Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Parking Brake Not working right: 86 Z28, rear disc

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Chevy Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 LG4
Transmission: Auto
Parking Brake Not working right: 86 Z28, rear disc

Hello,

I have an 86 Z28 with rear discs, and the parking brake grabs a little when applied, but not quite enough to "hold" the car from moving when in gear (automatic). This will not pass safety inspection.

I have the adjuster/equalizer noted in the attached pic. This is not a pic of my actual car, but I have the same one...HOWEVER it appears to be bent a bit, and there is more slack on one of the cables than the other.

Couple of questions for you guys:
  1. When tightening the adjuster/equalizer to pick up slack, it appears that the 1/2" nut should be turned clockwise while holding the 5/16" threaded rod. Am I correct?
  2. Has anyone ever used a Dorman parking brake cable tensioner to pick up loose slack? If so, then please do post pics if you can.
  3. This thing is a PAIN IN THE NECK to adjust when the drivshaft is in the car. Any tips/tricks?
  4. Lubrication: What is the best way to lubricate the ratcheting mechanism? Do I need to go in through the interior (console)?
  5. Should I lubricate anything on the brake caliper assemblies themselves? Any adjustments on teh brake caliper assemblies?

Please share any relevant tips or points. Many thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Parking Brake Not working right:  86 Z28, rear disc-dc84.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: Parking Brake Not working right: 86 Z28, rear disc

1. regular thread; "left loose, right tight"
2. no input, haven't tried
3. i love my ratcheting wrenches, makes this job a bit less miserable
4. i would hit the threads up with some pb blaster and a soft wire brush to get rid of any light rust and grime, followed by a little bit of white lithium. by nature, it should fight you due to the lock nut on there (don't want this getting loose) but it should help a bit.
5. not sure here, so i'll leave it to others to answer
Old 08-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by Looksthakill
I have an 86 Z28 with rear discs, and the parking brake grabs a little when applied, but not quite enough to "hold" the car from moving when in gear (automatic). This will not pass safety inspection.
May well be the common problem with these rear discs. Check below for the recall:

http://members.shaw.ca/crussel/recalls/86c28/86c28.html

JamesC
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW Limited Slip 3.27 w/disc brakes

Originally Posted by Looksthakill
Hello,

I have the adjuster/equalizer noted in the attached pic. This is not a pic of my actual car, but I have the same one...HOWEVER it appears to be bent a bit, and there is more slack on one of the cables than the other.

Couple of questions for you guys:
  1. When tightening the adjuster/equalizer to pick up slack, it appears that the 1/2" nut should be turned clockwise while holding the 5/16" threaded rod. Am I correct?
  2. Has anyone ever used a Dorman parking brake cable tensioner to pick up loose slack? If so, then please do post pics if you can.
  3. This thing is a PAIN IN THE NECK to adjust when the drivshaft is in the car. Any tips/tricks?
  4. Lubrication: What is the best way to lubricate the ratcheting mechanism? Do I need to go in through the interior (console)?
  5. Should I lubricate anything on the brake caliper assemblies themselves? Any adjustments on teh brake caliper assemblies?

Please share any relevant tips or points. Many thanks guys.

Based on what your describing it sounds like your calipers need to be adjusted. Since the cable on one side is stretched it would be a good idea to replace both cables. As long as the adjuster doesn't bind with anything and it operates as designed a minor bend in the adjuster isn't a big deal.

Check out this thread for info to adjust your rear calipers. I used the deepest socket I could find with a 12" extension. I used a 4" pair of vice grips to hold the rod while adjusting the tensioner nut. With the ratchet and extension I can angle it down to make adjusting the nut easier.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brak...rear-disc.html