Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

New Camaro radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Camaro radio problems

I have just bought an 88 Camaro Z28 5.7 TP... here in the UK. The radio is not working correctly at the moment.
First problem is that when the engine is running and the radio is turned off there is a lot of noise 'buzzing' coming from the speakers. I think it is an interference/suppression problem. What I tend to do is to turn the volume right down but not switch it off when I dont want any sounds/music.
Second problem is that there is no sound from the left speakers. To be more exact I have tested the 'amplified' speakers and they are OK I believe the fault is in the radio. As a tempory measure all 4 speakers are wired to the right channel. Hence no stereo.
Does anyone know of a fix to the above questions? Thanks in advance

Simon Holtby

88 Camaro IROC 5.7 TPI
Delco/Bose radio
Old 10-24-2000, 10:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
If you getting sound when the radio is turned off, it sounds like one or more of the speaker wires is chaffed and is making contact with the chassis. I would suspect that its the left side since you mention that they do not work right. You'll either have to find and repair the wire or just run a new length of speaker wire.

------------------
-Justin-
T-Top '86 5.0L LG4 700R4 WS6 Now Bilstein equipped!
T-Top '92 5.0L TBI 700R4
My '86 Firebird Homepage
The F-body Model Kit Pictoral Archive (updated 9/18/00)

There can be only one!!

[This message has been edited by Justins86bird (edited October 24, 2000).]
Old 10-25-2000, 11:05 PM

OK, if youre running into problems like buzzing or screeching even when the radio is off, its a good chance its youre amplified speaker.If im correct, you said you had a delco/bose system.Each speaker should be individually amplified by the bose amplifiers.Though it seems strange, thats how the bose speaker amps usually act, or they dont even work at all.Im willing to bet that its the amplifiers in the speakers.I work in an audio shop and we see them all the time out of Maximas and infinitis.

------------------
1987 TransAm
350 sbc
Holley 750 Vac sec
Edelbrock Performer Rpm Heads/Intake/Cam
Flowtech Ceramic Headers
Crane Roller tip Rockers/pushrods
Flowmaster Muffler
Old 10-26-2000, 11:05 AM

Like Trnsam87 said, each speaker is individually amplified. In each location, there should be a Bose enclosure containing a speaker and a one-channel amplifier. There should be four wires. The two thick ones are for power and the two thin ones are the music signal from the radio.

If all four speakers work when hooked up to the right side of the radio, then I would agree with you that the left channel of the radio is bad.

As for the buzzing...well, it would seem that the amps are staying on, even when the radio is switched off. Does anyone know if the Bose amps are triggered on/off by the radio, or do they receive constant power and simply "sense" when music is coming down the two thin wires?

If you're in the UK, your FM radio must tune to even frequencies, like 102.0, 102.2, and so on, right? Forget about buying a used factory radio from America, because we use odd frequencies, 102.1, 102.3, et cetera.

Maybe you could start buy buying an aftermarket radio and one of those adapters to make it work with the Bose system and see how it works.
Old 10-26-2000, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.
Yes there is nothing coming out of the left channel of the radio. I have proved this by swopping speakers over etc. This radio system (DELCO/BOSE) is like no other I have seen with individually amplified speakers. To be honest I do not think it sounds very good, bass is OK but treble is lacking it could do with some tweeters wiring in. The buzzing is strange like I said it is only when the radio is switched off and the engine is running. Turn the volume right down but not off and it is OK.
I am not convinced it is a wire shorting to the chassis as this would cause the problem when the volume is turned up, would it not?
Yes I suppose there must be power to the speakers when the radio is off. If there was not it may fix the problem.
I'm in no hurry to fix this fault but I think I will disconnect the speakers from the radio and see if the buzzing continues this may prove if the interferance is from the radio or speakers/cables. I'll also try to find which speakers buzz.
Most stations in my area are locked on to even channels e.g 96.6 so this is a bit frustrating but I dont plan on changing the radio as I like to keep my cars 'original'.

Regards

Simon

'88 Camaro 5.7 TPI

P.S just ordered an owners manual and DIY guide from Chevy for $30, postage was $82!! hope it is worth it.
Old 10-27-2000, 10:49 AM

I do agree with you about trying to keep the car looking original. But it does seem that your existing radio is no good in any event.

If you can find any other General Motors cars in the European junkyards, you could get a used radio there. The main difference between the Bose and non-Bose radios, is that the non-Bose has an amplifier built in. If you don't like the sound of the Bose system, just get a non-Bose radio, and four regular aftermarket speakers, and bypass the Bose amps. If you want to do it, I'll tell you how.