpful.