Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Here is what Im finishing my system with, and I have some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: T-5
Here is what Im finishing my system with, and I have some questions!

Ok, so bout the end of Feburary, early March I am receiving $800 from a VERY generous friend so I can finish my system. It will consist of:

A 2nd Alpine Type-R Sub 4 ohm model ($115)
A JBL 1200.1 Amp to push the 2 Type-R's ($275)
A JBL P80.4 to push the Boston Acoustic 6x9's and 4x6's ($149)
A Alpine 7893 CD Headunit, the blue glow one to match the rest of my blue lighting ($269)

Now for the questions....
1) What size of wiring should I use and how should I use it? I already have 8 ga. ran, so do I just leave that and run the 80.4 on the 8 ga. and then run 4 down the other side of the car for the 1200.1? Or should I run like 2 ga. or bigger to a distribution block, and then run 4 ga. to the 1200.1 and 8 ga. to the 80.4?

2) To get a cap, or not to get a cap, that is thy question. If thy answer it to get a cap, what size should I get? 1 farad, 2 farad, or get a big ol ****in 5 farad cap?

3) put a divider in my sub box. There isnt one in there now, but I can easly add one. My box is aprox 1.67 cubic ft (if I remember right) so it is a little small for 2 12" Type-R's. What does a divider help/hurt? Should I add one or not? (I listen to rap/rock if that makes a difference)

4) Pollyfill aka pillow stuffing. My box is a little small. Polyfill makes the it seem bigger to the subs. Seems like it would be a simple thing to figure out. But would I gain enough to justify taking the time to put it in?

5) And finally, WHAT YA'LL THINK? WILL IT KICK A LITTLE **** OR SHOULD I CHANGE SOME PURCHACES? And does anyone have a place I might be able to get better prices? I am going to purchase all items from Ikesound.com but if there are better prices to be found from a reputable company I might reconsider....MIGHT that is

Thanx for the info! :hail: :lala:

Last edited by DISTURBthePEACE; 01-27-2003 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
sounds nice. wish i had a generous friend like yours.

um i would buy a farad cap for the amp pushing the subs because it seems liek it would be drawing the most power. i would also suggest the 2 guage amp to a distribution block that would spilt to 4 and 8 guage. the speakers however i will have to disagree with you. my personal prefference would be a set of Infinity Perfect's. but thats me and im open to ideas.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:27 PM

1) it would be a little bit cleaner install to run 2-gauge from your battery to a distribution block, and then from there 4 and 8 gauge to the amps.. however, you could just as easily get away with running another 4 gauge from the battery to the 1200.1, and using the 8 for the 80.4.. the advantage to that would be that it would be slightly cheaper to buy the 4 gauge than the 2 gauge, but.. i dont think the price difference is that much, id go with 2 gauge personally...

2) you're definitely going to need a cap, and probably a higher output alternator. the 1200.1 is incredibly efficient, but still.. it can draw over 100 amps when you're maxing it out also, have you upgraded your underhood wiring yet? but a few extra feet of 4 gauge wire for battery to alternator, battery to ground and engine block to ground.

3) i don't remmeber what your box looks like offhand, but adding a divider will help with the bracing, so it might be a good idea. as for functionality, you wont really notice a difference either way..

4) if your box is small, definitely go for it. a properly sized box (even if you cheat with stuffing) allows the sub to perform optimally, and it makes a pretty big difference. 1/10th of a cubic foot probably wont make a difference, but if you're .4 out of spec or something you definitely should compensate for that.

5) definitely kick ***, although i agree with hamspiced on the infinity speakers.. however, as you already have them, not much yo ucan do there thats just personal preference anyway.. the jbl amps are spectacular, you're definitely gonna have a bumpin system

5b) you wont find a better deal than ikesound.com ... prices are very cheap, and he actually has very nice customer service too. ships your items promptly, and ive never had a problem dealing with him.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L V-6
Transmission: T-5
1) I have decided to go with the distribution block for the clean and cool look, which I love.

2) What brand cap should I get? I was thinking lightning audio since JBL dont make a cap to go w/ there amps. Also is 1 farad gonna be enuf, I dont Think I'll have to run the 80.4 through the cap, just the 1200.1. Also, should I go 4 or 2 ga under the hood for the wiring upgrade? Can I use stereo wire or do I need sumthin special to go from the battery to the alt?

3) My box

I don't think Im gonna put the divider in it if I can get away without putting one in there.

4) Pollyfill it is, I need 2 cubic ft, got 1.6. Maybe I'll build a new box, AGAIN.

5) Have bostons in the back, but am still debating on getting either 4x6's or holding out for kickpanels w/ a alpine component system in them...

5b) I didn't think I would, but I thought I'd ask anywayz

And one more question...The alpine CD Player says I need a 200 watt amp wiring kit for the cd player...but I will have a ton of 8 ga. left over after the install...so can I use the 8 ga. instead of having to buy some 10 ga?

I am gonna need ALOT more than $800 to finish this off...It is $808 total for the stuff I want not counting wire, distribution block, and the cap...hopefully I can muster up a $350 paycheck from sonic that week
Thanx for the info mudaholic! :hail: Anyone else have some info/ideas?

Last edited by DISTURBthePEACE; 01-29-2003 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I read that all the caps were the same so get the cheapest one. If I remember correctly I read it on here. I think your plans look real nice, REAL NICE. Your car is gonna be LOUD and CLEAN. cant wait to see the pics.
Use 0 ga for the bat to the alt if you can.

Brian
Old 01-29-2003, 02:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Also, is that box partical board? If it is you might want to build another out of 3/4 MDF. Those type rs with 1400 watts are gonna make some serious pressure on that box.

Brian
Old 01-29-2003, 02:47 AM

2) get somethin that looks cool.. dont pay for the extras like digital voltage meter and crap unless you want them.. and make sure you get at least a 16 volt max.. i think 1 farad should be plenty for you, since im assuming you're going to keep the gains modest on the amp, as type-rs cant take the full power of the 1200.1... and yea, you only need to run the sub amp through the cap. as for underhood wiring, bigger is always gonna be better.. i personally think 4 is probably fine, but if you want you can certainly use somethin bigger.. as long as you make sure the wires are routed right, regular power wire should work fine.. make sure not to touch the headers or anything or they'll melt real quick tho

3) as was mentioned above, if thats not mdf you should pro'ly rebuild that box. and, if you're gonna rebuild it anyway, might want to just stick the divider in, since it wont erally be any hassle, and will help brace your box...

5) hold out for kicks

yea, 8 gauge will work fine instead of 10.. it'll just be a little harder to work with since its big, harder to solder/crimp stuff on to it, but functionally it'll be fine..

as a side note, you work for sonic? right on we dont have them up here, but thats some darn good food.. anyway
Old 01-29-2003, 11:23 AM

go to autozone, they got battery wire there, do not use your amp power wire stuff, it will melt being that close to the engine

that will be a very nice setup btw, be prepared to start cracking trim panels