Cheap Proportioning Valve Upgrade - Page 8 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Proportioning Valve Upgrade

Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #351

Re: Cheap Proportioning Valve Upgrade

I say shoot for whatever is easiest first. The drum spring I believe is a lighter spring. It wont allow much force to the rears for disc. That white z car looks rad with those wheels.
foxxtrot82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #352
Supreme Member

I just ordered a pack of the 22lbs springs. Im converting to front ls1 brakes.Swapped from the stock 9bolt disk to the 94 lt1 rear pbr's and my rears barely do a thing.Even with my stock disk prop valve i think the 22lbs combined with my front ls1 brakes should bring the car upto snuff with the modern car crowd.Its super scary trying to stop at all with stock brakes no matter if it was disk/drum or disc all around..they never seemed adequate to me.
86White_T/A305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #353
Supreme Member

Just got my pack of 22lbs springs.Will 4 extra if anyone wants to buy them off me then send me a pm.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #354

Just installed the 19# spring.
Stock brakes. Rear drums.
Normal to moderate braking feel increased 30%.
Hard braking increased 15%.

Well worth the 3 minutes and $15.
Vanilla Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #355
Supreme Member

I also did the 19 lb spring after swapping out the drums for a set of PBR calipers and 13" Baer rotors. I am running NOS GM pads out back as well. Front brakes are Corvette C6 calipers with 14" Baer rotors. Stock GM pads. The car stops so good that I think I actually have too much brake for this car now. Brakes this good need to be used with ABS. I am extremely pleased with the performance.
BOTTLEDZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #356
Supreme Member

Sorry if this has already been asked, Is this a leak free install or do you have to bleed the brakes afterwards?
QwkTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #357

Mine leaked a little puddle. Didn't bleed anything just moved quick when I realized there was a drip stream.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #358
Supreme Member

I tested out my brakes now with 22lbs spring and it feels noticeably better. Mine leaked a few drops so yes you should bleed the system after install.It wasnt much mess at all but i know need to bleed it. My rears now show actual brake dust and in hard braking felt well balanced.I suggest the 22lbs spring.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #359

Does anyone still have the 19lb spring for sale
JRobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #360

I have some.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #361

Ok, I read thru the thread - did not find a solution for the 84 bird se iron prop valve. Is there a solution via the spring upgrade? Rear brakes (lines, rotor, etc all new - adjusted e-brake as much as possible) do not apply well. Thx byron
Buickstaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #362

Anyone with both 19 & 22# springs available? I'd like to try both. Just upgraded rear from drums to LS1's and already running C5's up front.
Ed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #363

Glad this thread is still alive...and glad ThirdGen.org exists.

I just pulled out my 1985 IROC after 10 years garage stored. I too have braking concerns since I have owned it, purchased in 1988. I now have it road ready - after many repairs. WRT the brakes - I kept the original J65 disc brake setup (replaced back calipers and four rotors/pads around).

After reading this thread I am planning to do the 19# Grainger Spring (1NRC5) but have a question as many of you have the later model aluminum PPV. I did notice a picture from way back of the casted PPV which my vehicle has.

I want to hear from you experts that this PPV will also take the 1NRC5 spring.

1985 IROC PPV
1985_IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickstaged View Post
Ok, I read thru the thread - did not find a solution for the 84 bird se iron prop valve. Is there a solution via the spring upgrade? Rear brakes (lines, rotor, etc all new - adjusted e-brake as much as possible) do not apply well. Thx byron
If they are four wheel disk brakes, I just replaced my rear calipers and learned a lot. You should not adjust the parking brake cable by tightening it. You have to loosen it so that the rear caliper arms come all the way out - this allows for the caliper piston to pop out a notch closer to the disc. This is how they self adjust. If you over tighten the parking brake cabling, then the parking brake arm on the caliper will never extend far enough to self adjust. Try taking the cable off the arm, pull it all the way back and see if the piston comes out. If not you may have bad caliper...
1985_IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #365

I have 4 of the 1NCR5 19 lb springs left if anybody in the Southern Ontario/Toronto GTA area wants one. Located in Barrie.
auto_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #366

I've just order the 5pk 1NCR5 from Grainger. Once received I only need 1. Anyone in the South-east needing, make offer.
unionbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #367

I would like 1 1NCR5 - 19# please. PM me. I have paypal. Thanks.
NoEmissions84TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #368

I had contributed to this thread some years ago when I did the spring change and reported that it didn't work for me. Fast forward to today when I have changed to a manual master cyl and a wilwood adj valve and I still can't get pressure to the back calipers. So I think the reason why the spring change didn't work for me back then maybe wasn't the springs fault. Still troubleshooting what's going on with the new setup.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #369

OK, I will risk getting bashed. Does anyone wish to reason this out with me?
First, I have never seen the layout of the complete factory 4 wheel disc setup.
But converting from drums to discs presents a few questions and observations:
1) Drums use small wheel cylinders and discs use much larger calipers. What would you say the volume difference between the two is? At least 5 to 1 maybe?
Therefore, that section of the master cylinder (MC) needs to be able to push 5 times the volume of fluid, times 2 calipers, so 10X then.
2) Are the sizes of the metal brake lines running to the rears larger on disc cars compared to drums? Is there still only 1 line to a tee block on the axle on disc cars, or do disc cars have separate lines, or 1 larger diameter line? You follow how this alone could be a major restriction?
3) Do the MCs for rear disc cars have a larger chamber to feed the calipers? My 84 TA with original disc/drum setup has a MC with a much larger section that feeds the front discs, and a smaller chamber to feed the rear wheel cylinders. Is the MC different on 4 wheel disc cars?

Let's all figure this out together.

Last edited by NoEmissions84TA; 08-13-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA View Post
1) Drums use small wheel cylinders and discs use much larger calipers. What would you say the volume difference between the two is? At least 5 to 1 maybe?
Therefore, that section of the master cylinder (MC) needs to be able to push 5 times the volume of fluid, times 2 calipers, so 10X then.
2) Are the sizes of the metal brake lines running to the rears larger on disc cars compared to drums? Is there still only 1 line to a tee block on the axle on disc cars, or do disc cars have separate lines, or 1 larger diameter line? You follow how this alone could be a major restriction?
3) Do the MCs for rear disc cars have a larger chamber to feed the calipers? My 84 TA with original disc/drum setup has a MC with a much larger section that feeds the front discs, and a smaller chamber to feed the rear wheel cylinders. Is the MC different on 4 wheel disc cars?

Lines are same drum or disk. Same t block set up. MC looks same but might have different piston size, not sure. Can easily check by part numbers.
And I also have 4 spare springs from grainger
yevgenievich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA View Post
A disc brake caliper requires less fluid to activate than drum brakes. The pads are already right up against the rotor compared to drums that need the shoes moved further to contact the drum.

Quote:
On our 3rd gens the brake line going from combo valve to the rear is the same with both rear drums and rear discs (~1/4"). There is evidence that going to a smaller line with rear discs is beneficial (3/16").

Quote:

The actual M/C used varied through the years. But near the end of 3rd gen production the rear drum and rear disc M/C were the same.

The reason for the larger reservoir on disc brakes is due to pad wear. As the pads wear they move toward the rotor, this requires more back-fill in the caliper. Hence the larger reservoir to prevent loss of brakes. This is also why one shouldn't keep topping off a disc brake reservoir.

When it is time for new pads pushing the piston back will overflow the M/C.

Drum brakes adjust as the shoes wear. So no need for a large reservoir. Just need to remember to adjust them from time to time. This is done on cold brakes by backing up and pumping the brake pedal.

As for the premise of this thread, providing higher line pressure to the rear discs, has anyone actually tested this under all road conditions. Such as a wet roadway at say 50 MPH and heavy braking? I'm just not keen on the back of the car going first.

RBob.
RBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #372

Thanks yevgenievich and RBob. Your great explanations answered all the questions.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #373

As for the premise of this thread, providing higher line pressure to the rear discs, has anyone actually tested this under all road conditions. Such as a wet roadway at say 50 MPH and heavy braking? I'm just not keen on the back of the car going first.

Anyone?

RBob.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #374

I have LS1 brakes on all 4 corners. with my stock 1988 IROC master and a 1NCF2 spring in the proportioning valve. I have BFG Comp 2's (not the all season ones) and have ran the car in at least a dozen SCCA TrackNight in America events at Gingerman raceway with one of them being in the rain. I use the cheap E-Bay Brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors and Ceramic pads and change them every season 3-4 track days and about 2-3k street miles). NEVER have had the back end lock up before the front. According to my data logs from the EBL P4 system I am pulling .75g's+ in braking with them holding up for en entire 20 minute session. (Note 2 years ago I did crack the outside face of the LF rotor after the 3rd track day. Last year I tried the Brakemotive rotors and Hawks HPS pads in front and Brakemotve ones in the rear. On one run the rears did start to lockup before the fronts going into turn 5 but it was the only time. I also like the cheap Brakemotive pads better they are predictable and consistent even when the front rotors start to glow red near the end of a run going into turns 11 and 1. They just only last 3 at most 4 track days but at about $130-140 for 4 rotors and pads it's considered a consumable item in my mind. I just keep an extra set in stock.

In summary even in the rain I am happy with it and would no hesitate to recommend the mod. The brakes on my car are unreal how good they are... As someone told me once "wait till you see God the start braking"

Snap oversteer on acceleration with really super sticky Pirelli Trofeo R tires.... That's a topic for another thread...
daferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #375

I am interested in the 19lb spring if someone has an extra one and willing to ship. I have PayPal. Thanks.
fast lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by daferris View Post
I have LS1 brakes on all 4 corners. with my stock 1988 IROC master and a 1NCF2 spring in the proportioning valve. I have BFG Comp 2's (not the all season ones) and have ran the car in at least a dozen SCCA TrackNight in America events at Gingerman raceway with one ...
OK, good data, but on a modified car. The brakes are well balanced with your setup. Has anyone with stock-ish brakes tried heavy braking in the rain with the larger spring? I just want you folks to be safe, nothing worse then swapping ends.

RBob.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lenny View Post
I am interested in the 19lb spring if someone has an extra one and willing to ship. I have PayPal. Thanks.
Does anyone have the 19lb spring? Looking to pick one up and install it. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #378

Quote:
Does anyone have the 19lb spring? Looking to pick one up and install it. Thank you!
I have the one from grainger that started the thread
Old 09-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
I have the one from grainger that started the thread
Do you have an extra you are willing to sell?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #380

I have 4 of them at the moment. Pm me if you want to get one. I am guessing about $3.50 with paypal.
Quote:
Do you have an extra you are willing to sell?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
I have 4 of them at the moment. Pm me if you want to get one. I am guessing about $3.50 with paypal.
PM sent. Thanks!