Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Prop valve problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: base 305
Transmission: auto
Prop valve problem ??

So, Still picking at my '85 T/A.

Was planning on redoing the brakes anyway but broke the rear line while welding in the floor so we had to move it around a few times with the back brake line busted.

After all the welding was done repairing the floor, we did the back brakes.

Everything new from the wheel cylinders, shoes and spring kit and lines up to the prop valve. rear brakes wouldn't bleed. No fluid coming out the prop valve where the back line goes in. Figured the prop valve had stuck.

While tinkering with it with the line off, the little piston inside came out so we were able to bleed the rear brakes with it out.

So, now there's fluid in the line and both back cylinders and we put the piston back in the prop valve.

But still no rear brakes. Is there some way to reset the prop valve or do I have to get a new one?

Way too cold to work on it right now so I have a couple months until it's warm enough in my garage to work on anything but thanks for any advice or insite anyone can give me on the problem.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: Chevy 355
Transmission: T5 NWC
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Prop valve problem ??

Same thing happened to me, instead of removing the piston, mine wouldn't come out so I hooked up my rear brake lines (which were empty except for air because they had been off for so long) and disconnected one of the front brake lines. A few taps of the pedal and he piston recentered itself on its own. Other than unhooking a front line and shifting it like I did, you can probably unscrew the electrical connector piece up top and get at the piston with a pick and slide it over.