Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

2004 Montana radio in '85 T/A ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am
Engine: base 305
Transmission: auto
2004 Montana radio in '85 T/A ?

I want to put a 2004 Delco cassette/CD deck in my '85. It will physically fit but I'm wondering about the wiring. Is ther an adapter out there somewhere or I can get a pigtail and wire it into the original radio plugs?

Is it that easy or is there something else involved that I don't know about?

TIA for any help and advice you can give me.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: CharlesOdoryOB
Transmission: 87587369775
Axle/Gears: CharlesOdory
Re: 2004 Montana radio in '85 T/A ?

You can do it. I just adapted a 1998 Pontiac tape radio with the seven sliders for my 87 formula. There are plug adapter kits on fleabay that convert 1980's plugs to later gm radios. Cost for the adapter plug was 6 dollars. You might have to trim the back of the hole the radio goes in though. I also installed an aux mp3 plug adapter in it while I had it out. very easy. I just noticed that that might be a double din radio, if so, thats a problem.

Louis

Last edited by Ct1987; 12-01-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73

2004 are class 2 serial bus radios. It can be done (as in my avatar), but it will need the matched DIM (Dash Interface Module, usually the power mode master by design) to power it on (serial bus radios are wired hot all the time), and may need the matched IPM (Instrument Panel Integration Module) to control the dimming of the LCD display (part of the automatic lighting/DRL scheme, it will default dark otherwise, however the back lighting of the buttons is conventional ). I say matched modules because a mismatch of the VIN causes the Theftlock mode to activate (not like the earlier code entry radios) as soon as the ignition is on.
The are some work arounds (any will power on for up to ten minutes by pressing the scan >, 5 and power together with only power to the radio without any serial bus comm, mismatched modules can be run if it never registers 'ignition on', only the accessory setting), and removing a particular EEPROM on some earlier radios would allow some functionality. To the best of my knowledge, the EEPROM removal bricks the radios by 2004.
It is a double din radio, which is one of the things I really like, besides features, sound, and ease of aux input when used with an XM module.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like It's a bit beyond me. I'll just get an older cassette deck and use the FM modulator I have with an MP3 player.

Too bad as the deck would have looked factory with it's lighter grey buttons.
The following users liked this post:
jsnico (02-16-2021)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:05 PM

It is a shame, as the first generation GM double din radios are pretty cool, and Pontiac used some (Bonneville, Gran Prix, Grand Am, Montana) that do look look period correct for older vehicles (unique orange/red LCD display and button lighting, though the bulbs used in them are terrible, I switched to LEDs). There are some even with a single external amp as an option, though most (maybe all) could be used with or without the external (self attenuating when the radio 'saw' the external amp, programmed into the firmware) There are pros and cons to some of them, depending on which body the radio was originally installed. While the faces all look the same, the Bonneville (and its corporate stable mates the LeSabre and Aurora) used the Dock and Lock connector (pictured below, because no rear access in the dash) which adds another dimension in trying to retrofit. Needed more cooling, that is a socket 462 heat sink I added on the side.

DIM and IPM connected to radio test setup

LED lighting, missing *****

Almost 1984 correct looking with the brushed aluminum added to the black *****. Note the OBD2 connector on the bottom left if I ever need to talk to the monstrosity with a GM Tech II scanner.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Looks like you do some pretty cool work there CorvairGeek.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
Looks like you do some pretty cool work there CorvairGeek.
I really appreciate that.

A smart fellow over on Firebird Nation had done a really nice, earlier serial bus radio transplant into his F body, but I couldn't find anything regarding the late radios. I was attracted to this one because of the dual ***** resembling the old dual shaft radios.

I was going to use the one below, but it just didn't do it for me after I bought it.

It may not look like it, but the face is nearly perfect.

I was probably more impressed looking at it next to the cool instrument cluster, works perfectly though. Oddly, it uses the 80s style connections on the back, even though this is a 1992 model (a weird Olds A-body carry-over, Buick had already changed so steering wheel controls could be offered).

I studied and looked at a lot of options. Really wasted a lot of time, but learned a lot.

One of my many test fits with available parts and vehicles.

Ultimately, I decided on the most difficult solution, electronically.

All ready to go in the car. Lots of pieces from the donor (2005 LeSabre) so I could build the harness.

A few months later I added two more modules and an assembled fuse and relay panel for keyless entry. A security system too if you lock the doors with the remote while they are open. GM called it the 'content theft system', IIRC.
Sorry it's sideways

Sideways again
I'd really like to add Crossfire or TPI to my LG4 next. I might have to settle with a single TBI.

Last edited by CorvairGeek; 12-02-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=CorvairGeek;6186840]I really appreciate that.

A smart fellow over on Firebird Nation had done a really nice, earlier serial bus radio transplant into his F body, but I couldn't find anything regarding the late radios. I was attracted to this one because of the dual ***** resembling the old dual shaft radios.

I was going to use the one below, but it just didn't do it for me after I bought it.

It may not look like it, but the face is nearly perfect.

That's the same radio I had in my '82 Firebird S/E over 15 years ago. I could live with another one of those in my current T/A if I could find one with the correct grey faceplate and buttons.