Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Brake upgrade 9-bolt, information needed FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake upgrade 9-bolt, information needed FAST!

Hey. Back on this forum after few years absence.

A friend of mine is about to fly from the US to Finland in two weeks and once I heard that I got an idea to upgrade the stock disc brakes to better functioning ones.

Now my rear axle has the stock TA/Iroc disc brakes, of the type where the other side brake is on the front side of the axle, and the other side is on the back side. I guess this type was used in 85-88. They suck, the parking brake never works.

I looked at the "sticky threads" but as a foreigner (from your point of view) I didn't understand even half about the things written to them, I now have to post this as a separate thread.

What brakes would be the easiest bolt-on upgrade compared to the stock 85-88 disc brakes on the 9-bolt rear end? I'm not after maximum stopping efficiency, but reliable function, cheap price and common to find. Do the 89-> rear calipers bolt right on the axle? Do I have to replace the discs too or is it only the caliper upgrade to get these brakes to work? Are they easy to find on US junkyards? Are there any other brake types that easily could fit in?

Thanks in advance for the replies. Also if any of the readers live near Darien, Connecticut, I might be interested in buying the calipers directly from you.

Regards,
Kimmo
Finland
Old 07-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Brake upgrade 9-bolt, information needed FAST!

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Do the 89-> rear calipers bolt right on the axle? Do I have to replace the discs too or is it only the caliper upgrade to get these brakes to work? Are they easy to find on US junkyards? Are there any other brake types that easily could fit in?
Here's a link that you may find helpful (the only difference between the 9- and 10-bolt is the backing plates).

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/faq-...iscs-89-a.html

No, the calipers don't bolt directly to the axle. You'll need the 89 nine-bolt backing plates (see the above link for a pic). You'll need larger discs. Both calipers and rotors could be found in junk yards, but most auto parts stores can order them in. You'll also need to consider e-brake cables and a proportioning (combination) valve.

Check the following link for other brake possibilites:

http://www.flynbye.com/

Or you could simply replace the rear calipers you're currently running--most have the "fix" included, I think.

JamesC
Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brake upgrade 9-bolt, information needed FAST!

Thanks for the info! I never imagined there's need to replace that much parts. I just bought new handbrake cables and machined the rotors so I think I'll stick with them. Some webstore even seemed to sell those parts that fix the bug with the handbrake.