Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

speaker keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker keeps blowing

i just finished installing the second pair of seperates in 3 weeks in my car. the first set, the midrange on the drivers side blew almost right away, while the passenger side sounded fine. i just thought i simply blew em and so i replaced them with a better pair. i installed them, the same thing happened again, the drivers side blew about 3 weeks of sound, then the passenger side blew a little while later. i have seperates in the rear too, but they sound fine. i have a ppi five channel amp, i think its 60*4 watts at 2 ohms, and 120 to the sub. the first pair of speakers that where blown where MB Quart 4 inchers. they were replaced with Fosgate 4 inchers, the Q series. the fosgates where to handle 100 watts rms and 200 max. i think this is a problem with the wiring or the amp, not the speakers. what to do you think??

thanks

daniel
Old 09-27-2000, 08:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
What frequency is the high pass crossover set at for the separates?

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 09-28-2000, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey jim,

the frequency response of the two crossovers is 70Hz-20kHz. i dont know what the actual measurement is at the midranges becuase i just assume that the crossover filters out the high frequncies and keeps the low ones. what are you getting at here jim, im a little confused. do u think that the crossover isnt filtering out the frequncies that are too low for this particular speaker, and maybe that causes it to blow? that really doesnt make any sense to me cuz the seperates in the rear seem to be workin just fine. this is also the second set ive blown, which means that im using a seocnd set of crossovers. both sets where brand new. on a another note, i didnt install this and its not even my car, but when i pulled off the speaker grills i noticed that the installer ran the wire from the amp into one slot, and 3 wires came out. 1 for the midrange and 2 for the 2 (two) tweeters he has on each side. could that for some reason cause it to blow?

thanks

daniel
Old 09-29-2000, 08:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
I would believe the freq. responce would be of the actual component speakers, measured as a whole. as far as the crossove,, it doesn't filter out lows, and especially with a speaker that small,, distortion kills. If you (or anyone)are listening to any music with considerable lows,,, this will easily overdrive the little speaker as it's obviously not designed to do that. There should be a seperate x-over for each side of the car. If I read this right,, you have 2 tweeters hooked to 1 channel of the amp(on the x-over). Most x-overs are labeled to ease installation,, a pair of wires should go into the x-over and a pair of wires should be comming out respective to which driver they are going to. hope that helps any

------------------
<A HREF="http://anzwers.org/free/gta" TARGET=_blank>87 Firebird
84 Camaro</A>
Virtual Racing

- intelligence is learned, ignorance is universal
Old 09-30-2000, 04:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I wasn't concerned about the crossover that came with the speakers. I have no doubts that those crossovers are not to blame. The reason that I think you're blowing speakers is because a full-range signal is being fed to the component system. If your amp is set at a 70hz high-pass (I sort of got that impression from your post but I'm still not really sure) that still may be too low of a frequency being fed to the 4" speakers, which is why they are blowing. If the front and rear speakers are identical, and IF they are playing at the same volume, then I would say that something else was to blame. I have a feeling that the rear speakers are either not being fed the same signal, or they are not playing as loud. What I think you need to do to ensure that this doesn't continue to happen is raise the crossover frequency of the signal being sent to the components. When dealing with 4" speakers, it becomes a comprimise. If you raise the crossover frequency of the components, you either have a gap in sound between the components and the sub, or if you raise the crossover on the sub to match, you now force the sub to play higher than what is ideal. In cases like this, sometimes it's better to run a larger driver in the rear where there is room, and taylor the crossover so that the front speakers play from 150hz and up, and the rear, larger speakers play from 70-80hz and up.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah