Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

brake team $88 special

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
brake team $88 special

ok has anyone got the $88 special from brake team? did they do an good job or not and what comments/complaints do you have?

I was thinking of going there since my brakes are rusted out and will barely stop you, there special includes new premium pads, resurface rotors, repack bearings, bleed system, 2yr warranty. and its 88 dollars per axle.

I was thinking get the front axle done first and then if I need more stopping power get the rear done or get competly new brakes.

Should i be fine with re-finshed brakes or should i jump the gun and opt. for stock style rotors, calipers, pads, and lines. Idea on how much that would cost me + labor?

also this will be a daily driver rain or shine and i dont need the absolutely best brakes but i wanna be able to have confidence in the brakes and not have to worry about non stopping in time for a split second action.

I would prefere completly new brakes but my family has been in a tight for money and i need other stuff for the car other then just brakes. It also seems that the brake team i would be taking the camaro to has VERY good reviews but not sure if they are real or not. I have quite a while to think of it though. so any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by iroc stangs; 05-27-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: brake team $88 special

That sounds like a cheap deal but Brake Team?! Arrgh! Aren't they like Clutch Doctors?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

they probably use really crappy pads that will dust up your wheels. no point turning the rotors, if they are off the car, might as well just replace them.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
they probably use really crappy pads that will dust up your wheels. no point turning the rotors, if they are off the car, might as well just replace them.
i see your point but we really dont have the money to just replace what we want expecially since i just spend 45 bucks on a starter. luckily the wheels somewhat hide brake dust and the car will and is kept clean very clean regulary. also they claim that the pads are either just as good or better as fac.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
i see your point but we really dont have the money to just replace what we want expecially since i just spend 45 bucks on a starter. luckily the wheels somewhat hide brake dust and the car will and is kept clean very clean regulary. also they claim that the pads are either just as good or better as fac.
IDK 88$ is dirt cheap, and usually you get what you pay for. But if thats all the buget allows, then go for it.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

I was really just teasing you and maybe throwing up a little alert on cheap repairs. However, Brake Team is a national chain. They will measure your rotors and machine them if thick enough, replace them if not. Be aware the price goes up if they have to replace rotors or if they find any other problems. They will also give you a warranty in case you have issues. So you will probably be fine. I personally hate Brake Team and all others like them because im a hungry Master Technician and they make it harder for me to make a living. But thats my problem.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
IDK 88$ is dirt cheap, and usually you get what you pay for. But if thats all the buget allows, then go for it.
Are you able to do the work yourself? I mean, to change the brakes on these cars is very simple. The only 'specialty tools' you'll need is a big C-clamp and a socket big enough to get the castle nut off the spindle (if you're changing rotors too). That is; assuming you have a jack and a way to get the tires off.

Other than that, its VERY easy and if all you're looking at doing is changing pads, you can get really nice pads for $50 and save yourself the other $30+ and know you've got better pads than a shop will throw on.

Just offering it as a solution - Even your first time will only take 30-45 minutes MAX per side. We can help you here with info too.

The bearing "repack" is really no harder than getting some grease and slinging it into the bearings and putting them back on. As for the rotors, most autoparts chains around town will have at least one store that turns rotors.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Dante93GTZ; 05-28-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
Are you able to do the work yourself? I mean, to change the brakes on these cars is very simple. The only 'specialty tools' you'll need is a big C-clamp and a socket big enough to get the castle nut off the spindle (if you're changing rotors too). That is; assuming you have a jack and a way to get the tires off.

Other than that, its VERY easy and if all you're looking at doing is changing pads, you can get really nice pads for $50 and save yourself the other $30+ and know you've got better pads than a shop will throw on.

Just offering it as a solution - Even your first time will only take 30-45 minutes MAX per side. We can help you here with info too.

The bearing "repack" is really no harder than getting some grease and slinging it into the bearings and putting them back on. As for the rotors, most autoparts chains around town will have at least one store that turns rotors.

Just a thought.
i would love to do it myself but i really dont trust myself, it took me quite a while to get a starter out and a new one in i couldnt really inmagine doing the brakes, sure if i had someone to help but i couldnt even get a FRIEND to come over for 20mins to get a muffler off lol. i really just dont trust myself. maybe it will change overtime since i wont be able to afford brakes for a while and maybe i can take it in for a project for shop glass when i get in highschool??? that would be nice lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ASE doc
I was really just teasing you and maybe throwing up a little alert on cheap repairs. However, Brake Team is a national chain. They will measure your rotors and machine them if thick enough, replace them if not. Be aware the price goes up if they have to replace rotors or if they find any other problems. They will also give you a warranty in case you have issues. So you will probably be fine. I personally hate Brake Team and all others like them because im a hungry Master Technician and they make it harder for me to make a living. But thats my problem.
hey if you want maybe you get can some buisness of me??? you know if i can somehow get the car to your place lol?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,2500 stall
Axle/Gears: G80,10 bolt 3.42's

dude,if you can take the tires off your car you can change the brakes.Its about as easy as an oil change.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shadygrady
dude,if you can take the tires off your car you can change the brakes.Its about as easy as an oil change.
i know but i have no one to physically help me if (and i know i will) get stuck and brakes arent nothing to mess around with. plus i just really dont have the money for new brakes.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
i know but i have no one to physically help me if (and i know i will) get stuck and brakes arent nothing to mess around with. plus i just really dont have the money for new brakes.
I realize you've got some fear about it; but seriously, If you can jack the car up and take the wheels off (only have to do 1 at a time) you CAN do a brake job. They are very easy. Seriously; you CAN do this! There's no precision to it, its just remove the old stuff, put the new stuff on.

People being physically there or not, you have an entire website here to help via the internet. If you're really worried about doing it yourself, start early in the morning and if you get stuck, post msgs/pics and we will be here to help. Its very much a 1 person repair.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Break Free From Bad Brakes

…since my brakes are rusted out and will barely stop…
If you have lining remaining, but can barely stop, the problem is bigger than just new pads and resurfacing rotors.

If you decide to bring it to a shop tell them the problem, and be prepared to spend more than $88.

Should i be fine with re-finshed brakes or should i jump the gun and opt. for stock style rotors, calipers, pads, and lines. Idea on how much that would cost me + labor?
If you get the aforementioned it should cost $400.

Happy Racing!

I I’ve NEVER Hit The Wall! - The Safer Barrier Prevented It