Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Kicker Impulse 4X6 installation hell...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kicker Impulse 4X6 installation hell...

oh dear. I should not have done this on the day I needed to pack for school (still need to do it too!)... Any=hoo I got them about 2 today... finished up at 6.

The drivers side needed plastic cut out from around the bottom of the speaker so it could fit... I should have probably cut a little more but it fits alright so I'm no worried... the metal brackets that the speakers sit in needed new mounting holes drilled because the existing ones wouldn't allow the speaker to be fully screwed down... On the passengers side the wires needed to be extended so they could fit on the connector... Both sides needed to utilize the plastic spacer that Kicker supplies between the speaker and mounting surface...

These are directional speakers, and I mounted them so the raised tweeters faced towards me... they pretty much are facing into the windshield at the part right where I'm looking through... I could have faced them the other way and probably gotten more highs, but they are high enough almost to the point where they hurt my ears...

The speakers themselves are alright, I'm sure there is better out there. Don't even think about feeding these speakers mid-bass to bass though! They will distort like no tomorrow!

All in all, I think I'll be more pleased once I get my 6X9's in... right now I can't really expand my sound because then I get all treble and no bass...

Sound quality at low levels of volume is amazing however! (but who keeps thier stereo down anyway?)

...just thought I'd share... Time for me to pack!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about the wires are always too short from the factory. On the plastic, most will heat up the plastic or duct and install the speakers.
Your right on the 4x6's on mid-bass, they were designed for higher frequencies...your 6x9's should pick up the mid-bass better, as they'll have alot more cone area.