Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

hey i have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982
Engine: 350
Transmission: 350
hey i have a question

i donno if im putting this in the right spot but....
my boss is trying to sell me his 87 iroc its in pretty good shape paint still has a good shine and it has just a little rust around the RR wheelwell it has a TPI 305, manual tranny, t-tops (they dont leak), interior is in very good shape the car hasnt been started in yrs and its sitting outside in a feild so he says theirs prolly been mice in it..... the steering colum is taken out of it and he said it has to be rewired??? and the rear bumper cover and the spoiler is all messed up but he has the new bumper cover and spoiler.... my question is how much do you think its worth and should i look for anything when i actually go and look at it
thanks,
john
Old 10-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Car: 91 Purple Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Re: hey i have a question

i would say as long as it turns over it would be worth a grand. be a good fixer upper i would say. I also have the parts to get it fixed...steering column and bumper and such.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Look for rust anyplace you can see. Look under the car as well. Check oil to see, if it has any and what it looks like no water how much oil. Check coolant for condition as well color or corrosion . I would offer low and work up. Cant go down once the offer is on the table only walk away at that point. Without pictures and knowing the work it will need, cant give you a price. Plus location can make prive vary, supply and demand.

If you buy it you are looking at a few things before you try and start it.
You will be looking at a major tuneup. Before you try and start it. I would do the following: get an oil pump primer Proform 66896 from summit or one like it, dain old oil get some low grade oil and pump it through first then replace oil fush it first to clean up inside engine. Turn engeine over by hand a few times to see if she will turn with out any issues.

Things I would replace off the bat:
1 Injectors the are old and have not been used in some time. Get them from FIC $169 for set
2 plugs/wires cap and rotor. $50 and up
3 coolant $20
4 I bet it will need fuel pump. $50 and up
5 fuel filter $8
6 oil and filter $10 and up

This is just me.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM

hey thanks for the advice guys im not sure if ill buy it or not but if and when i go take a look at it ill take some pics and maybe you can let me know what you think... all i know is if it needs a fuel pump i prolly wont buy it cause im not looking forward to pulling the axle espically on a car thats been sitting for so long
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC 5.7 Money Pit
Engine: (being built; modified TPI ZZ4
Transmission: 2200 stall/ stage 3 700R4
Axle/Gears: freshened 3.27 in 9.bolt/

Think it through; if you got the car for $800, you're looking at putting another thousand dollars into it. Are you mechanically inclined enough to rewire it all yourself? If not, then you're looking at way more cash out-lay. What you'll most likely end up with is closer to $2500 to get it to the point where it runs and drives. Camaro's don't do very well when they sit for long in a driveway. This one has been sitting in dirt, and with mice you'll most likely end up having to take out and replace way more than you'd expect and you might be fighting small rust spots for 2-3 years that keep popping up. Remember; GM made this generation of Camaro's to be disposable at 100k miles.

For $3 grand you can find an IROC 5.7 that's all there/runs & drives/registered & smoged/ only in need of your choice of modifications. If you could manage 4-grand, you could come up with one that some one has dropped in several thousand dollars in suspension and drive-train improvements, almost perfect paint, etc.

I think you're on the right track with looking at an IROC rather than an SC. These third gens are most likely at the point where they have bottomed out in price and will start creeping up in value. It'll end up being the IROC's and the 91-92's with T-tops and the larger engine that will end up with more value.
This weekend is a great time to watch the big Berret-Jackson car auction that's going on in Las Vegas. I watched totally frame off custom hot rods with 10k just in paint work go for about $25k. But then there was a 1975 trans am with the factory high performance drivetrain package and that went for $70,000 bucks.
I know this answer greatly deviates from your original question and dosn't take into consideration your finances. Just don't want you to loose big bucks over time. Best of Luck/Nitro-Nicky
Old 10-17-2008, 06:03 PM

yea man i know your right im just a camaro freak and when i came across a good deal its hard for me to pass up lol im only 21 and ive owned 6 camaros already lol and i know i can rewire the coulm but i donno this one just seems like its gonna need more work than its worth... and its been sitting for more than 3 yrs its getting closer to 5 i think im just gonna sell the one i have now cause some kid is offering me a pretty decent price for it pay off some bills and work on getting a pretty decent one in the spring i just hate not being able to say i have a 3rd gen i wouldnt call it an obsession its more like a disease lol but thanks for all the info guys i think im gonna take a pass on this one.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC 5.7 Money Pit
Engine: (being built; modified TPI ZZ4
Transmission: 2200 stall/ stage 3 700R4
Axle/Gears: freshened 3.27 in 9.bolt/

Wow! That's a hella' lot of Camaros!! I understand though, as I've owned well over 50 cars; not including all the ones I stole as a teenager. Cars have always been an obsession that's difficult to resist. To make a commitment to buy and keep my current 88 IROC was a hard choice to make. I'm dying to buy a house with a couple acres so I can have several at one time again..... Sometimes at night I actually dream of having a big barn with several clapped out muscle cars inside!
I wish someone would have talked to me early about buying for the future as I let go sheetmetal that would now pay for the acreage/house/barn/PLUS shop! And I'm not even an old geezer yet!!!! Nitro